Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters, the Greek Way

December 17, 2006 · 18 comments

in chicken/poultry,greek,potatoes

Tonight we had one of our favorite, super easy dinners: roasted chicken leg quarters and potatoes. It takes about an hour to cook, but under 10 minutes to throw together.  When I was young, we had this meal (but with a whole bird) once a week. I alway stole the drumsticks. So, since I don’t roast whole chickens all that often, I pick the best part of them–the dark meat, of course–to roast for the two of us.

This isn’t really a recipe, but a method. Trust me, you don’t need a recipe. It will taste great, so long as you make it to your personal tastes! And there is no beating this type of roasted potato. I promise.

First, peel and quarter (or eighth) the potatoes (I use 2 small or 1 large russet). Then, add some extra virgin olive oil and the juice of half a large lemon to a baking dish. Add the potatoes and the chicken leg quarters to the baking dish, and turn them around to coat them with the oil and lemon juice. Then, add salt, pepper and dried oregano to the chicken and potatoes. I am very heavy-handed with all of these things, but especially the oregano. Flip them, and salt, pepper & oregano the other sides (keep them skin side up). Add about 1/3 cup of chicken broth to the pan (so it just covers the bottom of the pan, about 1/4″ or so standing). Squeeze the rest of the lemon over the whole thing. Bake it for about 50 minutes at 400*. Check on it 1-2 times to add chicken broth as necessary or baste the chicken with the juices.

For the last 12 minutes the chicken was cooking, I threw some asparagus in the oven. On a baking sheet, just toss the spears in a little olive oil, add some salt and pepper and roast for 10-15 minutes depending on how done you want them. This is the cooking method that started my love affair with asparagus.

michele February 1, 2009 at 6:59 pm

we made this tonite! it came out soo good! ty!!
chrisandmichele (nestie)

Tracey January 12, 2010 at 6:42 pm

My stepfather brought me a HUGE bag of chicken leg quarters and while searching for ideas, I came upon your method. I love lemon and oregano and this was absolutely wonderful! Thank you :)

beer and cheese soup recipe November 30, 2010 at 11:54 am

I think I just found what I’ve been looking for. Gracias! Bookmarking this post immediately! Off to the grocer I go and I will let you know how this turns out!

Jennifer January 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm

This was delicious, although I did remove the chicken after it was finished cooking, turned the oven to 450 and roasted the potatoes a while longer until they were browner like we like them. Awesome recipe!

Leanne February 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I am making this tonight for dinner. I will let you all know how it turned out. I am skipping the lemon, because we are not huge fans. Hopefully, its okay.

linh February 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm

thank you for my new go-to roasted chicken recipe…so super good! like finger lickin good =o)

elly February 19, 2011 at 7:07 am

so glad you liked it, linh!

Kelly December 21, 2011 at 7:17 am

If you thrown in some creole spice mix it is awesome! I’m going to make this again today and try adding some roasted tomato cut into strips.

Rachael February 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’m giving this a try. It looks awesome! I’m adding some carrots tossed in the olive oil mixture as well. Can’t wait for dinner tonight!

Misty July 25, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Hey…. I LOVE this. I added a ton of fresh minced garlic and white wine instead of the broth. My boyfriend said “These are his favorite potatoes ever made”…. I also took off the skin on the chicken quarters. I cannot tell by the pic, did you leave the skin on? Is it better that way?

Thanks for the recipe. It will now be a staple. reminds me of going to a gyro place or Greek restaurant.

elly July 25, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Hi Misty. I’m glad you liked them! I also have a recipe for just the potatoes on my blog (http://ellysaysopa.com/2009/06/18/patates-fournoupatates-psitesgreek-lemon-oregano-roasted-potatoes-whatever-you-call-them-theyre-pretty-much-the-best-thing-ever/). I do leave the skin on the chicken because I LOVE crispy roasted chicken skin.

Donna December 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Thanks! Had the quarters and found your method! Ready to go in the oven now. It looks great already, and my husband will be overjoyed. I am not the cook, he is.
Thanks again!

jessica January 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Cooked the chicken leg quarters following this method and it came out great! Potatoes too. Such an easy week night meal. Our 15 month didn’t care for it though( he usually isn’t picky) maybe it was the lemon? Anyway thanks loved the dish! Will be a go to recipe.

Sonia January 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm

The house is filling up with the aroma of oregano and lemon right now…can’t wait to eat! Thanks for this simple and delicious recipe for leg quarters.

Erin June 23, 2013 at 7:07 am

Was this for two or four chicken legs? And did you use fresh or dried oregano?

elly June 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm

It was for 2 leg quarters (so, drumstick + thigh each) and I use dried.

Emily July 28, 2013 at 8:39 am

So I stumbled upon your site quite by accident and read in one of your posts about being Greek. I used to have a greek roommate whose mother would cook for us all the time (umm…can you say heaven?!). She always made these fabulous lemony potatoes that I could never find a recipe for. So I’m on your site and thinking, maybe just maybe I’ll find them here. And voila! This is going on my dinner menu this month. Thanks!

shannon warren August 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm

we tried your chicken recipe ; WOW , AWESOME ! This is are go-to-recipe! THANK YOU ELLY !