Tequila-Lime Chicken with Mexican Black Bean Sauce

June 18, 2013 · 12 comments

in beans and legumes,chicken/poultry,dairy-free,healthy,mexican/tex-mex

You can probably tell from reading this blog that I have a pretty informal writing style, and that if you were to talk to me in person, I would sound…well, pretty much the same. I don’t really do formulaic blog posts (or, if I do, they’re not intentional), and whenever I don’t feel like writing, I simply don’t post. I never want this blog to become more of a chore than a fun hobby.

That said, even as a fun hobby with typically quickly written and colloquial posts, I get writer’s block. I’ve never been one to think I need to tell a story with every post, or be super interesting or anything, but sometimes I have a hard time saying anything other than, “I made this meal. It was good. If you want to make it, here’s the recipe” (which, if I’m being honest, does sound quite a bit like my blog posts from the first  year or so).

The truth is, sometimes that’s all there is to say.

So -

I made this meal. I’ve been wanting to make Ina’s tequila-lime chicken for years and though I’ve made countless of-the-cuff marinades that are similar, I’d never used an actual recipe. Plus, it’s just the time of year for grilled chicken, isn’t it? As for the black bean sauce, I just loved the sound of it and it seemed like it would be a good fit for this chicken.  Something to boost the heartiness and fiber a bit, and still complement the chicken without being too heavy.

It was good. We eat a fair amount of chicken at home and while I pretty much never order chicken in restaurants, the truth is, I do actually like it quite a bit and could probably eat some sort of marinated/spiced grilled chicken on a very regular basis. The citrus in this chicken is flavorful and summery and there is just a little hint of spice.  The black bean sauce pairs really well with it and since we had it with some cilantro-lime rice, the meal was almost like eating a burrito bowl. The three of us were all fans of this meal. By the way, if you’re looking for another use for the black bean sauce (or if you cook less chicken and have extra), the chicken fajita pizza from Jessica’s blog is mighty tasty!

If you want to make it, here’s the recipe:

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor June 18, 2013 at 10:25 am

Yum, this sauce over the tequila lime chicken sounds delicious! And don’t worry, while I love hearing what you have to say, I mostly like looking at your drool worthy pictures.

Kylee June 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

OMG. Yes.
Just. YES.

I’m with Ashley – I like your blog, and recipes, and while a good story is great, it’s not essential when you’re serving up deliciousness like THAT!

Joelen June 18, 2013 at 10:53 am

The black bean sauce looks fantastic… and I can see that used with pork and beef too. Yum!

Caitlin June 18, 2013 at 11:11 am

Ok, we’re having this tonight! Original plan was chicken fajitas with black beans on the side, but this looks so good!

Kate June 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’m in the process of switching over to feedly. Today I “tagged” this as my very first “starred” alternative!

Aimee @ See Aimee Cook June 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

This looks amazing!! I am pinning it so I can make is soon.

And I’m with you on the writing… sometimes, there is no story behind a meal – it’s simply a great meal worthy of sharing. Though I always feel pressured to say something other than ‘it was good – make it!’ Glad I’m not alone! :)

Suzanne June 18, 2013 at 8:14 pm

My husband would love that black bean sauce. And I totally relate: there are times when I just stare at the blank computer screen wondering, “what do I write about in this post???”

Joanne June 19, 2013 at 5:48 am

haha I get writer’s block on pretty much a daily basis! So I totally understand.

THat black bean sauce does sound MIGHTY tasty though…I would probably attempt to drink just that!

Coleen @ The Redhead Baker June 19, 2013 at 9:00 am

I had to laugh reading your post — I’ve had the same writers’ block when blogging about some recipes. “What do I say? I made it, it was good.” I love the sound of tequila-lime chicken.

Kalyn June 23, 2013 at 12:21 pm

This really sounds like a winner!

Melanie June 24, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Would love a pin button :)

elly June 24, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Melanie – toward the bottom of the post, you should see a pin it button. :)