Greek Orzo Frittata

May 24, 2010 · 12 comments

in breakfast/brunch,chicken/poultry,greek,healthy,pasta

Many people only think of eating frittatas for breakfast or brunch, but they can definitely work for dinner, too.  Personally, if I am eating a frittata for dinner, I do prefer it to have a little more bulk, by way of an additional protein or grain.  This one has both.  It’s a similar concept to the “spaghetti frisbee” (but more eggy) and the wild rice frittata (but, you know, without rice).

I chose chicken breast as the additional protein because I had 1 breast in the fridge.  Really any kind of meat you want to use in this would work, as would no meat at all. An Italian chicken sausage or sundried tomato sausage would be great, and lamb would make this even more Greek!

I used my cast iron pan for this, and it was the perfect vessel, as it often is. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, I would recommend either baking the frittata at 350 in a nonstick pan (unless you have a nonstick pan that can go under the broiler), or else add a little more fat to the pain for a stainless pan, which can go under the broiler.

Greek Orzo Frittata

print Printer Friendly Recipe

1 cup orzo
6-8 oz. cooked, shredded chicken (I poached mine and seasoned it with some salt, pepper, and oregano)
1 Tbsp. butter.
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
8 eggs
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup seeded & diced tomatoes
3 oz. crumbled feta cheese, divided

Cook the orzo in boiling, salted water until al dente. Set aside to cool slightly (I usually leave just a little pasta water with it so it doesn’t stick together or, this is one time where rinsing the pasta would be fine).

Whisk the eggs together with the Greek yogurt.  Then, add in the cooked pasta, cooked chicken, parsley, tomatoes, 2 oz. of the feta cheese. Set aside.

Preheat the broiler.

Heat a broiler-proof pan over medium heat and melt the butter.  Stir in the garlic until fragrant and then add the spinach until wilted.

Pour the egg mixture over the spinach and cook until the sides and outer edges of the frittata have started to set.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the frittata, and place the pan under the broiler.  Broil until the frittata has set and eggs are cooked through, and the top has browned.

Peter May 24, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Elly, this is very creative, lots of Greek elements and I especially like the yogurt in here…you know the chicken will stay moist here!

Joan Nova May 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I echo Peter’s comments. He got here first but it was basically what I was thinking. Looks really good.

Banana Wonder May 24, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I second the frittata dinner choice! You make we really want to get a cast iron pan, badly.

bellini valli May 25, 2010 at 9:43 am

I covet my cast iron skillet. I love the use of the orzo here Elly and of course the Greek flavours are always win my heart.

TRaveler May 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I love your Frittata recipe and as you say I would certainly eat it for dinner too. Thnks for sharing.

Maria May 25, 2010 at 4:36 pm

That’s a great play on the frittata. Definitely a more substantial and filling version perfect for a light dinner.

susan from food blogga May 26, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I love spaghetti frittatas, but orzo in one is new to me. I always have orzo in the cupboard, and now you’ve given me a fun and delicious way to use it.

tobias cooks! May 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm

what a nice shot. looks delicious!

Catherine May 29, 2010 at 7:20 am

I have never made a frittata before, but have always wanted to. I am mostly concerned about which pans I can put in my oven. How long do you put the pan under the broiler for approximately? Thanks.

elly May 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Hi Catherine. It will depend a little on how big your pan is/how thick the frittata is as well as how close to the broiling element you are (I would recommend you be about 6″ away from it). I would say it should take about 4 minutes to set and brown on top.

Erin May 31, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I love the idea of bulking up the frittata with orzo & chicken! Sounds like a great idea for converting this into a dinner worthy meal.

Rosemary June 2, 2010 at 5:55 am

I love frittatas anytime, too. They’re so adaptable. Your idea of using Greek yogurt is a great one. Thanks, Elly.