Skillet Lasagna

October 7, 2012 · 15 comments

in beef,italian,pasta,quick and easy

Like most people, Tom loves lasagna. And I like it, too, but am generally far too lazy to make it. It’s not that it’s difficult, but by the time you assemble the components it can just be really time consuming. Plus, if I really feel like spending some time in the kitchen making a baked pasta dish, it’s gotta be pastitsio.

This recipe caught my eye because it had all the components of traditional lasagna, but was on the table in far less time. The sauce is made really simply from pureed canned tomatoes, and the lasagna noodles cook right in the sauce, absorbing all that flavor. Oh, and three types of cheese in this dish automatically means it’s going to be fabulous.

I replaced half the ground sirloin with Italian turkey sausage, because I really love sausage in my lasagna and feel it amps up the flavor a bit. I also used whole wheat noodles, so I added just a little bit of water along with the crushed tomatoes to help them cook, since they take a little big longer.

Other than that, I left the recipe as-is and we all loved how it turned out. This dish will no doubt be making several reappearances in our household.

Jennifer Brown October 7, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Great point about how time consuming it can be to make lasagne. I suppose there’s no real substitute for home made lasagne, but considering how long it takes it’s no wonder soooooo many people are totally fine with just picking up some pre-made lasagne at the grocery store.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 7, 2012 at 9:41 pm

This looks lovely!

Kerstin October 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm

It’s so pretty in the skillet and I love that it’s faster – yum! I rarely make lasagna for that same reason.

Joanne October 8, 2012 at 5:31 am

I pinned this when Josie posted it and I’m so glad you reminded me I haven’t made it yet! Weeknight-friendly lasagna always sounds good to me!

Anna October 8, 2012 at 7:27 am

Good idea doing it skillet style and I agree with you on the better time value of making that OTHER kind of lasagna ;P

Josie October 8, 2012 at 8:42 am

loved loved loved this dinner, and I’m glad you did too! I actually used half whole wheat noodles in mine too because I was using random boxes in the pantry. :) The weather is perfect now for this, so I definitely need to make it again soon.

Gillian at No Bite Left Behind October 8, 2012 at 9:18 am

I love how “rustic” and freeform your lasagna looks in the skillet! Question: I’ve been warned about putting tomatoes/tomato sauces in my cast iron skillet because their acidity (or something?) can strip off the seasoning. Have you experienced this?

elly October 8, 2012 at 9:33 am

Gillian, I wouldn’t say I put tomatoes in my skillet a TON or anything, but I’ve definitely used them with no ill effect on the skillet. I use my cast iron skillet ALL the time, though so to say it’s “well seasoned” is an understatement. :)

Julia @ JuliasAlbum.com October 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm

What a delicious looking lasagna! Beautiful photo!

bellini October 8, 2012 at 4:09 pm

One of my favourite one pan dishes to make on those busy weekdays.

Sarah October 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

I’m all for lazy girl shortcuts! This looks fantastic, and would be a perfect contribution to this month’s Shine Supper Club.

LeAndra October 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This dish looks absolutely, positively delicious. I’ve been on a kick searching for new cast iron skillet recipes recently. I am definitely looking forward to giving this one a try soon.

Suzanne @ kokocooks October 13, 2012 at 6:40 pm

What a great solution for those of us who are too lazy to assemble lasagna. I’m adding this to our menu for next week.

Laurie February 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

Thank you! I’ve made the recipe before but couldn’t find it. I wanted to be a hero tonight so that’s why I’m making it. :)

{ 1 trackback }