Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde

June 7, 2013 · 8 comments

in dairy-free,healthy,mexican/tex-mex,quick and easy,seafood

I’m  not the world’s biggest seafood fan, but I’ve come a long way. Technically, I can say that I’ve “always” liked shrimp, but the shrimp I liked as a child was the popcorn variety – aka, lots of oil and breading, very little actual shrimp. These days, while I still don’t eat fish all that often, I always have a bag of frozen shrimp hanging around. It’s so great to have for quick, easy meals and it’s been used many times to whip up something on a night when we don’t have anything planned or when plans go awry. Tom would probably eat shrimp (or any type of seafood) on a daily basis, and Zachary is definitely following in his footsteps in that regard.

I must say, with all the things I’ve done with frozen shrimp over the years, I don’t believe I’ve ever made tacos. While fresh shrimp would be great here, frozen absolutely works, too. The sauce on these tacos is basically a standard tomatillo/verde sauce, but with the addition of avocado to make it creamier. It reminded me a lot of this sauce, especially since I added lime juice to it, so obviously it was a winner with all of us. I charred the vegetables in a cast iron skillet beforehand, like all of Rick Bayless’s salsa recipes seem to do, because I think it makes it taste better.  Zachary finished his taco before I even got to sit down and start mine. Thankfully, asking for THREE helpings of a tomato/bean/corn salad thing we had on the side kept him sitting at the table while Tom and I finished our meal.

Joanne June 7, 2013 at 5:21 am

I was never that into seafood either and certainly was never into cooking it…it’s hard to do at home! But these tacos look great.

I love the sound of that salsa…so versatile! I can think of a ton of summer uses for it!

bellini June 7, 2013 at 8:28 am

I also don’t eat fish and seafood very often but I do love a good “scoff.”

Mr. & Mrs. P June 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

Our favorite type of taco hands down!!!

Carrie June 7, 2013 at 10:38 am

This whole meals looks fantastic. Wish that I had it for lunch!

kelli June 7, 2013 at 11:11 am

Yum! These look amazing! When I saw this sauce, my first thought was the creamy green chile tomatillo sauce! ha! That is one of my favorite recipes you have ever posted, and I’ve made it several times. Loooove it! Can’t wait to make these! Thanks!

Kate June 7, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Great minds think alike. I was planning on having shrimp tacos for dinner tomorrow night! I just hope my little guy likes them as much as yours did. Mine is going through an anti-shrimp phase I think.

Cathy July 20, 2013 at 1:49 am

I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven’t already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Tuesday’s at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
Hugs, Cathy