Honey-Yogurt Waffles

May 16, 2012 · 12 comments

in breakfast/brunch

I mentioned briefly in the menu planning post that breakfast for dinner is a good option for nights where you’re short on time. Breakfast for dinner used to be a rarity, but now it happens more like once every two weeks. In addition to being on the table quickly, most breakfast options are also very budget-friendly. Win-win.

Now, normally, I’m a savory breakfast kinda girl. I prefer things like omelets, chilaquiles, hash, and the like. I do like pancakes and waffles, though (who doesn’t?). Truth be told, if I could have it my way, every breakfast you eat at a restaurant would come with 1 pancake instead of toast. That way, you get to have something sweet at the end, but you still get your savory breakfast. Are you listening to me, diners across America?

But, I digress. We have occasionally been having sweeter options for dinners. They’re just quicker, and I always have the ingredients on hand.  Plus, I feel a little better about the homemade version to their restaurant counterparts, since they tend to be a little healthier and we balance them with some turkey sausage for protein. (OK, or bacon.) And Zachary? Well, he’s certainly never going to complain about pancakes or waffles any time of day, especially when they are served with fruit (his second favorite food group, after peanut butter, which is definitely a food group to him).

These waffles use honey for sweetener and a fair amount of whole wheat flour. I actually switched the ratio so the whole wheat proportion was higher than the enriched, and it worked beautifully. In fact, I’ll probably increase it even more the next time around. These waffles are a bit softer than most (due to the yogurt, I’m guessing) but we didn’t mind. I threw a leftover one in the toaster the following morning, and it crisped up just like any other waffle would.

Ben May 16, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Hmm breakfast for dinner is just an amazing idea. Delicious looking waffles.

katie May 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Love that there are oats in there, looks delicious.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar May 17, 2012 at 5:43 am

These waffles sound fabulous! Yum!

Melanie May 17, 2012 at 7:20 am

Looks and sounds delicious!! Definitely got me thinkin’ about waffles for dinner one night this weekend and those blueberries on sale at whole foods would make a splendid sauce for the top of the waffles. Thank you!!!

Joanne May 17, 2012 at 7:45 am

I always prefer savory breakfasts in the morning but when it comes to breakfast for dinner, I’m all about the sweeter stuff! These honey yogurt waffles sound delicious! And would give me an excuse to use my waffle iron…

Zachary and I definitely have similar food groups…

Ann P. May 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Exactly what I need for Friday breakfast tomorrow! ooooh yum.

Anna May 18, 2012 at 2:09 am

Mmmm I totally agree with you about pancakes instead of toast. Love waffles all day… can’t wait till I get a maker… waffles, cheese and wine for dinner anyone?

Ivy May 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I love waffles any time of the day and that is why I’ve put away the waffle maker. I love sweet breakfasts which I also eat for dinner as well:)

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul May 21, 2012 at 1:09 am

Breakfast for dinner sounds like a great option Elly! I like Zachary’s favourite food groups too! The waffles look delish!

Erin June 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Just made these tonight – LOVED them! One note – you forgot to list milk in the ingredient list. It is mentioned in the directions so I went to Annie’s post and found it :)

elly June 5, 2012 at 8:52 pm

So glad you liked them, and thanks for telling me about the milk. I swear, I have been SO awful lately about noticing errors in the recipe part of my posts.

{ 1 trackback }