Blackened Chicken

March 15, 2009 · 11 comments

in chicken/poultry,healthy,quick and easy

It was pretty obvious to me that our smoke detector batteries had died as I was making this chicken.  My kitchen was full of smoke and not a peep from the detector. Thankfully, this doesn’t need to cook for terribly long so  you only need to damage your lungs just a little bit while making this chicken. :) Be sure to turn on your fan (mine pretty much sucks, which didn’t help the situation) and crack some windows if possible, to help air out the kitchen.

I really love the flavor of blackened chicken. It’s just a little spicy, a little smoky. I tend to gravitate toward it in place of plain grilled chicken if I’m getting a salad or pasta dish at a restaurant. The nice thing is, it’s still healthy and flavorful, while being something just a little different than your standard cooked chicken breast.

The secret to blackened chicken is a cast iron skillet. The original recipe calls for this to be finished off in the oven, but I don’t see the point (well, except for less smoke inhalation, I suppose).  On the stovetop, the chicken is cooked to perfection in no time.  This is a flavorful, healthy recipe and a great thing to make when you want something simple and light with minimal work. We had this with some brown rice mixed with lime juice and parsley and some roasted green beans/bell pepper strips.

Ivy March 15, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I learn so many new things every day. Never heard of blackened chicken until now. I love all the flavours.

Peter G March 15, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I can just picture you Elly, trying to fan down the smoke! Delicious chicken and I agree about the smokiness of this dish…it adds a wonderful dimension.

Kira March 15, 2009 at 4:06 pm

What a great quick meal! I love blackened chicken. This is the perfect cure for grilled chicken breast blahs.

Bellini Valli March 15, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I have had blackened fish before so why not use the same method on my favourite chicken. Good call:D

Kerstin March 15, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I love blackened chicken and yours looks perfect! Such a healthy meal, but still full of flavor.

Kerstin March 15, 2009 at 8:57 pm

truenorth67 March 15, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Elly, I’ve just recently bought and I’m enjoying the cast iron skillet. The blackenend cooking method is quick, easy and consistent results. I can almost taste that smoky flavour.

nina March 16, 2009 at 2:13 am

I get that effect when I do steaks on my griddle pan, but the end result is so worth it…..The chicken looks so moist and yummee!!!

maria March 17, 2009 at 4:40 am

i’ve had this kind of chicken before, and i know how good it tastes
nice work

Patrick March 22, 2009 at 10:23 am

Try this: Get your skillet super hot in your kitchen and get your grill outside hot as well. After you prep your chicken set it out side next to the grill. Take your skillet out to the grill quickly and carefully then toss the chicken in and once the smoke dies down (should take @ 30 seconds) bring it back in to finish it off. I usually only dust one side with the spice, but if you are into both sides, just flip it when the smoke dies on the first side. Fish and steak are also good this way.

I know it sound like a lot to go through, but it totally eliminates the smoke-in-your-house factor.

Karla March 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I absolutely love the way you talk about fanning the smoke detector. I don’t feel like people really talk about that but we all know doing it too well :)