A Year in the Kitchen with Nigel Slater: July's Peach & Blueberry Sour Cream Cobbler

July 26, 2009 · 17 comments

in desserts/sweets,nigel slater

Every July, we manage to spend at least half the month out of town.  So every July, things are a little quiet around the blog.  Besides that, I’ve been in such a funk lately with meals– pretty unoriginal and just cooking with whatever I have sitting around. It’s not as easy to justify grocery shopping when you’re going to be leaving again in a few days.

After looking at the calendar and realizing July was nearly up, I thought I’d better get to work on my Nigel Slater recipe for the month. If I’m being honest, July has (thus far) been the least exciting months for me from In the Kitchen (in terms of the number of recipes I want to try).  Nothing really jumped out at me quite as much as in earlier months.  I decided to go with this cobbler since it used seasonal fruit and I haven’t tried a dessert recipe of Nigel’s yet.

This cobbler came together very quickly. The most time consuming part was pinching the dough and placing it on top of the berries, which is really not that time consuming. I even managed to make this without getting like 2 lbs. of flour on various kitchen surfaces or uttering a single curse word.

Considering this doesn’t have a whole lot of sugar and, well, not quite as much butter as most cobbler recipes, it’s not quite as bad for you.  I made it even more not-as-bad-for-you by opting for half whole wheat flour and light sour cream.   I will say, though, that I did think the filling needed a little more sugar. Perhaps my berries and peaches weren’t as sweet, or perhaps I just have a crazy sweet tooth.  I’ve adjusted below to put “1-2 Tbsp. sugar” (the original recipe called for 1).  I also ended up using a little more sour cream, and baking this about 10 minutes longer than the amount of time Nigel stated (so, about 35 minutes total).

Peach and Blueberry Sour Cream Cobbler

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
2.5 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. (heaping) sugar
6 Tbsp. cold butter
4 oz. light sour cream, or a little more

turbinado (or granulated) sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 400.

Toss together  all the ingredients for the fruit filling in a baking dish or pan.

To make the cobbler crust, add all ingredients except the sour cream into a food processor and pulse to combine, until the mixture resembles soft, fresh breadcrumbs. Tip into a bowl, and then mix in the sour cream.

Break off walnut sized pieces of the dough mixture, flatten slightly, and then lay on top of the fruit.  When you  have added all the dough, sprinkle it lightly with turbinado sugar.

Bake for about 25-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.

Cate July 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm

GORGOUS pictures! I love subbing in whole wheat flour but never thought about doing it with cobbler. It sounds delicious (even if it did need a tiny bit more sugar)

nina July 27, 2009 at 1:19 am

Very rustic and most inviting|!!! I love the addition of the sour cream and the WW flour…..I can imagine that it makes a huge difference to the taste!!

Peter G July 27, 2009 at 3:43 am

I love cobbler…I sometimes use buttermilk (or yogurt) to make the topping…love the peaches and blueberries Elly!

Kevin July 27, 2009 at 5:34 am

Peach and blueberry is such a wonderful combo! I like the sound of the sour cream crust!

Bellini Valli July 27, 2009 at 6:55 am

Peaches and blueberries together…what a treat Elly.

Erin July 27, 2009 at 10:28 am

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one struggling with cooking/blogging this month! It’s been busy lately. This cobbler sounds really tasty, and I have been eating lots of blueberries and peaches lately. At least it’s “healthier”… and still sounds tasty!

And yes, I’m working at the Lincoln Square Chopping Block. It’s such a fun job! If you’re wondering around the square one weekend, stop by and say hi!

Ivy July 27, 2009 at 10:54 am

Sounds delicious but I am having a hard time trying to learn all these similarities in baking. What’s the difference of a cobbler, a crumble and a crisp?

elly July 27, 2009 at 11:02 am

Ivy, I used to get them confused frequently, too. Susan has a great post about the differences: http://foodblogga.blogspot.com/2008/07/triple-berry-rhubarb-crisp-and-why-its.html

Joelen July 27, 2009 at 12:31 pm

This and your recent recipes all look wonderful! The combo of peach and blueberry looks delicious! I’ve been on a slight commenting hiatus with my busy schedule lately… but it’s great to catch up and see what’s cooking in your kitchen!

Juliana July 27, 2009 at 5:15 pm

This cobbler looks so yummie…peach and blueberry…love it…all the fruits that are in season…great pictures as well!

Jessica July 27, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Wow! Beautiful! And it sounds delicious as well of course!

John July 29, 2009 at 12:55 am

Wow, looks fantastic! Your pictures are amazing too–I always have trouble with that.

maris July 29, 2009 at 9:53 pm

I made a peach and blueberry cobbler a few weeks ago that I can’t wait to post. This looks SO SO SO good!

She-Fit July 30, 2009 at 11:06 am

Awh, I love cobbler! This sounds delicious. I need a reason to bake this now… Maybe friday when i hangout with my friends!!!!

arimou0 July 30, 2009 at 7:08 pm

July is such a lazy month for me in the kitchen. Sandwiches and pizzas are our most usual dinners… That cobbler looks so good, I have never made a dessert with sour cream, I need to change that.

Kerstin August 1, 2009 at 12:02 am

Haha, I usually get flour everywhere too :) I really love peaches and blueberries together. Your cobbler is making my mouth water!

michelle September 18, 2009 at 12:45 pm

I came across this page and saw the delicious looking fruit cobbler,well i had to give it a go. I only had plain flour in the kitchen,and no sour cream but used yogurt.
It was so quick and easy to make and so tasty that its on the family menu from now on.