Bison Burgers with Pinot Noir Onions & Goat Cheese

February 17, 2009 · 33 comments

in bison,burgers and sandwiches,goat cheese

If you’ve read my blog long enough, you know that one of my favorite types of cheese is goat cheese. What you probably didn’t know is that my favorite wine varietal is pinot noir. So, it would only make sense to combine the two in order to make something doubly awesome, right? Right.

Pinot noir and goat cheese pair beautifully together, and I often indulge in the combination.  After going to a friend’s and having burgers with cabernet onions & cheddar, I thought about how it would only make sense to combine my favorite wine and one of my favorite cheeses (can anyone pick a favorite, really?) into a burger, too.

I used bison as the basis of the burger  because it’s flavorful but still healthy and lean.  Buffalo are always grass-fed, which is nice, since Americans these days are walking tortilla chips, thanks to all the corn byproducts in…err, everything. If you want to know a little more about bison, check out Jenn’s post here.  I seasoned the bison pretty simply for a couple reasons: to actually taste bison, and so the onions and goat cheese didn’t have to compete with other strong flavors.

I love caramelized onions. Loooooove them. As you know, my palate has changed quite a bit over the  years, and one of the things I’ve grown to love are onions. I’m still not a big fan of them raw (a little too pungent for me), but they turn into something completely different when caramelized or roasted.  One of the coolest things about cooking to me is how properties of ingredients can shift so much. If you’ve ever whipped a solitary egg white into an entire bowl of meringue, you know what I mean.

The hardest (and by that, I mean, most time-consuming) part of this recipe is caramelizing the onions, and you can do that the day before if you want. Otherwise, this comes together so easily and is a nice alternative to your traditional cheeseburger.

truenorth67 February 17, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Elly, I think our other fave, smoked Gouda would work here too! Bison is lean but Ohhh so flavourful.

brannyboilsover February 17, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Those onions look great.

Molly Jean February 17, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Those onions look delightful. I often do that with mushrooms instead… SO GOOD!

kokomama February 17, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Those onions look scrumptious!

Erin February 17, 2009 at 9:21 pm

This has been bookmarked and WILL be made! My SO loves goat cheese, and a good burger. PS. I feel the same exact way about onions.

Erin February 17, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Joelen February 17, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Love the flavors incorporated into this burger! Looks fantastic!

Peter G February 17, 2009 at 10:47 pm

A great combination definitely! I love caramelized onion too!

Ivy February 18, 2009 at 12:26 am

I’ve never had Bison before but your pictures wants me to grab it from the screen.

Ivy February 18, 2009 at 12:26 am

nina February 18, 2009 at 3:40 am

In any restaurant this burger will be on the Gourmet Burger page!!! Everything about this post wants me to cook and be creative…it really got my creative juices flowing!!! I’ll have to opt for any game meat or maybe ostrich.
Ps. I love red onions raw, but all others are to caramelized!!!

joan nova February 18, 2009 at 8:02 am

mmm…what time is lunch?

katie February 18, 2009 at 8:21 am

WOW! What an INSANELY fabulous burger!!! Can you be my personal chef?? YUM!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie February 18, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I love buffalo burgers! I wish I could find the meat for a fair price around here.

Kate February 18, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Goat cheese on a burger? DE-vine!

Laurie Constantino February 18, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Wow, those onions look amazing. They look great on the burger, but they’d be a tasty addition to just about anything.

maria February 19, 2009 at 10:59 am

I love caramelizing onions for a burger. Add the goat cheese to the short list of “condiments” and you are good to go. No ketchup here — caramelized onions and goat cheese are the way to go! You’ve definitely got some amazing flavors working together here.

Eileen February 19, 2009 at 6:00 pm

This looks fabulous! Ground bison is all I buy anymore if I’m needing a ground meat.

Kevin February 19, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Goat cheese and caramelized onions sound really good. They would go well in a burger.

kayte February 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm

these burgers look absolutely fab! pinot noir is my fave wine, and i ADORE goat cheese. what a great combo!

peabody February 22, 2009 at 12:19 am

Oh yum, the pinot onions and goat cheese sounds so good!!!

peabody February 22, 2009 at 12:19 am

Oh yum, the pinot onions and goat cheese sounds so good!!!

Courtney April 6, 2009 at 9:57 am

I made the onions last week, and they put our turkey burgers over the edge. We loved it so much that I’ll be making it again this week! Goat cheese and Pinot Noir are two of my favorite things, so this one was a no brainer for me.

Courtney April 6, 2009 at 9:57 am

Erin June 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Thanks again for posting this great recipe! I love it when I made it!

Erin June 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Thanks again for posting this great recipe! I love it when I made it!

Nicholas Robinson February 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I’m thinking of making a combo bison/duck burger (from scratch, of course). The duck fat would make up for the lean bison. Yes, caramelised onions (or even pinot noir onions) would be in there . . . I’m thinking a combo of goat cheese and very old cheddar, with a homemade spicy ketchup.

I’m trying to envision the taste in my mind, and all I can come up with is sheer bliss . . .

Marilyn Bay Wentz March 19, 2014 at 11:56 am

I am gathering innovative recipes, photos and chef features for our annual food issue, which comes out in July, as the national celebrates (or so we hope they do) National Bison month. Would I have permission to use your Bison Tacos with Avocado and Radish recipe? If you have other bison recipes, please send those, as well. Also, would love to have the high rez photo of this dish, as this is a glossy, four-color magazine. Finally, a photo and blurb of you would be great. My deadline to have everything is May 1, but I need a commitment prior to that, so I know where I’m at.

We don’t pay for submissions, but it is great exposure to our 1000 National Bison Association members and to their customers. We also send you courtesy copies. Can you let me know whether or not you’d like to participate?

Marilyn Bay Wentz
Editor, Bison World
marilyn.wentz@tds.net
303-292-2833, ext. 301

Marilyn Bay Wentz March 19, 2014 at 11:58 am

Ooops, hit the sent button inadvertently. Sorry. I wanted to use several bison recipes from popular blogs, including yours for the burger with goat cheese and pinot carmelized onions.

Marilyn Wentz