Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole with Mushrooms

March 7, 2012 · 12 comments

in chicken/poultry,healthy,rice and grains

Mushrooms and hearty grains go together for me like peas and carrots. Except an earthy mushroom pilaf or something similar is way better than peas and carrots, of course.

The other day I got a craving for a homey, creamy casserole. And I really wanted wild rice. I sometimes get weird cravings.

This recipe is similar to ones you may have had from the Campbell’s site, but doesn’t use any processed ingredients. Instead of canned condensed soup, herbed chicken broth is thickened with a little flour, and milk is added in to make it a touch creamier. The mixture is combined with wild rice, brown rice, and chicken for a hearty meal. It tastes great, and you can feel good about eating it, too.

This dinner does take a bit of time to make, particularly since wild rice takes a while to cook. But, it’s definitely easy to pull together, and you can assemble it the night before you bake it. I did just that. If you’ve made soups and stews with rice and pasta before, you know they tend to absorb excess liquid in the fridge. So, the next day before baking, I poured about 1/4 cup of broth over the top of the casserole to combat any dryness. You don’t need to do this if you baking the casserole right after assembling it.

Claudie March 7, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Looks great and definitely sounds very tasty too! Glad you made sure there were no processed ingredients, because natural food is always so much better. While the wild rice might take a bit longer to cook, I think it’s worth it when you want to make such a “feel good” meal, and it’s a recipe I would certainly try!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul March 7, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Can I tell you how much I adore your comfort foods? Seriously delicious! I am so making this on the weekend!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up March 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Mmmm, I love chicken and rice casseroles, but not the processed kind. The delicious from scratch kind. And the wild rice sounds perfect!

Joanne March 8, 2012 at 5:33 am

I love the casserole feel of food and definitely crave it! Though I refuse to use any of those cream of soups anymore…homemade is WAY better!

Mushrooms Canada March 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

Agreed-Much better than Peas and Carrots! Great twist to a classic dish.

-Shannon

abbey March 13, 2012 at 2:07 am

looks delish! will try. I’ve tried making something similar but a bit softer- bordering gooey by adding water in batches so it never really completely runs dry =) check it out >>http://thebeeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/03/smoked-salmon-and-wild-mushroom-risotto.html

<3 the beeinthekitchen

Lia March 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

I want to let everyone know how much I enjoyed this recipe. I made a few substitutions (dried herbs, onion instead of leek) and had a trouble with my chicken sticking to the pan and forgot the milk, but it still turned out great :) Thanks, Elly!

elly March 26, 2012 at 11:45 am

Glad you liked it, Lia.

Suzanne May 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Just made this and it is wonderful! I have no cooking skills and I was still able to pull this together. I’m going to recommend this to my mother and sisters. So much better than a processed meal. Thanks! :)

elly May 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I’m so happy to hear you liked it!

Angie January 4, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Elly! This was awesome!!! And I cooked it all in my Le Creuset pot, so not too much cleanup for my hubby :) I even puréed some for my 9 month old and she loved it too! Thanks for a great recipe!

elly January 4, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I’m so glad you liked it, Angie!