Stuffed Mushrooms for Annie's Virtual Baby Shower!

February 2, 2011 · 22 comments

in appetizers,goat cheese

I’m sure you remember Annie, who hosted our very recent virtual holiday party and who was also nice enough to make cupcakes to announce my pregnancy last October.  Well, of course when Courtney emailed me to ask if I wanted to be part of a virtual baby shower for Annie, I said yes!  Annie is expecting her second child, a baby girl, in just 10 short weeks.  I could not possibly be any more thrilled for her.  This little girl is going to have some great parents, not to mention one insanely cute big brother!

(If you’re not sure what that awesome sign is all about, it’s a play on an Office episode, which happens to be one of Annie’s favorite shows.  Pillow or TV? I’m sure at this point in time, Annie would definitely choose pillow.)

I wanted to make something savory for Annie’s shower, and decided on stuffed mushrooms.  To make them a little more special, I added some pancetta in addition to the goat (and cream) cheese. Stuffed mushrooms typically tend to be a crowd please (except for those crazy people who don’t like mushrooms), and these are no different.  I know my husband and I did not have any problems inhaling them.

Plenty of other great food bloggers also contributed to Annie’s shower, and you would be remiss if you did not check out their posts! Be sure to look at Courtney’s blog, Cook Like a Champion, as well as Annie’s blog, Annie’s Eats, for the round up of all the delicious shower goodies we virtually shared!

Goat Cheese and Pancetta Stuffed Mushrooms

print Printer Friendly Recipe

8 oz. stuffing mushrooms (about 12 mushrooms)
2 tsp. olive oil plus additional for drizzling
2 oz. pancetta, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. goat cheese, softened
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
~1 Tbsp. breadcrumbs

Preheat the oven to 400.

Remove the stems from the mushrooms.  Dice and reserve about 1/3 of the stems and discard the rest (or save to make some stock!).

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and once hot, add the pancetta.  Cook until crisp and then remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.  Turn the heat to medium and add the garlic and reserved mushroom stems, cooking until tender.  Add to the bowl with the pancetta and allow to cool for a few minutes.

Stir the goat cheese, cream cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste into the pancetta mixture.  Fill each mushroom cap with the mixture, and top with about 1/2 tsp. breadcrumbs per mushroom cap.  Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender.

Jessica February 2, 2011 at 3:19 am

Love these! I just sent the link to this to my Mom! She was just asking me for a good stuffed mushroom recipe yesterday for Superbowl and I know she will love this one!

Joanne February 2, 2011 at 5:27 am

Oh how super sweet! Annie is one of my favorite bloggers out there and she and her new baby deserve the best! These stuffed mushrooms sounds amazing. that stuffing is truly decadent…goat cheese and pancetta….I’m SO making these for my next family gathering. My parents will go wild!

Annie February 2, 2011 at 6:58 am

Oh.My.GOD Elly!!!!!! I almost died laughing at the “IT IS YOUR SHOWER.” sign. I’ve been wanting someone to do that for my birthday ever since I saw that episode, and so far, no dice. Thanks for being part of this virtual shower. I feel very honored!

elly February 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

haha, I thought you would like it! I tried to make the sign and picture look as dismal as possible. :)

Josie February 2, 2011 at 7:47 am

haha I got a good laugh out of the Office reference too. These mushrooms look awesome – how can you go wrong with goat cheese and pancetta? It was fun “partying” with you again ;-)

Courtney February 2, 2011 at 7:53 am

I cannot wait to make these, Elly. They look so good with the pancetta and goat cheese. I think Eric, who is just starting to like mushrooms, would absolutely love these. I mean, how could anyone not with all those delicious ingredients? Thanks again for participating in the virtual shower! :)

Shanon February 2, 2011 at 8:44 am

Elly-

I am drooling right now. I love stuffed mushrooms, and these look to die for. I made some over the holidays, and all the filling oozed out-a major kitchen fail. And I also loved the Office reference! Awesome!

Shanon :)

Mushrooms Canada February 2, 2011 at 9:26 am

These look delicious, and the photos are mouthwatering! I love using goat cheese in my stuffed mushrooms, haven’t used pancetta though… I will have to try it next time instead of bacon!
- Brittany

Lauren February 2, 2011 at 9:33 am

I love stuffed mushrooms and these look AWESOME!

ash February 2, 2011 at 9:37 am

looks fantastic!

Pennies on a Platter February 2, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hilarious Office reference, Elly! It’s not even 8:00 AM here and I’m wanting to reach through my screen and grab one of those mushroom bites right now. :) Seriously, that filling looks mouth watering!

Kelsey February 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

These look so yummy. I love mushrooms, but with pancetta and goat cheese? Win-win-win.

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) February 2, 2011 at 11:22 am

Oh wow, YUM! You’ve got me craving stuffed mushrooms now, Elly! These look so delicious! It’s been a blast being a part of Annie’s shower with you!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 2, 2011 at 11:32 am

These look absolutely delicious, Elly! What a sweet thing to do for Annie. She’s lucky to have you as a friend, but you’re the lucky one who got to eat these little treats! You have a beautiful blog, and I’m so glad to have found it. Keep up the delicious cooking and baking! :) – Georgia

Rachel February 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Just stumbled across your blog…these stuffed mushrooms look heavenly!!! Can’t wait to take a look around!

Peter February 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I love stuffed mushrooms…full of cheese and not fried…good excuse to eat many!

Ivy February 3, 2011 at 1:49 am

I love anything with muchrooms and these are delicious.

happywhennothungry February 3, 2011 at 8:26 am

These look amazing!!! I can’t wait to try!

Colleen February 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm

These look like quite possibly the most delicious appetizers ever. Yum!

Maria February 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Cute! And these mushrooms are such a great contribution! Delicious little appetizers.

{ 2 trackbacks }