Meatless Monday: Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables

July 9, 2012 · 7 comments

in italian,pasta,vegetables,vegetarian

I really wish I’d had the foresight to organize my saved recipes by season. Now that I have approximately 2 million recipes saved, that’s really never going to happen.  Sadly, it means that it often takes me forever to make a dish because when I come across it, the timing’s not right.

I seriously cannot tell you how long I’ve had this recipe saved. We’re talking at least 2 years. And I always find it randomly in the fall, when zucchini and summer squash are done for. And then I have to wait practically a whole year. Except, then I forget until I find it again the following October. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Now that I’ve finally made this recipe, I know it will be on my radar every summer. (And, at least 1-2 more times *this* summer) Because it’s flat out delicious. A ton of vegetables are roasted with olive oil and Italian seasoning until they are tender and a little sweet. Then they’re tossed together with pasta, sauce, and plenty of cheese. The whole dish then gets baked until the cheese gets melted and gooey. It’s  hard to go wrong, really.

This meal was a winner for all of us, and the leftovers were just as great. I halved the recipe, and that’s what I’m putting below. Below is a picture of that (halved) recipe, so you can imagine that the full recipe makes quite a bit (that’s a 13×9″ pan). I did make some more changes like increasing the amount of summer squash and mushrooms (the latter by a lot) and  using the cheeses I had on hand.

You should definitely try this meal. And, please, don’t wait a couple years before you do. :)

Anna July 9, 2012 at 1:32 am

MMm good stuff! I LOVE these kinds of baked vegetable pastas. I bet the leftovers were even better :P

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 9, 2012 at 5:29 am

I love pasta when it has lots of veggies! This looks awesome!

Joanne July 9, 2012 at 6:03 am

This recipe is my go-to when I have to serve a crowd of pasta lovers. It’s also perfect for carb loading.

I wish I had organized my pinterest boards according to season, but alas…

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up July 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I’m really trying to get better about having a few meatless meals each week! This one looks awesome! I absolutely love roasted vegetables. I will try not to let it sit on my to-try list for 2 years, though. :)

bellini July 10, 2012 at 4:06 am

This does sound like something I would love to try Elly. I have zucchini flowers but no zucchini on my plants as yet.

Hannah July 11, 2012 at 2:13 am

nothing to while away the days like pasta bake… i just started my own food blog and if you’d like to drop by and have a squizz it would be great!

xx Hannah

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul July 13, 2012 at 2:01 am

Finally made it to your blog Elly! Let me say that this looks magnificent…what’s not to love? The vegies, pasta and all that delicious cheese! I’m bookmarking this and will def not wait 2 years to make it!