Hummingbird Coffee Cake

October 9, 2012 · 11 comments

in breakfast/brunch,desserts/sweets

About 5 years ago, I got the idea to make an angel food cake for the first time, even though I’m not a huge angel food cake fan. I also decided to try and add a raspberry ribbon in the center. And since I didn’t have an angel food cake/tube pan, I went to buy one. Only, the store didn’t have one, so I ended up with a bundt pan. (Probably) needless to say, that angel food cake did not turn out well.

And, I haven’t used the bundt pan since. Instead, it’s been taking up valuable kitchen cabinet real estate where more useful things, like tart pans, could go. I rarely have a reason to make coffee/breakfasty type cakes, and until recently I didn’t really have coworkers to bring baked goods to so I wouldn’t eat them all. It seemed like time to bust out the bundt pan.

I searched my google reader for bundt recipes I’d starred, and this one popped up. It was perfect because I had exactly 2 oz. of cream cheese left and it used shredded coconut—and half a bag of shredded coconut has been sitting in my freezer for an eternity. I had all the other ingredients except the pineapple, and I just used canned tidbits for that rather than fresh, which worked fine.

This cake is pretty awesome. It’s incredibly moist, both from the yogurt and the mashed banana. Coconut and pineapple pair beautifully together (hello, piña coladas) and cream cheese frosting should be its own food group. One thing I did sort of fail at, though, was bringing baked goods to my coworkers. This cake was just too good to share, so Tom and I have been eating a piece of it for breakfast every morning. Hey, if the word “coffee” is in the title, that means cake is totally acceptable for breakfast consumption.

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up October 10, 2012 at 7:52 am

Cake is totally acceptable for breakfast, especially when “coffee” is in the name. :) Your *coffee* cake is absolutely stunning! Great use of that bundt pan!

bellini October 10, 2012 at 9:15 am

Bookmarked for those bananas on the counter.

Joanne October 10, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’m so glad I can access your site again! (had some issues this morning). I’ve always wanted to make a hummingbird cake but most of the time just don’t feel like making a huge layer cake ordeal. This is the perfect solution! Looks gorgeous. Definitely bakery-worthy.

Krissy@Daintychef October 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm

This looks delicious, gorgeous photos as well!

Heather October 10, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I bought a bundt pan for something a couple years ago and ended up never using it. I always say I am going to make something with it soon but never do. Maybe this awesome coffee cake will finally convince me to put it to use! This looks fantastic and I love your photos in this post!

Norma-Platanos, Mangoes and Me! October 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

I use mine of lots of things..especially flan and fill the center with fresh fruit. Love your cake and that frosting looks really good.

Katie (The Muffin Myth) October 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Mmmm, this looks so good! I like that is uses a bit of whole wheat flour and yoghurt to lighten it up a little bit. I think I had Annie’s recipe starred as well, this is a great reminder. Thanks for posting the recipe, the pictures are gorgeous!

Sprigs of Rosemary October 12, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’ve made hummingbird cake a number of times and it’s always a hit, although it’s so sweet it’s (almost) cloying. This coffee cake makes it breakfast food, you’re right!

Anna October 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Mmmm I have heard of the hummingbird cake before…but this breakfast version is where it’s at. Got to get cooking, and yeah, much better use than making angelfood cake (not a fan either).

Apple_cin October 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I have exactly the same issue with my bundt pan! I bought it for one particular recipe, tried it, failed, and it just sits on the shelf since then. Maybe I should try your cake, it sounds so delicious:)

Kerstin October 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Gorgeous pictures! I’m the same way with my bundt pan – I think I’ve used it twice and it takes up so much room. I also have a min bundt pan, and I’ve used it once, sigh. The cake looks like the perfect recipe to get my pan out for :)