Grilled Piquillo and Manchego Cornbread Sandwiches for Josie’s Virtual Shower

August 18, 2011 · 18 comments

in appetizers,burgers and sandwiches

Josie at Pink Parsley is not only one of my favorite bloggers, but she has become a friend of mine, too. When I was asked by Annie to be a part of her virtual baby shower, of course I said yes! Josie is expecting a baby boy in about 5 weeks, and I could not be happier for her!

Josie and I share a love of Mexican food (and chipotles) and originally I wanted to do some sort of appetizer with chipotle in it. I couldn’t really nail down my idea, though, and after other contributors started identifying what they were bringing, I felt like finger sandwiches would be a welcome addition.

Peppers and manchego are a a delicious and classic combination in my mind, but I wanted to do something a little different for the bread, so the sandwiches wouldn’t be too boring. I really love corn and manchego together (big time), which is why I decided to do a yeasted cornbread. Plus, I know Josie is a corn and cornbread fan (despite calling me a Yankee for making a yeasted loaf ;))

These are incredibly easy to make and taste great. I decided to cut the sandwiches diagonally once, but if your bread is bigger, you will probably want to quarter them for something like a shower. These would also be great with a little green in them, perhaps some spinach or even a cilantro pesto. (I’m not a cilantro fan, but I do think it would complement the rest of the flavors well).

Be sure to check out Annie’s and Josie’s blog for the full roundup of dishes at Josie’s virtual shower!

Grilled Piquillo and Manchego Cornbread Sandwiches

8 slices yeasted cornbread
softened or melted butter
4 oz. thinly sliced manchego cheese
2 roasted piquillo peppers, thinly sliced

Spread softened butter or brush melted butter on one side of each of the pieces of bread.  Build sandwiches by layering the cheese and peppers on top of a piece of bread, butter side down. Top with a piece of bread that is butter side up.

Preheat a nonstick skillet, cast iron pan, griddler, etc.  Add the sandwiches and cook, flipping once midway when the bottom is golden brown.

Slice diagonally in 2-4 pieces and serve.

Joanne August 18, 2011 at 5:31 am

I can’t believe Josie’s due date is so soon! It seems like just yesterday she announced that she was pregnant!

These little sandwiches are super cute. Definitely a great use of the cornbread!

Nikki August 18, 2011 at 6:28 am

Cornbread sandwiches? Brilliant! Seriously love this idea, Elly!

Michelle August 18, 2011 at 6:38 am

This looks so good. And I loooove cornbread, so I can’t wait to make your yeasted version. I can think of a hundred sandwiches that would be great on that.

Shawnda August 18, 2011 at 7:27 am

Awesome flavor combination! I love that you used cornbread for the bread. And I agree, cilantro pesto would be a great addition!

sherri lynn @ life of a wife August 18, 2011 at 7:29 am

I saw on this on Annie’s Eats today and it looks amazing! Definitely one of my favorites from the “shower”

Annie August 18, 2011 at 8:15 am

Elly, I love this idea so much. Finger sandwiches are sometimes an overdone shower food, but you totally brought new life to them (and also made me drool). Thanks for being part of Josie’s shower. I love it!

Josie August 18, 2011 at 8:27 am

I love fun variations on grilled cheese, and this one looks especially awesome. I definitely don’t cook with manchego enough, but I think I’ll change that and try these sandwiches (with your Yankee cornbread and all) ;-) Thanks for participating in my shower!

Karin @ this wife bakes August 18, 2011 at 10:06 am

Cornbread as a sandwich! LOVE IT! Topped off with the addition of cheese. The ultimate finger food!! Looks great!

Cate August 18, 2011 at 10:47 am

I am going to make these ASAP! My husband is a total sandwich fanatic, and we both adore manchego cheese.

Banana Wonder August 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

Nice! This kind of reminds me of my Greek grilled cheese except yours is spicy! One day when I get knocked up I will be expecting these same sammies!

Kelsey August 18, 2011 at 11:46 am

These look delicious, Elly. I would definitely make them with a cilantro sauce or salsa verde. YUM!

p.s. Josie’s right–although it sounds amazing (and I’ll probably make it), yeasted cornbread makes you a Yankee :-)

Tara @ Smells Like Home August 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Dude, I had no idea you were using the yeasted cornbread for these sandwiches – what a brilliant idea! They look amazing and so flavorful ;). Everything about these sandwiches is right up my alley.

Courtney August 18, 2011 at 5:47 pm

These looks so delicious! I love that you put a fun spin on finger sandwiches, and the fact that you used cornbread just makes me want one even more!

Shanon August 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Yay! I am so excited for another vegetarian sandwich to try. I just had manchego cheese for the first time about two months ago….loved it! These look incredible!

Pam August 18, 2011 at 9:48 pm

These are not only good looking but sound like they would be absolutely delicious for any occasion. Thanks.

Noelle August 22, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Sounds really delicious!

Renae King September 8, 2011 at 8:23 am

I made these for the fam last week and they were a hit! I absolutely adored the yeasted cornbread. I will be making this again…..and again……!!

elly September 8, 2011 at 8:58 am

Glad you enjoyed them, Renae!