Jalapeño Popper Chicken

July 24, 2012 · 151 comments

in chicken/poultry

I’ve seen so many versions of this dish, but Jessica’s picture (and possibly the fact that I was starving) finally nudged me into sticking it to the menu the following week. We used to have some form of stuffed chicken every week and for whatever reason we haven’t had it much lately. It was time.

Now, I adore jalapeño poppers. And by “adore” what I really mean is “could eat them by the truckload.” They have pretty much everything going for them, including a little spice, some crunch, and creamy cheese. Plus, they’re fried, which automatically makes them good.

This chicken combines the great things about poppers and puts them into a much lighter and less guilty chicken dish. Chicken breasts are stuffed with a cheesy jalapeño mixture and then rolled in crispy panko and baked.  I used a method America’s Test Kitchen uses for panko breading, which is to toast it in a pan with a little bit of oil before breading. This ensures it stays nice and crisp, and I find it’s a better way to get the chicken to brown up nicely, vs. just using cooking spray.

The jalapeño I used was a bit of a dud, so I wish I would have used a second one (or at least a better one) so, don’t be like me and make sure you try your jalapeño first, to figure out how much you want to add.

Asiya July 24, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I love jalapeno poppers and this is a great idea! Looks great!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up July 25, 2012 at 2:55 am

Yours looks so good! That second picture with the cheese oozing out?? Yum! Stinks your jalapeno was a dud, hopefully next time you’ll get a spicier one!

Joanne July 25, 2012 at 5:45 am

You just can’t go wrong when you make something crispy on the outside and cheesy on the inside! That’s a recipe for awesomeness!

Krissy@DaintyChef July 25, 2012 at 7:49 am

This looks amazing, that second picture sealed the deal for me to make this soon!

Amy July 25, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh man, this looks delicious!!

Emily @ She Makes and Bakes July 25, 2012 at 10:19 am

My husband loves jalapeno poppers, and I think this chicken would be a big hit at our house. I’ll have to try it soon!

Erin July 25, 2012 at 11:12 am

Looks like perfection! I have made a jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed chicken before but not with bacon too, yum!

elly July 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

I did debate adding bacon to it, but I needed the bacon for another meal. Next time!

Elvia July 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

OMG! This looks delicious!!! Gonna definitely try it soon! *SLURP*

Tracey July 25, 2012 at 11:41 am

Ok this sounds absolutely amazing! My jalapeno plant is producing peppers faster than I can use them, so always looking for more ideas.

Brianna July 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I know what we’re making next week! Also, I’ve never heard if that toasting the panko tip. That’s an awesome idea. I’m now officially starving after looking at YOUR picture too. Thanks :)

Krystal R {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} July 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm

So jealous that you enjoyed this, too. I had this on my menu for this week, but I had to make a different chicken dish for an upcoming swap. But I’ll take note and add the extra jalapenos…that cheese oozing out is hypnotizing. It’s an evil spell telling me to make it soon! ahhhhhh!!

Denise July 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm

This looks so good that I think I might come and kill you. That is not meant in a nasty way, but I just don’t know how else to express myself.

PS I am also a big fan of parentheses (though being English, I usually call them brackets).
Now to find Panko (is it me, or does this word sound like a type of slightly erotic underwear?). Sorry, is this too much for a first comment?

PPS (http://likedontlike.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/bracket-oh-bracket-i-heart-you/)

elly July 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Nah, I love it. ;)

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul July 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Well, it looks like i have dinner sorted tonight! What a super, creative dish. And I will remember that tip about the panko for future baked dishes. Thanks Elly!

Anne July 26, 2012 at 9:23 am

This looks SO good! I’m seriously considering scrapping my original dinner plans for tonight and making this instead!

Chris Petrucci July 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

This looks soooo yummy and I’m definitly going to try it!! But is there a spot where I can go get the nutional facts (only cause I’m on Weight Watchers, and I want to figure the points out). But trust me, that won’t stop me from trying this!!

elly July 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

Chris, I usually enter things into sparkrecipes.com. You can add all the ingredients and then divide by the number of servings to get the nutritional facts.

Anna July 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Looks so good! I am not a big chicken eater, but I would throw all hesitations out the door for this one.

Jessica July 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I for one am obsessed with jalapeno poppers, and this looks like the perfect slightly indulgent meal! yum yum yum

Juliana July 26, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Wow, this chicken with jalapeno sound and look great…like the idea of the spicy chicken and the melting cheese all together…yum!
Hope you are having a nice week Elly :)

Tia July 29, 2012 at 11:11 pm

YES, YES, YES!! I made this Thursday night and it is officially my new favorite dish to make. My boyfriend was in heaven although next time I ask him to help dice the jalapenos, I’ll remind him to wear gloves or use a kitchen towel. Poor guy’s fingers were on fire for 2 days!! lol. This is a great spin on plain old chicken breasts! Yum!!

elly July 30, 2012 at 7:12 am

Glad you liked it, Tia! I always tell myself I need to wear gloves around jalapenos and never remember. Not a good thing most of the time. :)

erika September 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Making this for dinner tonight. Here’s a tip, try putting the peppers in a small blender to chop instead of doing it with a knife. My husband loves the flavor of peppers, but doesn’t like the “crunch”, so I always do this with them. Also, trying stuffing pork loin with the cream cheese and pepper combo, then wrap it all in bacon!!

Chelsea July 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I just made this- my dad and I loved it. I hope it’s okay, I linked to this page on my cooking blog so people could see your recipe. I put the link up there in case you want to check it out. It was absolutely amazing, and I will definitely make it again! Thanks for the recipe!

elly July 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I’m so glad you and your dad enjoyed it, Chelsea!

Kerstin July 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I am always looking for new yummy chicken breast recipes – these look great!

Peter @Feed Your Soul August 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm

love the twist. love peppers. i will be trying this one.

Tricia August 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I just made this recipe for dinner tonight. To.Die.For!!! Not only was it simple to make, but had such incredible flavor! Best chicken recipe I have made in years!

elly August 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm

So glad you liked it, Tricia!

mariah gardner August 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I do not have an oven proof rack, can I make this in a glass baking dish instead?

elly August 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm

You can make it in a glass baking dish. The bottom might lose a little of its crispness.

Suzanne August 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm

This looks awesome! Hubs and I both love jalapeno poppers, so this dish is perfect for us. Can’t wait to try it.

erica August 7, 2012 at 10:57 am

Is there anything I can use to create a makeshift oven rack for my pan since I don’t have one.. I am super excited to make these tomorrow night for dinner!!

elly August 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hi Erica. If you have a roasting rack, you can use that flattened. Otherwise, I’d just put them right on a baking sheet. Toasting the panko ahead of time keeps it pretty crisp, so you should be fine. The underside might not be *quite* as crispy but you should be fine (and can always flip mid-way through). A baking stone might be good, too.

Amanda August 7, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I made this recently, and it was amazing. My whole family liked it. I used a pobalano pepper instead of jalapeno, though, so my toddler could eat it too.

elly August 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Awesome, glad you all liked it Amanda!

Jenna August 7, 2012 at 6:40 pm

We tried this tonight and loved it! I, too, doubled the jalapeños. I pounded ours thin and folded the chicken around the mixture. It would be delish with a good ranch dip too. Thanks for the and roasting rack tips…I know it made all of the difference :)

elly August 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Happy to hear you enjoyed it, Jenna!

Nikki Craddock August 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm

OMG…just made this tonight and it was soo yummy I already reviewed it on my blog! I linked your blog from mine, just wanted to tell you it was AMAZING!

elly August 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

So happy you enjoyed it!

Brooke August 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Cooking now, should this be cooked covered or uncovered? I have a little jalapeño burn on my fingers, guess it’ll be a good pepper.

elly August 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm

uncovered

Sarah August 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm

This was absolutely incredible! I did not make a single change and it turned out fantastic!!! Thanks for a great recipe!

elly August 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Yay, Sarah! :)

Amanda Turner August 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Oh my GOODNESS!!! Made this last night for dinner and it was AMAZING!!!! We had our neighbors over for dinner bummer cause we didn’t have any left overs for lunch the next day!!! We used Anaheim peppers cause that is what is in our garden and the flavor in these were amazing! The chicken was so moist and the browned panko was a perfect addition to the outside of it! Def. adding this to my favorite list!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Amanda Turner August 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Oh and I also have a nuwave oven and that is what I baked mine in…took half the time! Yummy!!! :D

elly August 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Glad to hear it was a hit, Amanda!

Jenna August 14, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Just made this for dinner tonight – yum!! I didn’t have panko or fresh jalapeño peppers, so I just used italian bread crumbs with the taco seasoning mixed in and chopped up some of my peppers from a jar. It was delicious! Thanks so much!

Nicole August 15, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Made this last night for dinner (saw it on Pinterest and it was review of the day) and it was sooooooo delicious! Thanks for sharing! I wish I had made more- it’s a keeper! I linked back to you in my blog. http://365ishpins.blogspot.com/2012/08/day-69-jalapeno-popper-stuffed-chicken.html

Charlotte August 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I made this for dinner this week and it was unbelievable!!! Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe!! It was so easy and came out perfectly. The added crunch from toasting the panko beforehand really made the dish standout! And the melty, gooey cheese? Who doesn’t love that? Thanks again!

Lanita August 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

This was absolutely delicious. I will be making this again today.

Cheyanne August 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Im cooking this dish right now!!!! Can’t wait to try it. How many calories is this???

elly August 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I’m not sure – it really depends on how big your chicken is, what kind of cheeses you use, etc. I usually enter recipes into sparkrecipes.com to get nutritional value.

me August 24, 2012 at 7:42 am

next time, try using the seeds and membrane, thats the hottest part of a pepper :)

elly August 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

I always use the membrane, but these jalapenos were still really tame. Last year, it seemed like every jalapeno I got was SUPER spicy, which I loved.

Sara August 24, 2012 at 9:28 am

This looks so good. However, it seems odd to use taco seasoning for a jalapeno popper taste?? does it taste like tacos too?

elly August 24, 2012 at 10:08 am

It’s for seasoning the crust. It does not taste like tacos.

Lauren August 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Just made this last night. Came out great! I use the thinly sliced chicken breasts and put two together with the cheese filling in between. I used a few toothpicks to seal them up and they came out beautifully! Will definitely be making this again!!!

Kristen August 29, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Just a little tip from my many years of fine dining and other restaurant work….use serrano peppers instead. Serranos are often used in restaurants because they have a reliable/predictable heat factor. Jalapenos can vary anywhere from 2-10 on the heat scale, while serranos are generally a 6. Using these will prevent having “a dud” or having to taste them all before hand.

*Keep in mind though, the smaller they are, the more kick they have.

Happy cooking! Making this dish tonight!

Melissa Belanger August 31, 2012 at 1:13 am

Wow. Could this be any yummier looking? Another excuse to have jalapeno poppers…yes please! This is amazing :) Can’t wait to try it out.

Krystal September 4, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Tried this tonight for dinner but, took a short cut I had bought one of those new Kraft fresh take meal starters found in the dairy isle. I bought the cheddar bacon one & used this for the crumbs & cheese everything is already pretty mucheasured out for you & after reading the above thought bacon would be a good addition I also switched it up & used the Ortega jalapeno & onion taco seasoning . So yummy I would definitely make this again soon!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) September 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm

That jalapeno chicken looks and sounds so good!

Kelly September 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm

We made this tonight and it was amazing. Toasting the panko along with cooking on a wire rack turned out great and we will definitely be doing that with our other panko recipes. My husband really hates cream cheese so we substituted queso fresco instead and it was a great decision. Probably less gooey/cheesy but the flavor was really great.

April September 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I made this tonight, and it was the best stuffed chicken I have ever had! Thanks for the new go-to recipe!

Jeanette September 15, 2012 at 7:30 pm

This was the most amazing dish! I made extra & had left overs… Will definitely be making this again:-)

colleen September 21, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Just made this, turned out AMAZING! Really easy to follow directions too.

I would say bake for at least 40 minutes though.

Darlene M September 24, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Made this tonight and it was delish! I made them into rolls instead of stuffing them and it worked like a charm!!

Christine September 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Made this tonight…it was awesome and easy to make. I never thought of toasting Panko in oil…great idea to keep it crunchy! Great recipe!

Lindsay September 25, 2012 at 9:14 pm

My husband is a big eater. Is 2 chicken breasts enough? What would I do to add to the ingredients if I did 3?

elly September 25, 2012 at 10:35 pm

You’d need to multiply all the ingredients by 1.5.

Ash September 27, 2012 at 12:30 am

I am hosting a party for 30, can you please tell me how to make it this crowd? Should times everything by 15? Isn’t that much? Thank you!

elly September 27, 2012 at 7:14 am

Ash, I’ve not made this for a crowd, but that’s what I would do. I would also coat the panko in batches, to be sure it all gets toasted instead of having some get toasted on the bottom but not the top, etc.

Jessica October 11, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Made this for dinner tonight! It was AMAZING!! Favorite thing I have ever made. Can’t wait to play around with the recipe…but it is fabulous the way it is

Js October 15, 2012 at 11:35 am

Like a dummy I didn’t read the directions right and added the taco seasoning to the cheese mixture and stuffed the chicken…hope it’s going to be ok. :/

Diane October 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Myself and my other 2 sisters have been on a diet watching are carbs and fat . My sister came across this recipe and she made it tonight . We 3 take turns cooking for all of us as then we do not have a lot of leftovers. Well she made this tonight and I can only say one word…UUUUUUmmmmmmmmmmm HHHHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmm. It was fabulous . I can wait to have it again , it was mouth watering . What flavors this has .

Nikki October 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Elly I don’t like cream cheese in my poppers and normally when I get jalapeno poppers from a casual restaurant they come with cheese other than cream cheese…. do you think I could substitute the cream cheese for another type of cheese?? What would you recommend since I’m not a big fan of cream cheese? Thanks!

elly October 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I prefer poppers with cheddar instead of sour cream, but the cream cheese (and cheddar combo) really works well with this chicken. If you don’t want to use it I would just use cheddar (or whatever kind of cheese you like) but the filling just won’t be as creamy.

chers October 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I have been meaning to make this for awhile and i finally made it tonight!! Came our absolutely amazing!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Katie October 24, 2012 at 8:37 am

Hey! I made this last night, I thought I was all ready to go, turned out I wasn’t, however I improvised and it turned out fantastic! I did not buy thick chicken breasts, bought thin ones (problem 1), I also could not find fresh jalepenos, bought canned instead (problem 2), I had no toothpicks… :( (problem 3). So instead I pounded out the thin breasts, used canned jalepenos and rolled them up, placing the filled chicken on a baking sheet (I used a casserole pan), with the overlapping sides down. I was also short on time. So I turned the heat up to 425* and the time they cooked down to 20-25 minutes. Despite all the challenges turned out great! Also, good for quick preparation with canned goods on hand, versus fresh. Thanks for the recipe! Its definately a family favorite!

Pam Watkins November 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm

thanks so much for this recipe, I had a good year for peppers and am looking of ideas to use them up in.

Alicious November 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Holy crap! This is amazing. Browning the Pablo really does make it crisp as if it were fried!!! Thank you!

Madeline Schmidt November 10, 2012 at 8:30 pm

My boyfriend and I made this tonight with two of our friends, and it turned out wonderfully! We added a little bit of parmesan cheese to the panko (we actually used bread crumbs because they were handy) and it was delicious! Came out just like the picture! Everyone that walked through the room at our college tried it, and loved it! This will definitely be a regular meal for us!

Scottie November 28, 2012 at 10:14 am

This was the best chicken I have ever tasted! Even my picky eaters LOVED it! Thank you.

Miranda December 3, 2012 at 11:21 am

would a cooling rack work to bake them on?? im kind of confused on what to use for the “wire rack”?

elly December 3, 2012 at 11:25 am

Yep, that’s what I use.

mjhjane December 17, 2012 at 8:15 am

Made this last night…. Turned out pretty good! Did a couple things different. I used chopped canned jalapeño instead (all that we had). I also pounded the chicken breasts flat, placed the cream cheese mixture in the middle, and then rolled it up and secured with a tooth pick. Very yummy!

Abbey December 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

Any suggestions for a great side dish to pair with this?

elly December 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

Since the chicken is already breaded, I didn’t want to go too carby and served it with a salad with ranch dressing. Anything will be fine with it though, like rice (cheesy rice if you want even more cheese), and/or any green veg. I think corn fritters or bread would be good, too.

Ashley January 11, 2013 at 10:30 am

What is panko? and is there a substitute for it because after googling it, seems like its not sold locally alot.

Thanks

elly January 11, 2013 at 10:50 am

Panko is Japanese bread crumbs. They get a lot crispier than traditional breadcrumbs, but you can use regular ones as a sub. Panko used to be hard to find a few years ago but now I see it everywhere, so hopefully you can find it.

Jody Clark January 23, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I made this today, it was awesome! Thanks for the great pin.

Nicole January 24, 2013 at 3:55 am

I got this from a friend that stumbled upon this from pinterest! It was amazing!!!!!!!!!

michelle January 25, 2013 at 11:38 pm

this looks amazing and so easy

Dana January 28, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Made this last night and it was delicious! Thank you for an amazing recipe to be added to our regular rotation!

Jeff February 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I love all that gooey-ness in there! And some great crunch going on there as well! Delicious!

Landon February 6, 2013 at 12:51 pm

We are gluten free at our house, so Panko is out of the question, but try grinding up some tortilla chips, or broken taco shells, I usually just keep a large ziplock around and dump the crumbs and broken chip leftovers from our tortilla chips and then use them to bread with. They brown nicely and add a nice corn flavor to Mexican food especially. add a little corn meal if you don’t have enough chip crumbs to finish your dish. Man this looks good though, I can see this on the menu soon!

Chef dePaprika March 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

A very nice version of the Jalapeno poppers.
I must try it out.

Myrna March 18, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Just made this last night and it was amazing! A must try!

Kristin March 26, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I saw this recipe on Pinterest this past summer. It has become a family favorite – thank you for posting it! I love that it’s easy to adapt to life in China (some ingredients can be hard to find on occasion) and to everyone’s tastes. Lots of jalapeños for the hubby, none for the kids, & just a teeny bit for me. :)

Shellye April 1, 2013 at 6:10 pm

This is sooo yummy. I added another twist to your recipe…BACON!! I pre-cooked my bacon, cut into small pieces and added it to the cream cheese mixture…talk about heaven!! Just awesome!

Bre May 14, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Should I use canned jalapenos if I’m wanting to tame down the spice for my 4 yr old? Or do you think it would be enough for her to handle with the fresh?

elly May 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Bre – it really just depends on the jalapeno. Some of them are not even all that spicy, so it’s hard to tell. My 2yo son ate this without issue. We used 1 jalapeno and it wasn’t really a very spicy one.

Bre May 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Okay. Thank you!!! :)

Henna July 2, 2013 at 7:50 am

I’ve made this several times already, and each time it tastes better than the last! I finally made a blogpost about it!

elly July 2, 2013 at 8:33 am

Glad to hear you like it so much!

Mike August 28, 2013 at 3:52 am

You have a typo in your recipe. It says serves two when it should say a double recipe serves one.

elly August 28, 2013 at 7:35 am

Hah! :)

Missy August 28, 2013 at 4:44 am

This was really good…only one problem….all my cheesy goodness melted right out and onto the pan. I scraped and added it to the top.

Brooke September 24, 2013 at 8:30 am

I just got married and made this for our first meal at home and boy was it a hit! There was so much flavor and the jalapeno with the cheese was A-MAZING! I actually used minced jalapeno from a jar and I found that to be much spicier. Thanks for the recipe!

Leah October 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I’ve made this a couple times now and everyone in my house loves it! I use green chiiles instead of jalapeno’s …turns out awesome!

Anna October 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm

This was delicious! Thanks.

Courtney October 28, 2013 at 8:54 am

I’ve made this twice now and it is a family favorite! LOVE everything.single.thing.about it! I even used jarred peppers this last time to give it some more kick. Delicious!!!

Rosalie November 6, 2013 at 11:50 pm

After seeding the peppers I brown them in a cast iron skillet then let them steam in a plastic baggie for about 20 minutes then mince them. Same when I make poppers. Gives the dish another layer of flavor. Wonderful recipe.

Rosie November 26, 2013 at 10:34 pm

This. was. so. good!!!!! Made it tonight and am already furious that I don’t have leftovers. Fantastic :)

Gina Marie January 1, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I do not know why I did not put 2 and 2 together lol but this dish is amazing and it can be done on the cheap side of price!! That right there makes it a complete winner in my eyes and the fact that my hubby wanted me to make it the following night again says Ohhh Yeahhhh you are a keeper!!!

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Ashley January 7, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I would love to make this tonight! Do you think bread crumbs in place of the panko would be fine?

elly January 8, 2014 at 10:36 am

It would be fine Ashley, just not quite as crisp. I would skip the toasting step and just spray with cooking oil.

Michelle Bates-Phipps January 10, 2014 at 10:18 pm

made these tonight, substituting pickled jalapeno slices with the juice drained for fresh jalapeno. It turned out delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Caitlin February 2, 2014 at 12:24 pm

This was fantastic, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I posted my own pictures on my blog, smokeyoven.weebly.com. I linked here for the recipe and have to thank you because this will be a staple in our household.

Yummy!

elly February 2, 2014 at 6:22 pm

So glad you liked it!

Holley March 18, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Made this tonight!
It was so yummy!! I’m notma great cook, but this turned out amazing and my boyfriend couldn’t have been more impressed!
Thank you for sharing!