Key Lime Pie Cupcakes

February 4, 2011 · 40 comments

in desserts/sweets

My dad is a very, very picky eater.  He’s most certainly a meat and potatoes sort of guy.  He won’t touch Chinese food, turns his nose up at most vegetables, and the idea of leftovers is a completely foreign concept to him.   Thankfully, I didn’t inherit this pickiness from him, but I did wind up with his adoration for lime-flavored anything.

Key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts, but finding key limes has never been very easy for me.  Fortunately, my friend Heather keeps coming across them, and gifting bags of them to me.  I’m now stockpiled with enough key lime juice in my freezer to make many a key lime pie treat!

I’ve had several key lime recipes booked for ages, many which come from Peabody.  I decided to ask her what her personal favorite key lime recipe from her blog was, and she directed me to this one.  Oh, sure, Peabody – pick the multi-step recipe. :) This was my first time making filled cupcakes and eventually they turned out well, but I did have a little trial and error, Goldilocks-style.  At first, I was overfilling them, making the filling ooze out of the top after I placed the cupcake top back on.  Then that worried me, so I underfilled them.  Finally I got it “just right,” though I did still have some leftover filling.  The leftover filling is a nice accompaniment with some leftover graham crackers, but I think next time I would use cream cheese rather than mascarpone.  Don’t get me wrong, I love mascarpone but it’s a bit pricey and since it didn’t all get eaten, I’d opt for the frugal-friendly cream cheese next time around.

A few other changes I made: I used sour cream instead of buttermilk in the cake recipe because that’s what I had around, and also added just a splash of vanilla in the buttercream recipe. I also “made” my own cake flour.

At any rate, these cupcakes are delicious.  I mean, they are key lime pie enveloped by cake.  You really can’t go wrong there. It’s too bad I couldn’t get some of these to my dad!

Claudie February 4, 2011 at 11:27 am

One word: beautiful.
That cupcake looks pretty and the inside of it tender — not try like some other cupcakes.

Lisa February 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm

These look fabulous – key lime is one of my favorites! It’s all just the thing to help bring some summer into this middle of winter.

Mary Moh February 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Beautiful cupcakes! I love everything with lime. This just looks SO-mouth-watering!

Amy's Cooking Adventures February 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

These look fantastic! Next time I need to bring dessert somewhere–this will be it!

Vanessa February 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm

You read my mind!! I was just thinking the other day how I could incorporate the two. Looks like you made it easy for me, can’t wait to try these!!

Created by Christi February 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Wow, these look amazing! I just made key lime pie last night, and now I’m kinda wishing I’d made it crustless and used it to fill cupcakes instead!

peabody February 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Glad you liked them! They look like they turned out great!

Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul February 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Oh my! I’m on a lime kick at the moment…how good do these look? Thank you for sharing Elly!

natalie February 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I love love love key lime pie. Have you ever had Key Lime Pie at Cheesecake factory? It will not disappoint you. Most key lime pies at restaurants don’t meet my high standards!

Peter February 4, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I could eat a whole box of these..the finish on the icing is a nice attention to detail!

Melissa Bakes February 4, 2011 at 9:07 pm

These look awesome! I can’t wait to make them!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen February 4, 2011 at 9:43 pm

They look so lovely!

Kerstin February 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm

So pretty – they look fabulous, Peabody always has the best treats :) I’ve never filled cupcakes before either – gotta add that to my list!

Banana Wonder February 5, 2011 at 1:17 am

Yum! Oh you even filled these. What delicious mouth watering cupcakes these must have been. I love lime in desserts!

Joanne February 5, 2011 at 6:50 am

My parents are crazy picky eaters also. Especially my father. He hates all spices, citrus, beans, most vegetables (unless they’re covered in cheese)…and really the list goes on. Sometimes I wonder whether or not we’re related. But i have his eyes. So there goes that theory.

I am a big lime/lemon lover myself and these cupcakes are adorable! I need to get a friend with a knack for finding key limes…pronto.

Jessica February 7, 2011 at 12:57 am

These are soo cute Elly! I have not made cupcakes in a while and now I don’t know how much longer I can hold out!

tobias cooks! February 8, 2011 at 3:23 am

I love the photos, Elly. Great shots.

Katie February 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

These sound/look absolutely amazing! I absolutely adore key lime pie, but I always feel the need to purchase one from a local bakery (to be fair, they are pretty legendary)…but I think I should give this recipe a try…I would love to be able to create some key lime goodness myself – mmmmm!!!

Sarah February 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I have a hard time finding fresh key limes too. Do you think key lime concentrate would work as a substitute for the fresh juice? These look amazing.

elly February 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Hi Sarah. I would use juice from regular limes if you can. I find bottled lemon/lime juices tend to be a bit too acidic.

Sam September 26, 2011 at 10:53 am

They sell Key Lime Juice at Spec’s.

Virginia September 12, 2011 at 10:32 am

I made these the for a party the night of hurricane Irene. I was thinking the entire day that they were going to cancel the party, so I left out making them with the graham cracker crust, I didn’t want to get stuck with 2 dozen cupcakes, if I didn’t know how they would freeze…anyway the party wasn’t cancelled and the cupcakes were such a hit.
They looked gorgeous and tasted soooooo good.
Such a great, easy recipe, and the icing was a snap to make and it was compeletly balanced between the sweet and the sour.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, it’s a keeper!

Amy January 29, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Hi, it’s Lish’s niece, Amy. The only thing she wanted for her birthday this year was Elly’s amazing key lime cupcakes! Well, I don’t know if they’re as good as yours that I’ve been hearing about for so long but she seems happy. Thanks for this recipe and making Lish’s birthday a success!

elly January 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Amy, I’m so glad you made them and she had a happy birthday!

Amanda February 14, 2012 at 10:27 am

Thanks so much for the recipe! I made these for the hubby last night for valentines day, and he loved them. I brought the extras into work they are a hit! Tastes just like key lime pie….even better!!! :-)

elly February 14, 2012 at 10:39 am

So happy everyone enjoyed them, Amanda!

Hannah March 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm

These cupcakes are delicious. I was wondering can I make this batter,frosting and filling a day or two before I bake the cupcakes or will it not taste as fresh? Thanks

elly March 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Hi Hannah. Glad you liked the cupcakes. You can definitely make the filling and frosting a day in advance and refrigerate. You’ll probably need to leave the frosting at room temp for a little bit before icing the cupcakes. As for the batter, I’m not sure. I’ve never done it personally, but it seems like it would be fine. I’d probably just go ahead and bake them the day before. I think cupcakes made the day before are just fine.

Meagan April 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

I made this recipe for a baby shower and it was a big hit!!! I’m gluten free so I substituted All purpose rice flour for the cake flour and the cupcakes came out amazing.
Thank you for sharing!

elly April 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

Glad you liked them, Meagan, and good to hear they can be made GF!

Alissa May 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I love to spend Sunday afternoons baking yummy treats to bring in to my coworkers on Mondays. I made these delicious cupcakes yesterday and have received nothing but rave reviews! Thank you for sharing, I will be making these again and again.

elly May 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

I’m so glad everyone liked them, Alissa!

Erica Gunderson September 11, 2012 at 11:51 am

These are amazing!! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us!!

elly September 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed them!

Marguerite March 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Have you made this as a cake and if so how was it?

elly March 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I have not made this as a cake, but I’m sure it would be great.

Mari Hendrix May 8, 2013 at 10:49 pm

These are so delicious!! Thanks for sharing. I plan on making these over and over. My family and friends thought they were fantastic-I did too!

elly May 9, 2013 at 6:54 am