Skillet Ground Beef Stroganoff

May 2, 2012 · 21 comments

in beef,pasta,quick and easy

Whenever I meal plan, I make sure to include meals that use the same ingredient, so I don’t have food waste. You’ve probably figured out by now that we have at least one Mexican-inspired dish per week, but what you may or may not know is that I am incapable of enjoying Mexican food without a dollop of sour cream. Since I had to buy sour cream for the 2 Tbsp. I was going to use, I knew I needed to use the rest for something, and I decided on stroganoff. (Sidebar: I have a post all about meal planning coming soon.)

Like many people who grew up in the 80s, I’ve had Hamburger Helper. Like, a lot of times. Although it was pretty much “forbidden” when I was young, when I got to the age where I could stay home alone and make myself dinner, it went (heavy) into the rotation. And when I was in college and moved into my first apartment, it probably made an appearance more often than I cared to admit. My favorite flavor was the stroganoff. Dude, I freaking loved that stuff. Of course, as soon as I had “real” stroganoff, I realized what I was missing.

I’ve made a few versions of stroganoff, including one with a fancy cut of beef, and one without. This time, though, I was yearning for the nostalgia of one-skillet-ground-beef-stuff-you-eat-in-college. For whatever reason, it sounded more comforting than the others (not to mention cheaper and quicker). This version most certainly did not disappoint. I increased pretty much everything but decreased the beef so this isn’t as meaty as the original recipe, but it was perfect for us. Creamy, comforting, delicious, awesome for leftovers, and flavored without the use of an envelope. :) Also, why are egg noodles so much more awesome than regular noodles? I may never know.

When Tom’s brother asked what we had for dinner later that night, he said “Hamburger Helper.” And, though that may not sound like a compliment to you, I’m going to take it as one. :)

Meg May 2, 2012 at 9:26 pm

As a kid, I used to walk to my friend’s house for dinner with his parents and Stroganoff was always my favorite. I like to add a little bit of Dijon. It adds a nice little kick to it!

Amy's Cooking Adventures May 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm

This looks amazing! I’ve been looking for the “right” stroganoff recipe that doesn’t use soup mix! Thank you!

Joanne May 3, 2012 at 5:30 am

I’ve actually never had Hamburger Helper…ever. Somehow my mom never got into THOSE packages. But she was all over the rice-a-roni.

There really is something about egg noodles that is fabulous. I haven’t had them in YEARS. And now I’m craving them. Intensely. Thanks. :P

bellini May 3, 2012 at 6:31 am

My mom never made Hamburger Helper since dad was vegetarian but I did love it at friends.

Sara May 3, 2012 at 8:08 am

Stroganoff Hamburger Helper was my favorite too!! I can’t wait to try this version of it!! Thanks!

The Home Cook May 3, 2012 at 8:20 am

You made a recipe from my blog! I’m so honored. :) I love this dish.

Emily @ She Makes and Bakes May 3, 2012 at 9:47 am

I lived on hamburger helper when I was a kid, although I think it was the cheeseburger one. And I still eat tuna helper sometimes… This stroganoff looks good. I’ve never made it with ground beef before, but it sounds like a great option!

Ondrea aka DefinitelyO May 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm

love this! I’m going to try with turkey (I’m sure it won’t be exactly the same). My go to was boxed Pasta-roni with a can of chicken. gross now – but oh so cheap and yummy in those poor college years.

raquel@eRecipe.com May 3, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I remembered copying a beef stroganoff recipe from my sister’s collection. It used strips of beefs. I might try this one cause it looks more delicious than the recipe my sister had. =)

Juliana May 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Oh! I haven’t had strogganof for so long…and I love this version using ground beef. Thanks for this recipe and I sure will try this out :)
Hope you are having a great week Elly!

Nicole, RD May 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I want to make & eat everything you post! I love Beef Stroganoff :)

Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake May 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Beef stroganoff has been one of my favorite meals since I was a kid. Yours looks delicious and super comforting! Takes me right back to my childhood!

Ann P. May 4, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I never had a lot of Hamburger Helper in my childhood, but this looks like the ultimate comfort food to me anyway! Quick and easy, too :)

Munni May 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm

if I didn’t want to use any alcohol what could I substitute for the brandy? thank you!

elly May 6, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I would probably add a couple tbsp. red wine vinegar to the beef broth mixture. You could also omit it – it gives the dish great flavor, but it doesn’t need to be there in terms of the amount of liquid necessary.

Ondrea May 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm

stupid question – but when do you add the beef back in? with the noodles? or after the noodles are cooked???

elly May 16, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Not stupid, I forgot to put it in. :) Yes, you add it at the same time as the noodles.

Erin May 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

Ha, I’m clearly way backed up on my food blogs, but just got to this post – hilarious about the Hamburger Helper. We ate it a ton growing up, and I also made it when I lived on my own. The cheesy taco mac one was my fave :) I also loved tuna helper. The thought now makes me kind of want to barf, but I thought I was SUCH an ambitious cook when I made that instead of just having cereal or toast for dinner!!! My, how far we’ve come :)

Jen May 31, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Great recipe! I am thinking you made this on an electric stove, right? After adding 1/2 cup of Brandy to my hot skillet (on high to nicely brown the mushrooms and drive off the moisture) with the mushrooms, the whole lot promptly flambeed itself rather spectacularly on my gas range. Flames between 18 inches and two feet leaping from the pan, lasting a good 30 seconds, and setting off the smoke alarm spectacular. I love a good flambeed mushroom as well as the next person, but a warning should probably be included in the recipe. My pregnant baby brain hadn’t fully thought through the ramifications of this much hot alcohol on the fire. I will know better next time I make this tasty tasty dish :)

elly May 31, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Yikes, Jen, sorry! I do actually have a gas stove, but didn’t have that problem!

Meaghan January 1, 2013 at 8:52 am

Found this via your 2012 recap- looks delicious! I’m pinning it so I remember to make it this winter.

-m