Hello out there. I hope you are all doing well, staying healthy, staying safe, and of course staying home. I would say sharing a quickbread recipe might seem odd at a time like this, but it seems baking is all the rage during these difficult and unexpected times.
How are you coping? Are you, for lack of a better word, okay?
We are in the privileged position of both parents being able to work from home with minimal financial repercussions and (hopefully) no long-lasting effects to our jobs. But it has been hard, trying to put in full days of work while also trying to help our kids put in full days of school/elearning. Though we have finally had a few nice days, much of this self-quarantine/stay at home has involved a ton of rain, a fair amount of snow, cold and dreary days, and even some golf ball-sized hail.
But, here we are. We are okay.
As you may know I am not much of a baker in general but I thought we better make *something* to pass *some* time over a weekend (what is a weekend?). Originally I wanted to make Greek Easter bread (tsoureki) but the store was out of bread flour – actually it was out of ALL flour on the last visit. (I think this is because everyone is making sourdough without me.)
Without any real additions in our house (like blueberries, chocolate or cinnamon chips, etc.) we went with a pretty basic cinnamon bread made with pantry samples. I made quite a few changes to the recipe, including reducing the sugar overall, using brown sugar and pecans for the swirl, and adding vanilla and almond extracts, and baking powder to the batter. The batter seemed a little dense and thick pouring it into the loaf pan, but the texture turned out perfectly.
Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread
- 10 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 1 loaf
- 2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a loaf pan with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk or beat together the buttermilk, egg, extracts, and oil. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined with a hand mixer or spatula.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle about half of the brown sugar mixture across the batter. Gently pour over the remaining batter. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar mixture on the top, and then use a butter knife to gently swirl it into the batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Combine the sifted confectioners sugar and milk to desired consistency (it will be a very small amount of milk). Drizzle over the loaf.