Chorizo, Mushroom & Potato Tacos

August 14, 2013 · 15 comments

in mexican/tex-mex,pork,potatoes,quick and easy

YOU GUYS! These tacos? They are so, so good. Like, I-want-to-be-one-of-those-families-who-has-a-Taco-Tuesday-and-have-these-be-our-weekly-tacos good.

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked in Mexican Everyday for ages, and I’m so angry it took me so long to make them. I have been missing out for way, way too long. These are easily some of the best tacos I’ve ever eaten, and I have eaten a lot of tacos.

Plus? They really couldn’t be any easier. You just cook some chorizo (really, you could just stop right there and these would be great since anything that starts with chorizo is delicious), add some mushrooms and grated potato (I know, kinda weird, right?) and you’re done. Somehow, with those few ingredients and minimal cooking time, something wonderful happens. Zachary actually asked if these were hash browns and admittedly, they are pretty similar (assuming you eat super tasty hash browns), so if you don’t want to eat them as tacos, you could always serve them with an egg and be done. Or, I don’t know, just spoon directly from the pan into  your mouth.

Josie August 14, 2013 at 8:34 am

I think it’s been 3 years since I first made these tacos, and they are still in the top 3 of my favorite meals. We actually just had them last week as a matter of fact! :) …. and now I want to make them tonight…

elly August 14, 2013 at 8:39 am

Yeah, working on the blog post made me want to have them again. I think they’ll have to reappear next week… :)

Kevin @ Closet Cooking August 14, 2013 at 9:42 am

Those are some tasty sounding tacos!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up August 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

These sound fantastic! And easy, so it should be perfect when I have all of 2 seconds to cook dinner here in a few weeks!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up August 29, 2013 at 10:57 am

Made this last night and we really enjoyed it! I used regular button mushrooms and a sweet potato and even with the substitutions it turned out great. Thanks for sharing!

Kate August 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

You definitely could have stopped with the chorizo. That’s where you sold me!

Caroline {TheBarbeeHousewife} August 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Okay, I need these tacos. They sound perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Joanne August 15, 2013 at 5:37 am

Yes I would be happy doing some spooning of these directly into my mouth!

Dana August 15, 2013 at 8:55 am

These look glorious! We eat tacos pretty often at our house, so it’s nice to find new filling ideas to try.

Kelsey August 15, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Oh wow. I need these in my life.

vlora August 18, 2013 at 7:31 pm

elly, the mexican chourizo i got is two links, not something i can crumble. do i just slice it? thanks

elly August 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Vlora, is it raw under the casing? Can you remove the casing? If not I think you may have gotten dried/cured chorizo. It won’t really be the same but it could probably still be used, just diced. You will probably need a little extra oil and since it’s already cooked, you don’t need to cook it, just brown it a little.

vlora August 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm

thanks elly, yes it’s dried (like sausage), i could probably use ground turkey or something but nonetheless i am making with the churizo i got. i will let you know how it turns out. thank you for the easy, what sounds like, yum recipe.

Mushrooms Canada August 19, 2013 at 6:54 am

Tacos have to be one of my favourite meals and this recipe, with the delicious Shiitake mushrooms, will be a hit in my home! Thanks for sharing!!

Shannon

Krystal R {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} August 20, 2013 at 12:31 am

I love these tacos, too! One of our top favorite taco night meals, your picture looks AMAZING!!