The first time I ever cooked for my husband (then boyfriend) I made these stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. I have no proof, but I think that may be when he fell in love with me. The pasta I made loaded with cheese and cream probably helped, too. Well, and of course my good looks, charm, and intelligence. 🙂 And modesty.
I have made these a few times and everyone always loves them. They disappear almost immediately. I am not huge on seafood, so these don’t have any crab like a lot of stuffed mushroom recipes do. Instead they have something way better–bacon.
Adapted from Allrecipes
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
5 slices bacon
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 bunch fresh spinach
1/3 c. heavy cream
12-16 large stuffing mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. grated pecorino romano (or parmesan) cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 and grease a cookie or baking sheet (or just use a silpat)
2. Cook bacon, drain, and crumble. Set aside.
3. Remove stems from mushrooms. Arrange caps in baking dish and finely chop stems.
4. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan over medium heat and add onion. Cook 2-3 minutes before adding garlic and spinach. Cook spinach down and make sure garlic and onion are tender.
5. Mix in bacon, chopped stems, and cream. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Mix in cheese, salt, and pepper.
6. Stuff mushroom caps generously with mixture. Drizzle 2 tablespoons melted butter over. Bake for 25-30 minutes.