Meatless Monday: Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

May 6, 2012 · 35 comments

in beans and legumes,healthy,mexican/tex-mex,potatoes,vegetarian

I keep a lot of random lists in Evernote, one of which includes things I want to cook (typically, ideas I have for original recipes). One of the items I have on that list is “stuffed sweet potatoes (black beans, queso fresco, chipotle, etc.)” So clearly when I came across Nikki’s post for Southwestern stuffed sweet potatoes and realized someone had already done all the work for me, I added these to our menu.

I had high hopes for these, because I love all the ingredients. And despite those high hopes, these stuffed sweet potatoes actually surpassed my expectations. Even as recently as a couple of years ago, if you would have told me that sweet potatoes and black beans were a great combo, I probably would have given you the side eye. But, I’ve definitely come to find out it’s true.

These sweet potatoes are packed full of our favorite things – black beans, chipotles, spices, corn, and lots of cheese. I’ve come to adore sweet potatoes and butternut squash with some heat from peppers (forget that marshmallow and sugar nonsense), and the sweet and heat work so well in this dish. Plus, the beans provide protein and make these very filling.

I made the entire meal, from start to finish in the cast iron skillet (baked the potatoes, sauteed the corn and onions, put the stuffed potatoes back in there and stuck it under the broiler).  About 30 seconds after I stuck these under the broiler, Zachary was running around, fell, and bit his lip. Of course, as I was tending to  him, I kind of forgot about the potatoes so mine were a little….well done. Caramelized, if you will. Thankfully, they still tasted fabulous.

Blog is the New Black May 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Who needs meat when you can have these?!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up May 6, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I’m a weird person and I actually like my cheese topped meals to be a little more on the “well done” side. Nothing better than brown crispy cheese! Which is probably a good thing, because I’ve done the same thing as you several times and forgotten about food that is under the broiler! They still look delicious and are on my to-do list!

Ann P. May 7, 2012 at 2:18 am

For Monday dinner, YES. I am on a huge sweet potato kick, and it seems like you answered my prayers with this post. SO GOOD looking!

Joanne May 7, 2012 at 5:46 am

Oh yes, I remember out twitter convo about these and Zach’s lip. I’m so glad they were tasty (even though a tad bit extra caramelized) because they sound like they SHOULD be uber delicious. I’m a big fan of sweet+heat also. I just bought a big bag of sweet potatoes so this recipe really comes in handy.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar May 7, 2012 at 6:33 am

These sound absolutely lovely!

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles May 7, 2012 at 7:47 am

I made these as well and posted on my blog about it last week. They are AWESOME!

Elvia May 7, 2012 at 7:49 am

I’m not a big fan of sweet potato, but these look delish! Definitely going to try these this week. I love your recipes!

elly May 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

Elvia, I wasn’t really a fan of sweet potatoes until pretty recently. Now I can’t get enough. :)

Nicole, RD May 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

Love! Corn and sweet potatoes…mmm!!!

Brianna May 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Mmm, one of my favorite flavor combos, chipotle and sweet potato! Actually, love all the ingredients in this dish. You’ve done it again Elly. I check your blog after lunch and yet I’m suddenly hungry again :)

Cara May 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I love when other people do the work for me! Your list-keeping sounds quite similar to mine :)

Nikki May 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I need to get better at list taking, because ideas pop into my mind all of the time, then out they go, never to be found again. ;) So, Evernote is a good tool? I recently downloaded it on my KindleFire, but haven’t used it yet.

Coincidentally, we are having these potatoes again tonight! I’m really glad they exceeded your expectations, Elly. Even if they did get a bit “caramel-y”. hehe! (And, your photo is GREAT!)

elly May 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I love Evernote and am actually going to post something later this week about how I use it for meal planning, too. :)

Nikki May 7, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Oh, good! Can’t wait to see! :)

Anna May 8, 2012 at 2:21 am

These look so delicious and fabulous. What a brilliant idea! Bookmarked all the way. And, extra crunch is always good.

Sarah May 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I will literally be making these for dinner tomorrow. The ingredients are like staples in my apartment. Cutting out some prep time though and roasting the potatoes while I get ready for work in the morning. Thanks for the fabulous recipe!

LP @dishclips May 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm

This is comfort food to the highest level.

Tara January 9, 2013 at 8:45 am

This recipe was awesome, Elly! Made it once for dinner this week and will be making it again for lunch this weekend. Thanks for another great one!

Beth May 19, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hi -
I pinned this recipe several weeks ago & it has been repinned so many times. I am going to make them this week & can’t wait! Thanks for the amazing recipe.

Beth

Shan February 19, 2014 at 12:05 pm

This recipe was delicious.thank you so much

elly February 19, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Glad you liked it, Shan!

Leah March 5, 2014 at 9:26 am

We had these for dinner last night. They were really good. I only put in two chipotles and one was pretty small, it could have used a little more spice, also next time (and there will definately be a next time) I want to put more of the adobe sauce in it. I love the smokey taste of chipotle and adobe sauce with sweet potatoes.

elly March 5, 2014 at 9:31 am

Glad you liked them, Leah! We are big fans of adobo sauce too. These are also good topped with the avocado cream from this post. Mmm. http://ellysaysopa.com/2011/10/17/black-bean-patties-with-corn-relish-and-avocado-cream/

Rachel April 9, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I’m really bad about commenting on people’s blogs when I love their stuff (my bad!) but I HAD to come here and say how awesome this stuff is!!! I tolerate baked sweet potatoes well enough, but I LOVE these! Thank you thank you thank you!

elly April 9, 2014 at 8:44 pm

So glad you liked them, Rachel! It took me a while to come around to sweet potatoes, but these definitely did the trick!

Marcy August 19, 2014 at 6:05 am

Do you think I could prep these earlier in the day and stick them in the fridge so they are ready to just pop under the broiler when I get home from work?

elly August 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

Marcy, yes, as long as they are tightly wrapped. However, you may want to microwave them for just a little beforehand, otherwise the short time under the broiler will not warm them through.

Subrina August 27, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I tried this recipe yesterday and oh my goodness. So delicious! Thanks for sharing!

elly August 27, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Happy to hear you liked it, Subrina!

{ 6 trackbacks }