Baked Poblano-Tomatillo Brown Rice

June 4, 2010 · 8 comments

in healthy,mexican/tex-mex,rice and grains

Tom did some grilling recently (from Rick Bayless’s cookbook – shocking, I know!) and for one of those meals, I made the arbol chile salsa as an accompaniment to some pork tenderloin.  I ended up having extra tomatillos and wasn’t sure how to use them, but eventually settled on rice.  Originally, I was going to do something similar to a Spanish rice with chunks of tomatillos, but decided to sear and puree them, much like the salsa calls for, and use that puree as part of the cooking liquid.

I adore poblanos in general, but I really love them with tomatillos.  Tomatillos are sweet and sort of tart, and I like how the earthy and just a teeny bit spicy poblano balances those flavors. Add that and some of your standard pilaf ingredients like garlic, onions, and chicken broth, and you’ve got a Mexican twist on your boring brown rice side.  This is really tasty and healthy, too!

I took a picture of the brown rice in the baking dish but it didn’t look very appetizing, so the one on the plate will have to do. :)

bellini valli June 4, 2010 at 11:22 am

This rice sounds like an excellent accompaniment. A little heat packs a lot of flavour Elly!!

Josie June 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

Oh Yum! I love poblanos and tomatillos together too – I’m definitely making this next time we grill Mexican food!

my little expat kitchen June 5, 2010 at 4:38 am

I’m a rice freak. Ever since I was little I adored rice so this dish is right up my alley.
What can I use though instead of poblano pepper? I don’t think I can find it in Holland.
Magda

elly June 5, 2010 at 9:16 am

Hi Magda. I’m not sure what peppers are easy to find in Holland. The poblano is pretty mild, as far as peppers go. Spicier than a bell pepper, but nowhere near a jalapeno. If you have something called pasilla peppers, that would work, or you could just do a combo of bell and maybe half a jalapeno or serano. You could also do a different green chile like anaheim.

nina June 5, 2010 at 6:39 am

Love baked rice……have never tried it with these ingredients though,,,so the hunt begins for them…This meal is certainly packed with flavor!!

Kerstin June 6, 2010 at 9:27 am

What a yummy side dish – the peppers sound perfect in it!

Peter June 7, 2010 at 9:55 am

Poblanos are a delight to eat, love the touch of heat and likely delish in this rice dish.

ash June 8, 2010 at 11:20 am

this looks absolutely delicious!