Bacon Burgers with Bacon-Onion-Balsamic Jam

June 20, 2012 · 13 comments

in beef,burgers and sandwiches

Burgers.
Bacon.
Balsamic.

Those three Bs are far superior to Dwight Schrute’s favorites: bears, beets, and Battlestar Galactica (though my husband may disagree on the last one).

These burgers have been a long time coming. I drooled Homer Simpson style (twice) when Annie and Courtney first posted them, and then again when Josie did. They were just as good as I hoped. I mean, with an ingredient list like that, how could they not be?

These burgers have bacon in the jam, and directly in the burger, too. I made these with grass fed beef, which tends to be much leaner, but the bacon in the burgers provides some added fat, which means they still came out nice and juicy. So, you know, if you want to save a calorie or two. :)

I’ve mentioned before that I’m  not the world’s  biggest fan of onions, especially on a burger, but when they get really sweet from getting cooked down and then are doused with a hefty amount of balsamic, it’s hard to go wrong. I admit I was a bit hesitant about using red onion, since I pretty much never cook those and opt for vidalia instead, but they worked just perfectly.

Since burgers are by nature (almost) always better with cheese, I did add some smoked gouda to these, which was fabulous. It just added to the smoky, earthiness of these burgers.

Ivy June 20, 2012 at 11:38 pm

They look delicious! The bacon must give them a wonderful taste. I love red onions and they are the only ones I use.

Ann P. June 20, 2012 at 11:50 pm

oh my gosh these look divine; you did an awesome job! Perfect for a transition to fall… or immediately! I know it’s almost 10pm, but can we fire up the grill? seriously, I am so craving one of these right now :)

bellini June 21, 2012 at 7:38 am

You can never go wrong with bacon!!!

Kelsey June 21, 2012 at 9:05 am

I’ve been eying these for the longest time, as well. With all these delicious ingredients, I seriously don’t know what is taking me so long!

Elise June 21, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I made this as seen from Annie/ Pinterest and I didn’t even think it needed cheese! The boyfriend had cheese on it and liked it but I did mine without and it was still great. What a winner of a burger recipe :)

Shawnda June 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

There is definitely no way to go wrong with those ingredients!

Joanne June 22, 2012 at 5:38 am

Given that these burgers have made the foodie rounds, they must be crazy delicious. And I agree with you…those three B’s are way better than Dwight’s. I think he most likely has MANY of his priorities messed up.

Laura June 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

These have been on my mind since all the other ladies posted them. Love the addition of the gouda. Must try soon!

Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors June 22, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Bacon Onion Balsamic Jam – three of my favorite ingredients. I feel like this would go great on top of many things!! I can only imagine how delicious these burgers are with the jam and gouda cheese – I can see this on my grill in the veryy near future.

Annie June 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Glad you finally got around to making these! (And of course, LOVE the Office reference.)

Suzanne @Kokocooks July 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm

That jam looks awesome! I would love to have some to go with tonight’s burger.

Leslie September 22, 2012 at 3:18 pm

These were AMAZING! The house smells incredible too. So glad you posted this recipe. So glad I tried it.

{ 1 trackback }