Cannellini Beans with Tomatoes, Bulgur, and Arugula

October 26, 2009 · 18 comments

in beans and legumes,dairy-free,healthy,italian,quick and easy,rice and grains,vegetarian

I love Google Reader, but one of its biggest problems is the ease with which I can star/favorite posts.  Since half the feeds I subscribe to (ok, maybe more like 2/3…) are food related, I wind up saving hundreds of recipes, 98% of which will never get made.

Sometimes, I just need a reminder, though.  I had favorited this recipe from Mark Bittman back in the day, but when it came up again thanks to the post on Proceed with Caution, I took it as a sign that I needed to make this, and soon.  No forgetting this time!  I love bulgur, I love cannellini beans, and I love leafy greens so I was sure to love this. And I did. This was super simple to make, tasted great, and was really comforting. It makes a great vegetarian dish, or a side to a protein, and there is a good chance you  have all the ingredients on hand (or if you don’t, just be like me, and change the recipe).

I altered the recipe quite a bit, mostly to make it easier on myself. I used canned beans and some leftover diced tomatoes I had in the fridge, crushed red pepper instead of fresh, and spinach instead of arugula since that is what I  had on hand.  When I read the recipe ingredients, and then when I saw it in the bowl, I knew that it would benefit from some cheese so I shaved a few slices of Pecorino Romano onto it.

I’m glad to scratch off a recipe from the very large to-try pile, and glad it was a hit, too!

Lindsey October 26, 2009 at 1:39 pm

This looks so good! Your pictures are seriously amazing!! :)

Ivy October 26, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I do have all the ingredients and I love bulgur plus it’s a very healthy dish.

Meghan October 26, 2009 at 3:07 pm

This looks like a nice healthy dish! Your idea of the shaved Parm is excellent! I agree with you that I star WAY more things that I could ever make!

Juliana October 26, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Bulgur! I have some at home and was just wondering what to do with it…great idea…looks absolutely yummie!

susan from food blogga October 26, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I hear you on the Reader! I’m doing it right now! This is such a simple yet boldly flavored dish. I love every ingredient in it, Elly!

nina October 26, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I have so many tins of cannelini beans in my pantry, because you can make any meal just so much more healthy and filling with them. This is not a recipe I will file or bookmark….I am making this today!!!!

tobias cooks! October 27, 2009 at 3:51 am

I like dishes that cen be just a Mezze but as well a whole meal, if you wish to.

Joan Nova October 27, 2009 at 6:44 am

Like your version better than Bittman’s. It screamed cheese to me too. I’ve yet to work with bulgur. I guess it’s time.

Peter G October 27, 2009 at 7:38 am

Cannellini beans are a staple in my pantry….and the bulgur is so healthy. A very healthy dish overall, Elly.

Erin October 27, 2009 at 9:55 am

You have saved the day for me! Or at least saved my dinner! I was just thinking how I need to plan something for dinner tonight, and I really need to use up some of the stuff I have stockpiled in my pantry. What do you know… I have bulgur and beans on hand! A quick trip to HarvesTime should be easy, and this looks so good.

Also, I tend to only remember recipes I star if I make them quickly… otherwise they get lost in my reader. Making this the day I see it is a sure bet I’ll actually do it :) Thanks Elly, Bitman, and Proceed w/ caution!

Maria October 27, 2009 at 10:21 am

Beans in the pantry are a must for me too. Can’t do without them. This looks like such a hearty yet light dish all at once … and such great colors. Yummy!

Woman with a Whisk October 27, 2009 at 10:30 am

I’ve never worked with bulgar, but this looks like a great recipe to start with. Think it would work with quinoa too?

elly October 27, 2009 at 11:00 am

I definitely think it would work with quinoa and it would be great. Just add a few minutes to the cook time and you should be good.

foodietwoshoes October 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I have all the ingredients for this and will be making it for dinner tonight! I needed to use up the rest of the arugula in my fridge anyway.

Bellini Valli October 27, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I have been looking to introduce more beans into my diet so this would be up at the the top of the list.

Kerstin October 27, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Mmm, this looks so healthy and flavorful. I like your substitutions and the cheese you added on top!

Peter October 28, 2009 at 4:38 am

What a fine rustic dish with many textures going on here. Pligouri (bulgur) is a wonderful, ancient and healthy ingredient.

katie November 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm

This looks super delicious!! I need to get some argula to make this right away!!