Sticky Orange-Glazed Chicken

September 25, 2013 · 9 comments

in chicken/poultry

There seem to be a lot of people in this world that dislike dark meat chicken or refuse to eat chicken on a bone, and they baffle me. I think it must have to do with boneless/skinless chicken breasts becoming all the rage in the nineties, and now people are just used to it, maybe? Afraid to step out of their comfort zone?

On the other hand, I grew up in a household where entire chickens were roasted and the packaged boneless/skinless breasts very rarely made an appearance. The drumsticks were always my favorite part of the chicken, and because I was totally spoiled, I got them every time. I lived with my grandparents and my grandma would roast at least one chicken per week. It went without saying that the drumsticks were mine. It got to the point where she had to start buying extra drumsticks, so we’d essentially eat an 8-legged chicken, because other people wanted the drumsticks, too (and I wouldn’t give them up)!

Dark meat chicken is more tender and juicy than white, especially on the bone. It just is. I have so many recipes that are basically variants on roast chicken and, guess what, here’s another one!

The original recipe called for thighs but I used drumsticks because they are what I had in the freezer. Obviously I love drumsticks, but the main reason I’ve been buying them more is that they cook more quickly than thighs or leg quarters, which allows me to enjoy roast chicken during the week. This chicken is brushed with what is essentially an orange barbecue sauce. It’s nice and sweet, but has just a small kick from the hot sauce. Putting the chicken under the broiler (another thing I love and other people seem to be scared of) makes these sticky and caramelized and just fabulous.

If, in my near 7 years of blogging, I persuade you of nothing other than eating dark meat chicken, I will consider it a success.

Joanne September 26, 2013 at 5:30 am

I tried to cook dark meat for my family a few times back before I stopped eating meat and they would not have it! It was crazy. Have no idea what the hold up was!

Elvia September 26, 2013 at 10:37 am

Gotta admit Elly – you converted me with your recipes – i definitely have to try this one! :)

Kate September 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I’ll admit it, I prefer white meat to dark. Luckily for my husband – he gets those drumsticks! Because even if I prefer the breast, I still roast whole chickens, or use chicken thighs in recipes.

Liane September 28, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Dark meat all the way. It’s all my in Indian in-laws cook. Can’t wait to try this out!

Courtney September 28, 2013 at 10:24 pm

You know you’ve converted me to the dark side (haha, couldn’t resist). I love the way the broiler achieves that delicious caramelization, too.

Angie @ Coffee and Cannolis October 1, 2013 at 8:02 am

I’ve been able to get my husband to not freak out over bone-in breasts, but I’m still working on dark meat :( I grew up with my dad only eating white, my mom dark and I’d eat either, but deep down I prefer dark. I may have to start buying more whole chickens, cut up chickens, etc. so he still gets his white!

Erin October 4, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I grew up in a boneless skinless chicken breast family, but once we tried thighs we weren’t going back :) Now it’s all we have, or just roasting the whole chicken, but then no one wants to breasts! Ha!

TL October 8, 2013 at 5:59 am

This was a hit! My five year old (a notoriously picky eater!) daughter gave it two thumbs up at first. Then she decided that she needed ‘all of the arms in the universe’ so they could all give it a thumbs up.

I guess I am adding this to our rotation! Thanks for sharing!

elly October 8, 2013 at 8:07 am

Wow, that’s a really high compliment! So glad it was a hit!