Green Onion and Garlic Scape Chimichurri

June 28, 2011 · 11 comments

in dairy-free,healthy,quick and easy

Thanks to our CSA, I am up to my earlobes in green onions. I like green onions, but I have a hard time finding ways to use them, other than slicing them up and throwing them on top of various dishes. I originally thought of making a green onion pesto, but I didn’t really  have any cheese I deemed appropriate to add (and what’s pesto without good cheese?), plus something about it sounded odd on pasta. I started thinking it would be better as a complement to meat, rather than pasta, which is how I came up with the idea of chimichurri.

Tom told me I couldn’t call this chimichurri because it didn’t have parsley.  Of course, he is also the one who comes up with very fascinating, yet wholly unappealing names for dishes, like “enchilada brick” and “spaghetti frisbee.”  (You’d think with names like those he hates those particular dishes, but nope.) Now, I get that this doesn’t have parsley and perhaps it is blasphemous for me to call this chimichurri (I know there are people who get downright pissed about weird things, like calling a dip hummus when it doesn’t have tahini or something), but, really, what else could I call this? Green onion…sauce? Green onion…puree? No.  Neither of those sounded right.

Whatever you call it, we liked it a lot. I also used garlic scapes we received, which were great. They’re nice and mild, but of course a clove or two of standard garlic would work here, too. I didn’t want mine to be super runny, so I didn’t add a ton of oil, but that’s your call. We  had this on top of a pan-grilled pork chop and thought they paired really well together.

Green Onion and Garlic Scape Chimichurri

print Printer Friendly Recipe

1 large bunch green onions
2 garlic scapes
2 tsp. lime juice
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. aleppo chili powder
olive oil

Pulse everything but the olive oil in a food processor until well processed.  Slowly stream in the oil through the feed tube until it reaches your desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Blog is the New Black June 27, 2011 at 7:41 am

This looks fantastic!!! Yum!

danielle June 27, 2011 at 10:53 am

Looks delicious and a great way to top my grilled chicken since I’m trying to eat healthy! Plus my farmers market had TONS of garlic scapes this week! If I can’t find aleppo chili powder what would be a good sub?

elly June 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

Danielle, aleppo is super mild, so you could use a regular old chili powder or if you want some spice, you could use red pepper flakes.

danielle June 27, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thanks :)

Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul June 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Great thinking 99! I think your chimichurri rocks and is quite inventive! And call it whatever you like! LOL!

Reb June 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I made this tonight…it was fantastic! I loved it because it was unique and did NOT have parsley. Thank you so much–I was looking for a new scape recipe and I didn’t want to make pesto either!

elly June 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm

That was quick, Reb! I’m so happy that you liked it!

Joanne June 28, 2011 at 5:45 am

You have tons of green onions, I have tons of garlic scapes…between the two of us we could make a HUGE batch of this! I say call it whatever you want. It looks absolutely delicious!

Kelly June 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm

This looks fantastic! So glad I came across your blog and happy to be your newest follower :)

Pam June 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I have to say that the green blob in the photo struck me as a tad odd. But reading the details it seems to me that it would be wonderful either on meat or on pasta for that matter. I’m a big believer in anything with lots of garlic must be yummy!

Banana Wonder June 30, 2011 at 12:58 am

Tell ol Tom this is chimichurri all the way! I make up names for stuff too, like Corn Gazpacho. But, whatevs. I just got a whole bunch of garlic scapes at the farmers market and adding them to my daily greens. I also like the idea of green onion pesto. Green onions are usually taken for granted – they really have the capability of being the highlight to a dish.