Chicken Chili with Black Beans and Corn

September 16, 2009 · 21 comments

in beans and legumes,chicken/poultry,healthy,mexican/tex-mex,soups and stews

As soon as the temperature dipped below 75, I pulled out my Dutch oven. I know a lot of people are sad that we (in the Midwest) didn’t get much of a summer this year, but to me “not much of a summer” = the best summer ever. I don’t know why people complain about the lack of 90+ degree days full of icky humidity.  Instead, we Midwesterners should be complaining about the lack of a fall we  have every.single.year. A week of open windows in between running the air conditioner and running the heat is what a typical fall here seems to be.

Of course in the time since I made this soup, temps have gone right back up into the 80s. But, that’s fine with me. As long as my deodorant hasn’t worn off before I get to the train and I don’t walk into work with wet hair (that’s not from a shower), the weather works for me. But, I’m hoping that making things like soups and doing some fall baking will usher the fall into Chicago.

I wasn’t sure if I should call this a soup or a chili. It has beans, tomatoes and chili powder in it, so I went with chili (even though it’s got a brothy base and isn’t quite as thick as a traditional chili). Whatever you want to call it, it’s delicious. Something of a cross between a chili and a chicken tortilla soup, this soup is only a little bit spicy but full of delicious flavors. Aleppo chili powder is a tiny bit spicier than ancho but is also fruitier so it balances nicely. Of course, if you don’t have aleppo chili powder, feel free to use any chili powder you do have.

We topped this soup/chili with crushed tortilla chips and a little cheese and light sour cream before eating. The leftovers lacked the adornments (well, except the chips) but were possibly even better. I love that about soups and stews!

Cate September 16, 2009 at 7:53 pm

It’s not exactly feeling like fall yet here, but it’s a LOT cooler than it was a few weeks ago, so I’m starting to put things like this on our weekly menu. I can’t wait to try this!

Jessica September 16, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Although it does not feel like fall at all here in Florida, I am pretending like it is! Can’t wait to try this soon!

nina September 17, 2009 at 12:44 am

We are preparing for summer, but it is still raining almost every 2nd day. This is a lovely recipe to make now while not quite hot enough for a salad yet!!!

Jan September 17, 2009 at 6:20 am

Sounds delicious. How many cans of black beans?

elly September 17, 2009 at 7:06 am

1 can of beans, Jan. Sorry, I completely left that out of the write up! It’s fixed now.

Meghan September 17, 2009 at 6:20 am

Looks great!!! I love this kind of soup/chili. I am ready for fall too. I am so with you on not understanding why so many people complain that we didn’t have such a miserable summer. Several weeks ago when we had a very nice cool week in Chicago, all my coworkers complained that it was too cold for August – I was loving it!

Erin September 17, 2009 at 8:55 am

This sounds so good! Sometimes I feel like the chili I make ends up too thick, so a little bit soupier sounds good to me. We’ve already made soup once or twice at my house, too, so don’t feel bad! And I think so far the weather has just felt like a continuation of summer, except it’s been getting chilly at night. I actually wore a sweatshirt at the Cubs game on Tuesday night! I was one of those people who missed the super hot days… but I am really enjoying the weather at this point :)

emily227 September 17, 2009 at 10:51 am

This looks great. I have only seen white chicken chili before, so this looks like a really good alternative!

star squiggle September 17, 2009 at 4:47 pm

i made this today and it was delish…but, i think it should officially be called.. Chicken Chili Soup……..

elly September 17, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Glad you liked it, star! :)

Bellini Valli September 17, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Eeryeaonsit’s advantages but comforting dishes like this are the best part of fall.

Joelen September 18, 2009 at 9:27 am

This looks comforting and perfect for the fall season!

Joan Nova September 18, 2009 at 10:24 am

Funny, I was looking at the title ‘chile’ and the photo and thinking ‘soup’ and then I read on. Sounds delicious and we have to come with a special name…chiloup?

Colleen September 18, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Mmmmm, delicious flavors in here. I am so excited for the cooler weather to make things like this!

Kevin September 19, 2009 at 2:14 pm

That chili looks tasty! The corn would add a nice sweetness.

Kerstin September 20, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I love how soup/chili is even better the next day too! And I’m with you on being fine with the weather as long as I’m not sweaty after my public transportation commute! This looks like a great chili, I just saved the recipe for when it cools off :)

b*schus September 23, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I’m with you on the Chicago summer–especially living in a vintage with no central air! This weekend might be too nice for chili (fingers crossed) but I’m saving this away…

Peter September 28, 2009 at 3:38 pm

OK, the weather has turned and is high time I start getting in on your latin flavours that you cook-up so well!

Melissa May 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm