Beef Enchiladas with Chipotle-Pasilla Chile Gravy

September 24, 2012 · 11 comments

in beef,mexican/tex-mex

I’m apparently of the mind that you can never have too many enchilada recipes. But if you notice, none of the recipes I’ve posted use beef as a filling, which is why I (obviously) needed to try yet another new recipe.

These enchiladas are not hard to make, but they do take some time. After you toast the chiles, they need to soak for about 30 minutes, so be sure to plan accordingly. The sauce also needs to simmer for about 15 minutes at the end. I like that this recipes soaks the chiles after they’re toasted, because it makes the sauce smoother (and easier to strain, should you choose to/need to strain it). Plus, using dried chiles just makes such a flavorful enchilada sauce.

I didn’t see any dried chipotles at the grocery store so I ended up just using a chipotle in adobo. I’m sure this added a bit more spice because of the adobo sauce, so just know that the recipe below does make a pretty spicy enchilada sauce. I love spice so it’s not an issue for me, but if you don’t, you may way to omit the chipotle. Either way a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt cools this right down.

My blender is in a really, really high cabinet in the way back. So, I don’t use it often and generally when a recipe calls for a blender, I tend to use my food processor instead. It usually works out alright, but I wouldn’t recommend it in this case - particularly if you are chatting on your phone and don’t notice the beef broth oozing out of your food processor and down your cabinets onto your floors. Lesson learned.

Kevin (Closet Cooking) September 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

Tasty! I like it when a recipe starts with dried chile peppers!

bellini September 24, 2012 at 8:57 pm

It seems that after Independence Day I have Mexican food on my mind. Looks like we both do.

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up September 26, 2012 at 2:35 am

I’m seriously drooling right now. The gravy/sauce looks so incredibly rich and flavorful… I can’t wait to try this.

P.S. You’re right, there is no such thing as “too many” enchilada recipes!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up November 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Checking back after making these tonight!

Despite the fact that I bought the wrong (and way hotter) dry chiles and despite the fact that my corn tortilla rolling skills leave much to be desired, these were delicious! The gravy was my favorite part! I actually plan to have them again next week, hopefully I can do a better job of rolling and get a good picture so I can blog it!

elly November 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I am awful at tortilla rolling, too! Glad you liked them!

love cooking September 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm

This looks really delicious. I love the beef filling. I think it is nice to serve it with pasta or making a sandwich. But I really need to add some yogurt or sour cream that you have suggested to reduce the heat, it seem too spicy for me. :)

Suzanne September 27, 2012 at 6:16 am

These look beautiful! I’m always looking for new enchilada recipes. My husband will love these.

Kim October 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I made these last night and we (husband and I) LOVED them!

elly October 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Glad to hear it, Kim!

Kalee November 2, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I see black beans in the picture. Do you have a good recipe to spice up canned black beans? Thanks!

elly November 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm