Super-Crisp Oven Baked Fish

March 25, 2012 · 21 comments

in healthy,seafood

Considering this is, oh, the 4th fish recipe on this blog in 5+ years, it’s pretty obvious I’m not the world’s biggest fish fan. However, I am a big fan of all things that are breaded, which is why this recipe appealed to me. :-D Also, I’d been wanting to participating in Jessica, from The Jey of Cooking‘s, round-up of heart-healthy recipes. Jessica is doing this for her mom, who received a life-saving heart transplant last year. The bonus is for every entry she receives, Jessica is donating $1 to the American Heart Association.

This recipe is definitely heart smart. The crispy breading is made from whole grains and the fish used here is cod, which promotes cardiovascular health since it’s a good source of blood thinning omega 3 fatty acids (not to mention full of B12 and B6). Like the title indicates, this fish comes out super-crisp and there is no frying involved, and a very minimal amount of fat. Cod and haddock in particular stand up well to this method because they’re not too thin, like tilapia may be, which allows the breading to get nice and golden without overcooking the fish.

The best news, of course, is that I ended up really, really enjoying this recipe. With a crunchy crust and copious amounts of lemon, there’s nothing to not love. This would also be great with some homemade tartar sauce (which by the way I’ve made with Greek yogurt in place of mayo before). As you may have guessed, I used plain yogurt in place of mayo in this recipe because, you know, mayo sucks.  The bonus is that it’s better for you.

Also, can I just say that I don’t know what in the world I’m doing buying breadcrumbs? I mean, yes, I’ve made my own before but usually just because I have a little extra bread from a fresh loaf. I’ve never just made them with sandwich bread before, but it’s so easy. Plus, you can actually have whole wheat breadcrumbs this way – which allegedly exist but I believe to be an urban legend since I’ve never actually seen them.

Sara {Home is Where the Cookies Are} March 25, 2012 at 8:44 pm

We’re not huge fish eaters either, but mostly because I just don’t like preparing it. If we DO eat it however, this would be the kind we’d all like – or something fried in oil :), so obviously this is the better option!

Ranjani March 25, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Wow this looks so incredibly crispy! I’m totally trying this next time I cook fish

Ranjani March 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I made this tonight – it was amazing!! I used haddock fillets that were maybe 3/4″ thick, and they weren’t overcooked at all. This recipe is definitely a keeper

elly March 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Glad you liked it, Ranjani!

bellini March 26, 2012 at 2:03 am

I am a huge fan of breaded fish as well Elly.

Jessy March 26, 2012 at 4:41 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it too. I was surprised at how crispy it got! As usual, I love your photo. :)

Joanne March 26, 2012 at 5:38 am

I’ve always kind of felt that white fish is so plain that it absolutely needs a tasty breading like this! I love that its baked and yet still looks so crispy!

Ben March 26, 2012 at 8:16 am

In my case, I like fish a lot, but I don’t cook/eat it very often. I guess I just need to bread fish more :)

Lia March 26, 2012 at 11:31 am

This fish looks delicious! I’ll have to scope out the cod options at my local TJs…

You should definitely try some more fish recipes. I can send you some suggestions, but the blackened tilapia from gimmesomeoven is one of my faves.

Oh and my mom found whole wheat panko breadcrumbs at whole foods. They are a little pricey, but so so good. I can’t remember the brand, but the package is tall and pale yellow. I’m almost out so I’ll try making some next.

elly March 26, 2012 at 11:45 am

Thanks for the rec – I do love blackening seasoning, so it sounds like a possibility. :) I found whole wheat panko at my local Asian store of all places, but still haven’t seen ww breadcrumbs anywhere (I generally prefer panko but breadcrumbs have their place too!)

Platanos, Mangoes and Me! March 26, 2012 at 5:23 pm

This is exactly what I would want for dinner right now. Looks delicious.

Banana Wonder March 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Mmm I have never made crusted fish like this, but the recipe looks too legit to quit. I think this is the first fish recipe I’ve seen on your blog since I started following you! Nice work!

elly March 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm

And nice work to you for the MC Hammer mention. ;)

Elizabeth March 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I love making fish so much!

savannah s March 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm

hey elly! i really thought that whole wheat breadcrumbs were an urban legend too, until they finally started carrying them at my local grocery (harris teeter). i love them, but they’re still 5 bucks for a small bag! this blog post helped me realize that it’s not so bad to make your own
regardless, i hope they start carrying them near you!

Anne April 2, 2012 at 10:40 am

I made this last night and it was delicious! Definitely some of the most flavorful oven baked fish that I’ve had. I completely forgot to serve it with a tartar sauce but we didn’t miss it. Thanks for a great recipe!

elly April 2, 2012 at 10:48 am

Happy to hear you liked it, Anne!

{ 4 trackbacks }