Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

November 23, 2010 · 16 comments

in breads and muffins,breakfast/brunch,pumpkin

These pumpkin cream cheese muffins are delicious.   They’re like eating pumpkin cake with built-in cream cheese frosting, but since they’re called “muffins”  you’re allowed to eat them for breakfast.   These muffins are a copycat version of the ones Starbucks carries.  I’ll be honest and say that I’ve never had a pumpkin cream cheese muffin from Starbucks, but I feel pretty confident that these would surpass them in my book.  Here’s why: sweetened cream cheese.

I’m weird when it comes to cream cheese.  Cream cheese is great.  It is, in fact, one of the greatest foods.  However, plain cream cheese must be paired with savory food and sweetened cream cheese must be paired with sweeter items.  There’s no getting around this.  If you don’t believe me, ask my poor husband who came home with a cinnamon raisin bagel with plain cream cheese for me one day.  A no go. In order for cream cheese to be on a bagel, it must be a savory bagel (think sesame, everything, or onion).

This is largely why I’ve avoided this particular Starbucks muffin.  But then I saw Annie’s version, where she sweetened the cream cheese (smart girl, that Annie), and all was right in the world.  I also added a little vanilla to make it even more cream cheese frosting-y.

This made more than 24 muffins for me.  I had enough batter for an extra 5 muffins, but I had already doled out the cream cheese, so I just baked those on their own.  I ended up giving some away and also freezing some of these for fear I would eat 5 per day until they disappeared.  I altered the recipe slightly to accommodate for two things I don’t stock in my kitchen – vegetable oil and pumpkin pie spice.  If you have pumpkin pie spice, you can go back to the original version for the amount.

Juliana November 23, 2010 at 2:46 pm

What a nice surprise in the muffins…love the combination of cream cheese and pumpkin. Nice pictures as well Elly :-)

tcmaryf November 23, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I do like the sound of these. The cake is dark and rich with spices and I like my pumpkin spicy. Thnx for sharing.

Rosemary@Sprigs of Rosemary November 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Now I know what I’m making for my husband and me Thanksgiving morning. But what shall I do with the rest?

vanillasugar November 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

good charlotte. that middle filling is kind of calling me. wow.

Amy's Cooking Adventures November 23, 2010 at 5:24 pm

These look fantastic. Frosting in the middle for breakfast? Count me in!

Annie November 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm

So glad you enjoyed these! I also use pretty much only canola oil.

Banana Wonder November 24, 2010 at 1:16 am

What?! You haven’t had the Starbucks versions yet? I live for them and eggnog lattes every Holiday season, it’s kind of pathetic. I’ve been just adding eggnog to my coffee everyday instead of creamer. Back to these muffins, wow, I am going to have to make these, and probably painfully give them away or else I’d be eating 5 a day as well.

Joanne November 24, 2010 at 5:28 am

I love pumpkin muffins as is by sheer virtue of their glorious pumpkin flavor. But that filling? That could move mountains. I’m sure of it.

nina November 24, 2010 at 6:14 am

Yikes, this looks so deliciously fragrant!!!

kristineskitchen November 24, 2010 at 8:56 am

These are going on my to-bake list! They look wonderful!

Maria November 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Oooh, those look GOOD! I love the bit of frosting on the inside instead of outside … ever since I started baking cupcakes for the kiddies’ birthdays, for other relatives’ birthdays and friends’ birthdays I have gotten quite sick of thick frosting coating the top of cupcakes!! Might sound nuts, but its the truth: I make the stuff all the time but never even eat it!!

These on the other hand sound amazing to me and just to see the delicate bit of frosting there in the center makes them all the better!

bellini November 25, 2010 at 8:55 am

With the cream chgeese frosting on the inside these would make perfect little handpies when you are on the go.

betty November 25, 2010 at 7:39 pm

these look wonderful thanks for sharing :O)

tobias cooks! November 28, 2010 at 4:22 am

I love that they have a filling!

mojamediteranskakuhinja November 28, 2010 at 4:58 pm

It looks great!
I never tried / prepared anything with pumpkin. Probably I should start with something like this.
award is waiting for you on my blog :)

Kerstin December 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm

The second picture is making my mouth water – I love that (sweetened!) filling :)