Italian-style Sloppy Joes (“Sloppy Giuseppes”)

January 20, 2013 · 8 comments

in beef,burgers and sandwiches,italian,quick and easy

These popped into my Reader recently, and got made very quickly—quite the feat for most recipes I save (sadly). Whenever a recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make from start to finish, I’m down. Plus, anything with hot peppers or giardiniera catches my attention. I mean, giardiniera is pretty much the only acceptable way to consume cauliflower. Besides, I seem to have atrocious heartburn whether I’m eating hot peppers or the blandest food possible, so I might as well stick with spicy stuff I love so much, right?

At their most basic level, these are sandwiches filled with a thick Italian-style meatsauce. Then,  you top them with provolone and giardiniera to make them a little more special and flavorful. Any sort of roll you want to use will work, really (and I bet these would be really, really awesome with garlic toast). Zachary actually ended up eating his in a pita pocket.

There are no doubt a million variations to suit these to your liking, including different types of cheese or toppings. These were a hit with everyone, particularly me, since they were so quick and easy to prepare.

bellini January 21, 2013 at 12:14 am

I have a jar of giardiniera in the fridge and less than 20 minutes so this is perfect Elly.

Joanne January 21, 2013 at 5:45 am

I can’t believe this wasn’t something my mother ever thought of when we were little because one of the few meals she made that we loved were sloppy joes. Definitely a fun twist on them!

Caitlin January 21, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Mmmm, I’m considering putting sloppy joe week on the menu now- I’ve seen Mexican ones lately to! And I hear you on the heartburn, why bother with bland food if it’s just going to make me just as uncomfortable!

Melissa @ The Kitchen Canister January 22, 2013 at 8:09 am

I’ve never been a fan of sloppy joes, but these sound pretty good. Adding to my “want to make” list.

Kelsey January 23, 2013 at 9:08 am

The will absolutely be a winner with my family. I’m adding them to my recipe list and hope to make them as quickly as you did!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul January 23, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Now these…I could eat plenty of! They look so good Elly…and a bonus that they’re quick to make as well.

Jessica O January 29, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I made these tonight – they were amazing! Came together quickly, with way delicious results. I followed the recipe exactly and used bolillo rolls. My husband and I both really liked this meal, and will for sure make it again soon. Thank you!!

elly January 29, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Happy to hear you liked them, Jessica!