Farro with Sausage, Mushrooms, and Goat Cheese

December 2, 2013 · 17 comments

in chicken/poultry,healthy,pork,quick and easy,rice and grains

My neighbor (soon to be former neighbor, *sniff sniff*) and fellow blogger challenged bloggers to do a post today – a different sort of Cyber Monday, if you will. These days, I can use all the push I can get, so here I am! And I come bearing farro.

I love farro. LOVE IT. It’s similar in taste and texture to barley (which I also love), but it takes less than half the time to cook.  Unfortunately, I sort of forgot about it for some time. But, after buying my first bag in a while, we went through it almost immediately. And then I bought another bag. And I’m still on a farro kick.

This is a one-pot dish with some of my very favorite things, like sausage, mushrooms, and goat cheese. There’s just a slight kick from the sausage and crushed red pepper, a little bite from the farro, and plenty of creaminess from the goat cheese. I used it as more of a sauce, stirring the cheese in until it was completely incorporated, but you could also just stud the final dish with crumbles of goat cheese. Or do both. I won’t judge you (in fact, I may just copy you).

By the way, did I mention that I just celebrated 7 years of blogging? Seven! And I’m going to do some giveaways to celebrate both blogging and the holidays. Stay tuned, starting later this week!

Kevin @ Closet Cooking December 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I am always looking for new ways to use farro and this dish sounds really tasty!

Kate December 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Happy Seven Years!
I just made Joanne’s barley and mushroom casserole, so we must be on the same wavelength lately. I know. Big surprise.

Kat December 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm

This sounds real good. When do you add the chard/spinach?

elly December 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm

A little before the goat cheese. Sorry, I just added that instruction!

Amy December 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm

SO good. Just finished my second serving. I didn’t get round to adding the goat cheese, just grated up some Parmesan on top. Just the thing on this raw and nasty day.

elly December 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I’m so glad you liked it, Amy!

Cora December 2, 2013 at 6:02 pm

A-ha! So, THIS is how you always make our hallway smell fantastic every evening. :-) That’s just one of the many things I am going to miss about you guys….

*sniffle*

Scope December 2, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for participating. And you will be missed.

Joanne December 3, 2013 at 5:26 am

I really love farro but I don’t cook with it often enough! Great dish and great reminder!!

Lia December 3, 2013 at 11:12 am

I love farro as well and this recipe looks scrumptious. Just curious, is the farro you buy pearled? I have semi-pearled version and there’s no way it would cook in 15 minutes. Do you think I could adjust the recipe for a longer cook time?

elly December 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Yep, pearled. I’m sure you could adjust it for a longer cooking time since there’s not really anything that would get dried out. You could remove the sausage after it’s browned and re-add it if you think it could be a problem.

ChristinaBakes January 6, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It was so good on this cold winter night in Chiberia! I picked my dish!

elly January 6, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Glad you liked it Christina. It was crazy today!

Robyn January 8, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Hi Elly! I made this last night and LOVED it! Just wanted to chime in, because I did adjust it for a longer cooking time (about 45 minutes until my farro was done…stubborn farro) and nothing got dried out and everything was delicious!

elly January 9, 2014 at 8:53 am

So glad you liked it, Robyn!

Gwen February 1, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Reminiscent of a risotto! The goat cheese adds an awesome creaminess that I wasn’t expecting. Two thumbs up!

Believe it or not, I had to let the farro simmer for almost an hour before the liquid was (mostly) gone. The same thing happened with an otherwise tasty Pink Parsley recipe. I bought pearled farro, but I wonder if the bag is mislabeled…

elly February 1, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Gwen, so funny you mention this because I have been having the same problem with the last 2 bags of farro I’ve purchased! I have added less liquid and simmered longer and it still takes longer than it should to be absorbed. Very strange. At any rate, glad you liked the recipe!