Meatless Monday: Pasta with Portobello Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions, and Goat Cheese

November 27, 2011 · 12 comments

in goat cheese,pasta,vegetarian

With a title like that, how could I not want to make this recipe when I first encountered it? Those ingredients pretty much scream “Elly!” Not to mention, they also tend to be in my kitchen at all times.

This is a perfect year-round vegetarian pasta dish that’s easy to make, hearty, and flavorful. This is definitely one of those dishes where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Just a few simple ingredients provide great earthiness and depth of flavor.

I altered the ingredient amounts a bit in this recipe, mainly to make it healthier (a  bit less fat, less pasta for the same amount of servings, etc.).  But I also added a little booze. :-D I didn’t add peas to this when we had it for dinner, since we ate it with a salad, but I did add a small handful to my lunch leftovers.

Joanne November 28, 2011 at 5:54 am

I love it when a seemingly simple ingredient list leads to something wonderful. Which definitely happened here!

bellini November 28, 2011 at 6:23 am

It does sound amazing Elly. I don’t believe I could ever tire of pasta.

Natalie November 28, 2011 at 9:08 am

Yum .. this is right up my alley! It looks so comforting yet elegant, and I love that you made it a bit healthier. Can’t wait to try it!

Sara November 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

This looks great! I bought quite a load of goat cheese a little while ago, and was just pondering what I should do with it next. . . . This could be perfect. Love the carameilized onions too. I may have to commit a meatless blunder though, and go with chicken instead of mushrooms, just so the kids will eat it!

Cate November 28, 2011 at 11:40 am

That combo would be really good on pizza, too! Definitely looks like a great recipe!

Ann P. November 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

MM, this is my kind of dinner! I love mushrooms almost as much as I love pasta :)

ErinsFoodFiles November 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love the pop of color the peas add!

Josie November 29, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Not surprisingly, I also have this recipe saved. Glad to hear that it was a winner, and now I really need to make it. Great pictures, too :-)

nicole December 1, 2011 at 8:40 am

this looks really good. After thanksgiving, I’m looking for some great meatless mains

Sara December 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

I made this last night and it was delightful. We are trying to become a meat-free household and this was a great dish to add to our budding repertoire. I did the full pound of pasta and I wilted a bag of spinach into the mix as I am not a huge fan of green peas. I also used more goat cheese since I upped the amount of pasta; I probably used about 4-5 ounces. Thanks for the recipe, Elly!

elly December 2, 2011 at 9:46 am

Glad you enjoyed it! I was also thinking a wilted green would be a great addition – I love spinach, chard, etc. with caramelized onions.

Sonja December 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm

This looks delicious! We’re able to get some awesome local mushrooms and now you have my mind turning on our next use for them. Thanks for the idea! :)