Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

March 28, 2012 · 10 comments

in breakfast/brunch,healthy

I’ve been making this pancake recipe for years, so I’m not sure how it’s never made it to the blog (but my guess would be it’s because I’m typically a pretty atrocious pancake flipper and my pancakes are never photogenic). I switch the recipe up pretty much every time I make it, but three changes I make fairly consistently are adding some sort of extract, reducing the sugar, and using mostly whole wheat flour. From there, the variations are pretty endless. I’ve added fruit, chocolate chips, citrus zest, cinnamon, nuts, and any number of other things.

I love that this recipe is healthy and uses whole wheat flour, but still turns out light and fluffy. With a drizzle of real maple syrup and some turkey breakfast sausage on the side (something I thought I’d never in a million years like but found I recently I do!), this is a simple and nutritious breakfast—or, in our case this week—dinner.

MgMama March 28, 2012 at 8:13 pm

About how many pancakes does this recipe make? I’d love to try them, but I like to make a large batch & freeze for super-fast weekday breakfasts. Thanks!

elly March 28, 2012 at 8:31 pm

MgMama, if you use a 1/4 cup scoop, it will make about 8. I’d increase the recipe for freezing.

Blog is the New Black March 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Are you available to come cook me breakfast on Sunday? ;)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Mmm my boy’s favorite! Love this myself as well :)

Peter March 28, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Looking good despite the wholeheat flour in there. Will give it a go…to our health!

Joanne March 29, 2012 at 5:30 am

Everyone always assumes that since I cook so much I’m a good pancake maker…but I am the WORST. I can’t flip to save my life. True statement. Thankfully, I’m usually just making them for myself so as long as I get enough photogenic ones….it doesn’t really matter. :P I love the simplicity of these and that they’re so amenable to variation!

Emily @ She Makes and Bakes March 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’ve been looking for a good whole wheat pancake recipe. There’s a breakfast restaurant in Colorado that makes the best whole wheat pancakes, and I’ve been dying to make them at home. I’ll have to give your recipe a try. Thanks!

Ben March 29, 2012 at 9:30 am

This just screams summer! I need breakfast now :)

Ivy March 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm

The look delicious. I was thinking of yoghurt when I saw your note at the end. I think they would be great with some honey.

Banana Wonder March 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm

The first thing I am going to do as soon as my fiance and I get our own place, is make pancakes and read the NYT! Thanks for the recipe. Love the berries and additions.