I’ve grown to be quite the fan of the one-pot meal. I mean, what is there not to like, really? Actually, I know the answer to that – things might be unevenly cooked, the texture might be off, etc. I get you. These are some of the qualms I’ve had with one-pot meals in the past but rest assured if they are posted on this page, they are taste-and-texture approved.
So, this meal combines protein, grain, and vegetable (and fungus!) into a full, hearty meal that tastes delicious. The chicken is only cooked part of the time the rice cooks, so you don’t have to worry about it overcooking and drying out (but, this meal is even better with chicken thighs, in my opinion, since it’s much harder to dry those out). The rice is so creamy it has a risotto-like consistency (I KNOW you are side-eyeing that 4 cups of broth to 1.5 cups of rice ratio. I did the same. But trust.), and the green beans stay bright green and crisp, so you aren’t just eating a big bowl of same-textured mush. This meal is pure comfort, in my opinion. And unlike most comfort foods, it’s actually pretty healthy, too!
Full disclosure: My kids are crazy for steamed white rice — but don’t mess with their steamed white rice. Even though they love cheesy pastas and grilled cheese and the like, they do not like cheese in their rice. But, um, Tom and I do? So I continue to make this even though it wasn’t their favorite the first time. They can still eat the chicken and green beans and we usually have this with a salad, too. More cheesy rice for me!
Cheesy Skillet Chicken and Rice with Green Beans
- 15 minutes
- 35 minutes
- 6 servings
- 1.5 lbs. boneless/skinless chicken breast halves (or b/s thighs)
- 2 Tbsp. neutral oil (grapeseed, canola, vegetable, etc.)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1.5 cups white rice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 lbs. green beans, trimmed and cut in half (frozen beans are also fine)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet (for which you have a tight fitting lid) over medium heat until the oil is hot. Lay each chicken breast in the skillet and cook until it's well browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- To the pan, add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, scraping the browned bits off the bottom and edges of the pan, until the mushrooms begin to soften and start to brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add the rice and continue to cook until the edges of the rice turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add the green beans into the skillet, stirring the mixture well. Place the chicken on top of the green beans and rice in a single layer. Cover and continue to cook on low until the beans and rice are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Plate the chicken. Stir in the cheese into the rice mixture, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the chicken.