Green Beans with Bacon and Shallots

February 25, 2010 · 16 comments

in vegetables

I’m a firm believer that a lot of people who claim not to like vegetables just haven’t had them prepared in a good way.  Well, not necessarily in a good way, since that’s all subjective, but in a way that the is pleasing to that person’s palate.  Many people steam their vegetables, and that’s really great if you like them that way because it’s healthy and easy.  But me? No way. I am not a steamed veggie kinda gal. I mean sure, steaming some spinach before tossing it with pasta is ok, but just to have a side of steamed peas or something? Nuh uh. I need some flavor, some texture, some…well, fat, usually.  My favorite way to prepare vegetables is by roasting.  This is just as easy as steaming and the results are amazing.  Toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast anything from brussels sprouts to zucchini to green beans to asparagus.

But, every once in a while, I want something a little different and maybe a little more indulgent without being TOO over the top bad for you.  These are green veggies, of course—just like I’m not one for steaming, I’m not really one for coating them in cheese sauce, either. As good as that may be. :-)

While I love roasting green beans, I also really enjoy them blanched and then tossed with a little oil or butter, usually some garlic, and occasionally some walnuts or pine nuts.  Blanching gets green beans just tender enough while retaining that gorgeous bright green color.  You’ll never get that color with frozen or canned green beans.  Add a little bacon to blanched green beans and really, what could go wrong?

Pam February 25, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Oh, that looks so good! I love roasted vegetables and make them a lot. I’ve done the green beans many times with shallots and garlic but , I have never added the bacon but. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that! Thanks!

Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul February 25, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I’ve never thought of roasting green beans…but the way you have prepped them here looks amazing! You can always rely on bacon for that extra bit f yumminess!

nina February 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm

For the younger green beans, blanching is the best, the older ones I will roast. Adding garlic just works beautifully!!!

katie February 26, 2010 at 9:36 am

Love this dish. I don’t often roast green beans, but it’s such a great idea with these flavors!

ash February 26, 2010 at 11:11 am

yum! i love making green beans like this although adding the bacon is usually a special treat… bacon & green beans are so good together though!!

thelushers February 26, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I just posted about roasted green beans today too! I like your thinking…must be why I love reading your blog! I am not a steamed veggie kind of girl either & have been roasting everything I can get my hands on lately.

Emily February 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I made a similar recipe (from Barefoot Contessa) but minus the bacon. We served it to some of our friends. I remember our friend questioning her husband because he normally doesn’t eat vegetables. And his response was: “you’ve never made them like this before!” So your theory is definitely correct in my experience!

Colleen February 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I am always looking for a way to make green beans more interesting – I can’t believe I never thought of bacon!

bellini valli February 26, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I find that roasting my veggies just takes them up a notch:D

Mary Ellen February 27, 2010 at 7:23 am

I make this exact recipe and it has become a staple at holiday dinners. Good, isn’t it?

elly February 27, 2010 at 8:46 am

I actually made it for Thanksgiving this year, but I was rushed and totally left out the shallots, lol. It’s a good entertaining dish!

Kerstin February 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I completely agree – it’s totally worth taking the extra time to make veggies more tasty! And bacon with green beans sounds perfect!

Ivy March 1, 2010 at 12:08 am

Yummy. I made the same with spinach and it’s amazing what flavour all the greens get from the bacon.

Maria March 1, 2010 at 6:57 pm

These green beans sound like a really great side dish. Love the shallots and bacon … who doesn’t love bacon?!

Donna November 19, 2010 at 9:47 am

I was wondering if I could make thisGreen beans, bacon, and shallots) a day ahead and reheat in a crockpot for a potluck on Thanksgiving?

elly November 19, 2010 at 9:58 am

Hi Donna. I would think that would work just fine! You may want to add just a little bit of water or broth to the crockpot and try not to reheat them for TOO long or they will lose their vibrant green and start getting a little mushy.