Spinach with Pan-Roasted Red Peppers and Feta

January 4, 2011 · 16 comments

in healthy,vegetables,vegetarian

I’m sure that, like 90% of the population, you’re one of those people who is on a healthy food kick right now.  I admit that I’m not usually one of those people.  Because usually I don’t need to be, since I’m a healthy eater a majority of the time.  Lately, however, I’ve been just terrible.  I came to the sad realization the other day that I’m about the same weight I was a year ago…which wouldn’t be so bad if I weren’t also 20-some weeks pregnant this time last year.

If you’re looking for some healthy but still tasty food ideas, look no further than my healthy category or check out the posts on my recipe index that have a heart next to them.

I thought we’d start the new year off light with this spinach recipe.  I really love spinach, but I tend to use it the same ways.  I either throw it in something (be it spanakopita, pasta, or rice) or I sauté it with some garlic and squeeze some lemon juice over the top.  This application is not too far from the latter, but it’s made a bit tastier (and prettier) with the addition of sweet pan-roasted red peppers and salty feta.  This is a great way to switch up your boring old veggie side while still keeping it easy and healthy.

We had this as a side to the (now famous) chicken gyros and it was a delicious and healthy meal.

Spinach with Pan-Roasted Red Peppers and Feta

Serves 4
print Printer Friendly Recipe

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunches of spinach
2 tsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper
2 oz. feta, crumbled

Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add the peppers.  Cook a couple minutes, until the skins are slightly darkened, and then turn down the heat to medium, continuing to cook for an additional 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the garlic and sauté until fragrant.  Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted.  Stir in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.  Off the heat, add the feta cheese.

Joanne January 5, 2011 at 5:28 am

Yeah there’s something about this past year that absolutely did me in weight wise as well and I can’t figure out what it was. But it is a new year and we shall not worry about the past! Instead we shall eat mass amounts of spinach, and with preparations like this…it shouldn’t be too hard. Delicious!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com January 5, 2011 at 6:05 am

What a colorful and healthy side dish. Looks great!

travelingsisterhood January 5, 2011 at 8:13 am

Love it! Spinach and feta just seem to go together and the addition of roasted peppers is a great idea.

Niki January 5, 2011 at 8:30 am

Haha, you are right about the whole world dieting right now! It really stinks for those of us who have been dieting and exercising and have been going to the gym, but now can’t get a treadmill… Hopefully that will die out soon!
But at least I can add some yummy new recipes to me diet! Thanks for this one and good luck with the baby weight! It’ll come off! I say enjoy the little one more than focusing on the weight!
Xronia Polla!

Kelsey January 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

I’m definitely doing the healthy thing and this fits right in. Thanks, Elly!

Peter January 5, 2011 at 10:17 am

Elly, a fine side dish…I’d love this with Vlita too!

Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul January 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Happy new year! I love what you’ve done here Elly…”diet” is a bad word!

Ben January 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Fortunately for me, this year I didn’t eat as many cookies as last one. But I still love the idea of eating healthier. This salad looks so good!

innasinventions January 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm

This looks beautiful and so yummy! Definitely going to try this out soon!

Banana Wonder January 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I love spinach and feta… especially sauteed like this.

Ivy January 9, 2011 at 1:48 am

Love this combination.

Rosemary@Sprigs of Rosemary January 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Maybe it’s the holidays, maybe it’s just blogging (and eating what I blog about!) that does it, but I know that I’m feeling heftier and my clothes are a little tighter at the waist. So, like it or not, Im kicking my “healthy eatin” pledge up a notch, too. And this colorful spinach dish looks like one great way to do it. Thanks, Elly!

Maria January 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I definitely need to watch what I eat this year! This is a great dish … I love cmbining spinach with feta in a saute … like spanakopita without all the calories of phyllo and eggs.

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo January 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm

The addition of peppers and feta really brighten up a sometimes boring vegetable! I bet it would be good with goat cheese too!

Shannon October 25, 2011 at 2:44 pm

This was awesome!!! Hate to admit it but I’ve never gone the wilted spinach route before and now I’m kicking myself for it- the tastebuds are delighted and your recipe is much appreciated by all the senses!! Thanks!

elly October 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm

So happy to hear you enjoyed it, Shannon!