Slowcooker Loaded Potato Soup

October 15, 2012 · 16 comments

in crockpot,potatoes,soups and stews

You need this potato soup in your life. Really.

First of all, potato soup? Delicious in its own right. But when you add bacon, onions that have been cooked in the bacon fat, cheese, and sour cream, it gets elevated to awesomely delicious. Add in the fact that this is a slowcooker recipe, so it’s done by the time you get home from work without much effort on your part, and you have yourself what’s sure to become a family-friendly staple.

I’m always wary of crockpot recipes, even though I’ve found several that work beautifully. One of the things people love to cook in a crockpot is soup, but I’ve found that a lot of soups or chilis I’ve tried in the crockpot have just been flops. I trust Josie, though, so when she posted this I added it to our menu for the very next week. And if you couldn’t already guess, I am so, so glad I did.

The original recipe calls for cooking this for 4-6 hours, because people who create crockpot recipes apparently do not realize that the bulk of people who actually use said recipes are probably gone for a hell of a lot longer than 4-6 hours. I cut the potato pieces slightly larger than the 1/2″ the recipe calls for (probably closer to an inch) so that they wouldn’t be total mush by the time I got home, and they weren’t. The only other changes I made to this recipe were using less cheese, mostly because I realized I only had about 6 oz. of a block left. That said, I think it was totally fine (I added about 4-5 oz. to the soup and used the rest for garnish). I also subbed half and half for the cream, since that’s what I had on hand.

I cut the onions and bacon the night before and contemplated peeling and cutting the potatoes and storing them in water, but decided to just cut them in the morning. It really wasn’t a problem to do that while the bacon and onion were cooking. The prep for this recipe is really not too bad, but the only negative (or positive, depending on how you look at it) is that if you’re wearing work clothes while getting everything ready, you’re likely to smell like bacon and onions for the rest of the day.

This soup has a wonderful texture – nice and creamy without the use of too much cream. It has a slight bacon flavor throughout, and it has just a little tang from the sour cream. This recipe fired on all cylinders, and will definitely be making a reappearance or two or five this fall and winter.

Erin @ EK Can't Cook October 15, 2012 at 9:14 pm

This recipe looks great. And your description of the flavor makes me want to try it even more.

Erin – ekcantcook.blogspot.com

Blog is the New Black October 16, 2012 at 4:56 am

Looks so simple and tasty!

Joanne October 16, 2012 at 5:43 am

Crockpot recipes are so perfect for meals like this! I always tend to use the time amount as a lower limit as long as its on low. Such a hearty soup!

Caroline {TheBarbeeHousewife} October 16, 2012 at 10:34 am

I have been looking for the perfect baked potato soup, I think I have found it. Can’t wait to try it! Looks perfect.

Elizabeth October 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I just have a “thing” for potato soup..actually, I think I have “a thing” for all things potato.

I posted a recipe for baked potato soup and haven’t yet tried the slow cooker method. Seems like such an obvious choice and looks delicious.

I think I’ll make some this weekend.

Cara October 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I believe you about needing this! I do! What’s not to love about this soup?

Mary R October 18, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Yeah, 4-6 hours is a pain when you’ll be gone for 8. My crockpot doesn’t have a fancy timer function, so I got one of those outlet timers at the hardware store. Like what you’d use for Christmas lights. Pile the stuff in the cooker before heading out to work, the timer turns things on 2-5 hours later, and you come back home to awesome.

I read somewhere once that you shouldn’t leave raw meats in the slow cooker for more than 2 hours before the timer goes off…but I blithely ignore it. By the time the food’s ready, things have been simmering away for so long all the bacteria would be ancient history.

Wendy October 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I made this last night. The only thing I did differently was leave out the onions since I have a family member who will not eat them. It was amazing! I served it with assorted toppings and a salad. Everyone loved it and had seconds. Thanks!

elly October 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Glad you liked it, Wendy!

Ellen October 27, 2012 at 1:59 pm

This looks delicious! How many servings would you estimate the recipe makes?

elly October 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I would say 6-8, depending on appetites and what is served alongside it.

Rachel Starr November 12, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I made this over the weekend for company & it was delish! The perfect comfort food for a chilly fall day. I upped the carb intake though & bought bread bowls from Panera & served the soup in them. Out of this world!

elly November 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Glad you liked it, Rachel! Yum to the bread bowls.

Robyn January 1, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I found this recipe and made it this weekend. I upped the amount to 5lbs since we had a lot of company and used heavy cream. So everything pretty much doubled up. This was the best soup ever. Each person had two or three bowls. Glad I made a large amount. I am thinking now of getting bread bowls for the next time I make.

elly January 1, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Happy to hear it was so well-liked, Robyn!

{ 1 trackback }