Key Lime Yogurt Cake with Coconut

February 5, 2012 · 26 comments

in breads and muffins,breakfast/brunch,desserts/sweets

I’ve mentioned many times my adoration for anything lime-flavored. Whether it’s a pie, curd, cheesecake, beverage, or Sour Patch Kid, I’m going to love it. That’s all there is to it.

A friend of mine recently picked up an extra bag of key limes, and I definitely didn’t have a problem taking them off her hands (especially when the exchange happened during a brunch meeting that involved chorizo/jalapeno/egg/potato hash, thankyouverymuch).

This cake (or bread, if  you want to make it sound a little healthier) is inspired by Ina Garten’s lemon yogurt cake, which I’ve made a few times in various forms. While the cake is not exactly going to be featured in any healthy eating magazines any time soon, it is a less horrible for you than other things I could have made with the key limes. Plus, I adapted the recipe to make it a little lighter by using nonfat Greek yogurt, canola oil, reducing the sugar by a smidge, and eliminating the glaze altogether (personally I think it’s sweet enough with the citrus-sugar mixture that gets poured over the top).

I had some shredded coconut in my freezer, which was a welcome addition to this cake…a cake I freaking loved, by the way. The yogurt and lime syrup make this extremely moist, and the key limes have a tangy, robust flavor. Plus, toasted coconut is awesome. Always.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar February 5, 2012 at 9:18 pm

This sounds lovely! Great, yummy looking recipe :)

Joanne February 6, 2012 at 4:42 am

“Less horrible for you” that’s usually what I end up going for. Because really…sometimes that cakes that ARE less horrible for you, just aren’t worth it. I’m a huge fan of all things lime AND all things coconut AND ESPECIALLY all things coconut/lime. This is pinned and bookmarked!

Elpiniki February 6, 2012 at 5:27 am

This cake looks amazing! I love the taste of coconut!

Ammie February 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

Looks delicious! This is going on the top of my to-make list, as soon as I find key limes…

Erin February 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

Oh this just sounds too good.

Nicole, RD February 6, 2012 at 9:51 am

I love all things lime…and coconut! Will definitely be making this!

Jessy February 6, 2012 at 10:18 am

This looks incredible. I love the combination of lime and coconut!

Melissa February 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

Looks fantastic! I am not normally a big fan of lime, but would love to try this with the toasted coconut. And I agree, you can definitely pass this as bread (bread = healthier). Afterall, it is in the shape of a loaf, right? :) I work the opposite way with my daughter – I tell her the healthier breads are cake! :)

Urban Wife February 6, 2012 at 11:28 am

You had me at yogurt cake.

Ann P. February 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

YEAHHH! Elly you have perfect timing, b/c I was just gifted a bag of key limes from my family friend! It’s like this scrumptious looking recipe was made for me. :)

Melissa @ Kids in the Sink February 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I bought some key limes on a quick sale rack a while ago and juiced them and froze the juice in ice cube trays and I’ve been trying to find things that aren’t key lime pie to make with it ever since then! So excited to try this because I, too, love lime flavored things. Yum!

Peter February 6, 2012 at 4:32 pm

That’s one wonderful looking loaf….lime and yogurt – I’m sold.

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) February 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Wow, what great flavors!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul February 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I adore citrus cakes Elly….mmmm, the coconut and yoghurt all sound magical together.

Elise February 15, 2012 at 12:56 am

Thinking of making this is a birthday treat for my roommate- is it really more like a dessert or a bread? Any tips on making it more bread (breakfast)-like?

elly February 15, 2012 at 7:26 am

Hi Elise. It could really go for either, though we mainly ate it as dessert. It’s sweeter than breakfast breads I’m used to (but, my breakfast breads usually are made with whole wheat and very little sugar). I think you’d be fine making it as is for a breakfast treat. If you wanted, you could substitute the coconut for something like raspberries (I love raspberries and lime together) or even make a streusel topping using some flour/butter/sugar/coconut.

Kristin March 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Wow…this sounds delicious!

Carrie April 11, 2012 at 8:35 pm

This bread is AWESOME! Thank you SOOOO much for sharing.

Gina February 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm

this looks delicious! did you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut?

elly February 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I used sweetened because that’s what I had on hand. The cake is pretty sweet, though, so I’m sure you’d be fine using unsweetened, too.

Janet May 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Would it work if you switched unsweetened applesauce for the oil?

elly May 21, 2013 at 7:45 am

Janet, I’ve done that in the original version before and it’s fine. I always prefer to use a little oil, though, to improve the texture, so I would do something like 1/4 cup oil and 1/3 cup applesauce (I tend to add a little more applesauce than a 1:1 switch).

{ 4 trackbacks }