Pasta with Chicken and Vegetables in Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce

August 22, 2012 · 11 comments

in chicken/poultry,pasta,vegetables

I’ve been craving pasta like crazy lately. I think part of it is that I’m ready for fall.  I’m ready for the homey, comforting dishes, the stick-to-your-ribs food, the sauces. The carbs.

But I’m trying to reconcile that with the fact that summer produce is pretty great – and still pretty prevalent. Despite having a drought in a lot of the US, it seems that everyone still has a lot of zucchini they’re looking to use up. This recipe will not only do that, but it will also bridge the gap between end-of-summer and so-ready-for-fall-and-pumpkins-and-apples-and-stews-I-could-burst.

Really, though, you can use any kind of vegetables in this you want. I liked the ones Jessica used, so I decided to stick with them. This recipe has made the rounds recently and has subsequently gone through a few adaptations. And who am I to keep it the same as the previous person? I ended up using a combination of half and half and chicken broth to keep this creamy, but still keep the fat down a bit. I also doubled the amount of roasted garlic and quite honestly could have easily tripled it, which I may go ahead and do next time. (Dear garlic: I love you.) I roasted the vegetables, since the oven was already on roasting garlic and chicken, so a lot of this dish was pretty hands-off.

Because a lot of the ingredients are the same, this reminded me of the Cajun chicken pasta, except of course the sauce is more garlicky than spicy. Basically, pasta + cream sauce will always win me over, no matter what time of year.

Ann P. August 23, 2012 at 2:27 am

That mix of veggies with the whole wheat pasta and the cream sauce sounds amazing!

Joanne August 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

I seem to be both eagerly awaiting fall and mourning the imminent loss of summer at the moment. It’s a weird feeling. I love the sound of this pasta dish! Anything roasted garlic can’t help but win me over.

Cherine August 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

I love this pasta dish!

Mary Ellen August 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm

This is such a good recipe!! When I made it I grilled the chicken and the veggies before tossing them with the pasta and sauce – so good!!! I agree with you on the garlic. There’s no such thing as too much!!

katie August 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I just made a version of this, it is posting tomorrow. Cream sauce is SO good on anything.

Krystal R {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} August 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

It’s funny how I see this dish popping up everywhere again ever since Jessica made it, but it’s a nice reminder on how much we loved it and how roasted garlic makes everything better!! MMMMM, glad you enjoyed it!! Looks absolutely fantastic!

Joell August 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I made this dish tonight with some tweaks (fat free etc) and it was delicious!!! Well done! This is a keeper! Plus I was able to use a ton of my produce!

elly August 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Awesome, glad you liked it!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up August 28, 2012 at 9:17 am

The timing of your post was so funny! Seriously, the day before you posted this I made this for dinner and at the last minute decided to roast the veggies! It was delicious with the roasted veggies! And what could make roasted garlic sauce taste even better? More garlic! Good call!

Dianna September 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I don’t eat cheese…so should I eliminate it and use the proportions as listed or add more broth, half and half and cornstarch? Using roasted veggies sounds really yummy for this recipe!

elly September 6, 2012 at 7:44 am

Dianna, I think you will be fine just omitting it. It does thicken it a bit, so you could add a little cornstarch if necessary.