Strawberry Cream Cheese Crumble Tart (Errr…Pie)

July 18, 2012 · 13 comments

in desserts/sweets

This recipe caught my eye as soon as I saw it. It has so many things I adore in a dessert, namely cream cheese and a crumbly streusel topping. This summer, I think I’ve eaten some of the best strawberries of my life (I don’t know what is happening, but thank you, farmers), so another strawberry dessert seemed appropriate to make.

I didn’t make any changes to the recipe, other than making it in a pie pan instead of a tart pan (okay, and adding a little more vanilla to the crust). This worked perfectly fine even though it wasn’t quite as pretty.

This recipe is great on many levels. First of all, though it does take some time overall because the dough needs to chill for the pie crust, all of the pieces come together quickly. You can also make everything in advance and just assemble it shortly before eating it (which is what I did). The fact that the cream cheese filling and strawberries are uncooked makes this dessert feel summery and light (even if it is kinda sorta loaded with butter). And the crust tastes like a sugar cookie. Win.

And can we talk about  how you just bake a pan full of streusel? I mean, seriously. Why have I never thought to do this? You really don’t even need an actual dessert when you can just eat streusel (and eat it we did, since my pie pan had a smaller area than a tart pan would, which meant extra crumble topping. Score!)

Sarah P July 18, 2012 at 10:42 pm

WOW! This sounds CRAZY YUMMY!!!! I am impressed with the pie crust. I’m all about finding new crusts with great flavor. Did you get much taste from the Almonds in the crust? I guess that might be hard to tell since almonds are also in the crumble.

elly July 19, 2012 at 7:04 am

I did get a little almond flavor from the crust. You can always sub some of the vanilla for almond extract if you want to get more (I do that a lot because I loooove almond extract!)

Jo@jocooks.com July 18, 2012 at 11:41 pm

What a wonderful idea, this is going on my to do list. Love the combination of strawberries, cream cheese and streusel.

Joanne July 19, 2012 at 6:25 am

Between strawberries and cherries I’ve been on a berry kick, that’s for sure! I love the sound of this crumble pie…so refreshing given that you really don’t actually need to cook the filling!

Erin July 19, 2012 at 8:12 am

I’ve been wanting to make this ever since I saw it on Tracey’s blog too. I just haven’t had the time!

Living The Sweet Life July 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

I am SO in love. ohh, man – - I’m pretty much speechless with how delicious this looks, and it sounds so easy. Mmmm… this is why I love summer ;)

Cate July 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

You had me at sugar cookie crust…and strawberries…and cream cheese…and streusel. Oh man, this WILL be the first thing I bake as soon as we’re unpacked!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

So fun! Love this! Anything strawberry and cream cheese sounds awesome!

Ann P. July 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

that pie looks divine!! :D

Katie July 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm

This looks so, so, SO good. (Trust me, I could’ve put 100 more “so”s in there!)

Ivy July 22, 2012 at 2:31 am

Looks really delicious, pity I am on a diet again!

Esi July 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm

This is mind kind of tart/pie. Whatever you call it, it sounds amazing.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul July 25, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Now this looks fantastic Elly! I love pie and I bet the vanilla and strawberry flavours complement each other perfectly. And yes please for extra struesel!