Frittatas for Two

June 13, 2012 · 12 comments

in breakfast/brunch,goat cheese,italian,quick and easy

Tom and I agree on a lot of things, but one of those things is not brunch.

Tom loathes brunch. He actually doesn’t loathe brunch so much as he loathes the idea of brunch. He dislikes the crowds (most good brunch places by us always have a line) and, honestly, I think he just dislikes the word. We rarely go out to brunch, much to my dismay.

Recently, we went to a wedding out of town where I was able to force him into brunch the next day, since we didn’t have anything else to eat (though, truth be told, it was really more like breakfast because it turns out that even sans toddler, we wake up too damn early).

I ended up having a wood-fired frittata, which I really loved, and this is a take on that frittata. It has sausage, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, spinach, and goat cheese. All lovely things, really. I don’t make frittatas terribly often and when I do, I tend to stick with just one or two mix-ins. And I have no idea why. These are packed with great ingredients, and are pretty, too!

You can easily make a normal sized frittata out of this by doubling the recipe for a standard 10-12″ pan. If  you’re making it in a large 12″ cast iron skillet, you may want to triple the recipe so you don’t end up with a very thin frittata.

Cara June 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Frittatas are one of my favorite easy meals to make to use up whatever veggies are left in the fridge. Yours sound great, love those little pans!

Joanne June 14, 2012 at 5:43 am

I tend not to really have brunch also because, like you, i get up too damn early. And I’m WAY too hungry to wait until noon to eat anything. So basically, it’s either breakfast or lunch for me, even if it’s brunch food I’m eating. I love a good fritatta though and they’re really good any time of day! These sound great.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar June 14, 2012 at 6:05 am

Love this easy dish! It looks awesome!

Robyn June 14, 2012 at 9:58 am

brunch lines are the WORST. my trick is to look at the menus of all the awesome brunch places and then steal their creative ideas to replicate in my kitchen, like you just did here!

Sara {Home is Where the Cookies Are} June 15, 2012 at 7:05 am

These look delicious, and frittatas are one of the ONLY breakfast things I can convince my husband to eat for dinner – as long as it comes with salad and some crusty bread. Lovely!

Brianna June 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I want to buy some cute little cast iron pans just so I can make these for dinner! They look delicious. I’ll take brunch for dinner over brunch for brunch any day. Maybe it’s because I’d rather enjoy a frittata with a beer than an orange juice ;)

Ivy June 16, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Love all the ingredients in your frittatas and those little cast iron frying pans are gorgeous.

TastefullyJulie June 17, 2012 at 10:49 am

This frittata is all of my favorite things in one. I would gladly stay home and eat this!

Kerstin June 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Mmm, what yummy frittatas! Apolinaras is the same way when it comes to brunch, so I also savor going out when I can convince him or when I go with girlfriends :)

Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul June 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

Whilst I enjoy brunch I have to agree with Tom…the crowds are annoying! LOL! Frittata is probably the best and easiest meal you can whip up at home. Love the flavours and ingredients here Elly!

ErinsFoodFiles June 19, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I totally understand how your husband feels about brunch. My biggest issue is how “late” it starts. Here in Nashville most brunch places open when it’s legal to begin selling alcohol, which is like 10:30 or 11am. What in the hell are you supposed to do before then? I’m one of those people that wants to eat within an hour or so of waking up! I always want to ask what everyone else does before brunch. Do they eat something?! So we tend to frequent “breakfast” joints at 9am, as opposed to the hip brunch spots.

Anyways, this sounds delicious, and I actually have about half the ingredients on hand already, including the italian turkey sausage. I never think to put them in a breakfast dish!

{ 1 trackback }