Baked Burritos with Sour Cream-Poblano Sauce

April 11, 2012 · 25 comments

in beans and legumes,beef,mexican/tex-mex

There’s a long, involved story about how these came to be on our menu, but the (not particularly) short version is my remembering a time we were at Chi-Chi’s (yep, Mexican chain extraordinaire) about 20 years ago. There was a big scoop of sour cream on my then 5-year-old-stepsister’s plate. She asked what it was and my dad, ever the jokester, told her it was ice cream. She ate a HUGE spoonful and I’ll never forget the look on her face. She hasn’t had sour cream since.

Anyway, at Chi-Chi’s, I’d order something called a chicken burrito suprema (at least, I think that’s what it was called). It was basically a burrito that had this really creamy, totally unhealthy mushroom and sour cream sauce on the top. I’m sure if I had it today, I wouldn’t think it nearly as awesome, but at the time, I loved it.

Obviously, this dish is a departure from that one, since it’s made with beef and there are no mushrooms in the sauce. I make so many chicken tacos, enchiladas, and everything else, that every once in a while I just really crave beef, so I went with it (and couldn’t have been happier with my choice).

I wanted to make burrito-sized versions of these but of course they only had white flour tortillas at the store so we got smaller whole wheat tortillas (I know, I really need to start making my own tortillas). One probably would have been enough, anyway, but I still gorged  and had two. Oops.

Anna April 12, 2012 at 12:49 am

These look SO good. You rolled them perfectly. I would like to make my own tortillas too, nothing like homemade. That is funny about the sour cream “ice cream.” Bad (good) joke by your pops!

Miss Migas April 12, 2012 at 4:01 am

These burritos look really yummy, what a great idea baking them!!

Caitlin April 12, 2012 at 6:52 am

The sauce sounds so good! And I would guess that any leftover burritos would be great wrapped up and popped into the freezer for a quick lunch later on.

Josie April 12, 2012 at 9:24 am

These are so up my alley. Love your photos, too!!

Tara April 12, 2012 at 9:39 am

Elly, these look absolutely awesome! And I agree with Josie- great photos!

ATasteOfMadness April 12, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Oh man oh man, you don’t even know how much I want one of these! These look soo delicious!

Joanne April 13, 2012 at 5:41 am

That creamy poblano sauce sounds majorly delicious! A flavor explosion.

I’ll be making these…totally veg-ed up. It’s been way too long since I had some tex-mex love in my life!

Joan Nova April 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm

You do love Mexican food! This looks delicious.

Hezzi-D April 14, 2012 at 5:51 am

These look delicious. I love creamy sauces on my enchiladas and burritos. I enjoy reading your blog as well and have given you The Versatile Blogger Award! You can see it and the badge here: http://www.hezzi-dsbooksandcooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

Sara {Home is Where the Cookies Are} April 16, 2012 at 6:03 am

Yum! Again – I have my entire week of dinners planned out and I want to abandon at least one night for these!!

Courtney June 10, 2012 at 7:47 am

Made these last week. Loved them and even ate them as leftovers. Coming from someone who is very picky about leftovers, that’s a pretty big deal. I’m so glad you’re around to help me in my quest to make Tex-Mex food at home.

elly June 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Yay, glad you enjoyed them!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm

um, yeah, these look soooooo good. I would make these but I totally don’t have the wheat tortillas. I might just make them with corn tortillas. :-)

RecipeNewZ June 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I found this post though Pinterest. The photo was so beautiful that I just had to come here to read the recipe! Love it! And love your site :-).

I would like to invite you to share this post (and your other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched in May. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site.

It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com

I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

Kathleen October 18, 2012 at 9:42 am

We made this for dinner last night – AMAZING! The filling was so good and that sauce….yum! Thanks for a great recipe that is sure to make many more appearances on our dinner table :-)

elly October 18, 2012 at 10:13 am

Awesome, so happy to hear that, Kathleen!

{ 9 trackbacks }