Gruyere, Arugula, and Prosciutto-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Caramelized Shallot Sauce

April 23, 2014 · 6 comments

in chicken/poultry,healthy,quick and easy

There are a lot of mysteries in the food world, like how do liquid egg whites get beaten into stiff peaks? Why do buttered popcorn jelly beans exist? How come every time you drop a piece of toast, the side with the jelly/butter/peanut butter lands on the floor? Was the guy who invented nachos the most brilliant guy ever? And, the biggest one: Why is Swiss cheese awful and Gruyere so good? I will never know.

This chicken dish is a mouthful (both the title and the actual chicken) but it’s not difficult to make. You just stuff the chicken with some of the best things ever – prosciutto, arugula, and gruyere – cook it for a few minutes on the stove top and then while it’s finishing up in the oven (just a few minutes longer) you make a quick shallot sauce in the pan. It’s a meal that’s both easy to make for your family on a weeknight and also works for a dinner party. And the best part is that even though you wouldn’t know it, it’s also pretty healthy for you.

I feel like a broken record saying this, but we all liked this dish. Though I didn’t give him much with his piece, this was Ian’s first time eating prosciutto and he was a fan (rule of thumb: second children always get salty cured meats sooner).

Christina @ but i'm hungry April 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm

!!!!! That is all. This looks too good for words.

Ok, except I will add that I agree about the buttered popcorn jellybeans… does anyone actually like those?!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea April 23, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I have never heard of buttered popcorn jelly beans. Since I am not that fond of jelly beans to start with, I am going to forgo and further research. Lol. Now this recipe on the other hand deserves in depth research—-like cooking it and eating it. I am intrigued with the use of arugula as the greens. I think its under used. It has such a wonderful snap to it.

Joanne April 24, 2014 at 6:27 am

So true about swiss and gruyere. Gruyere is just dreamy…swiss – not so much. Lucky second child getting to eat these fancy foods so early!!

Georgann Ganas April 24, 2014 at 7:26 am

I totally agree with your ponderings on popcorn jelly beans (blech!), nachos, and gruyere. I’m amazed that you can shop, prep and cook dinners like this with two small beings to care for! I can handle the basic pantry staples for meals during the week but would never have gruyere when I’d want it without a special trip to the store.

elly April 24, 2014 at 9:08 am

We only had it because I wanted it for a different dish, and there were leftovers. :) It’s not something I buy regularly because it’s SO expensive!

Crystal | Apples & Sparkle April 25, 2014 at 1:49 am

I think it is true about the second child and cured meats, that’s definitely the case in my house too. This looks really delicious, and pretty simple too. I like the addition of arugula in the filling. Yum! : )