Pan-Seared Shrimp with Ginger-Hoisin Glaze

September 9, 2009 · 12 comments

in asian,healthy,quick and easy,seafood

Like every other possible spot where I can save recipes, I have a bunch bookmarked on the Cook’s Illustrated website.  I decided to make this one not too long ago because I was craving Asian flavors…and because it was ridiculously simple and made largely with pantry ingredients. Plus, even though I like shrimp, I tend to get in a funk with it—I always end up using it primarily in things like pasta and risotto. This was a nice change of pace.

I decided to keep the amount of sauce the same, even though I used half the amount of shrimp, so we’d have a little to spoon over the rice. (The rice, by the way, was just stir fried with some baby bok choy and a little bit of soy sauce.) I also used a little less canola oil in place of vegetable (since I don’t even bother keeping that around) and doubled the crushed red pepper. Oh, and I unintentionally left the scallions off before taking the picture.  Oops!

This was a flavorful, easy-to-make dish.  The most time consuming part was the brown rice (and leftover rice would work well here, especially if you are going to do a quick faux fried rice like I did). The shrimp was prepped and cooked in under 10 minutes. I’d definitely recommend this dish, and will be making it again!

Pan-Seared Shrimp with Ginger-Hoisin Glaze

Serves 2
adapted from Cook’s Illustrated

2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1.5 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 tsp. water
2 scallions, sliced thin

1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
3/4 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. sugar

Stir together hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, water, and scallions in small bowl. Set aside

Heat oil in 12-inch skillet with a lid over high heat until smoking. Meanwhile, toss shrimp, salt, red pepper flakes, and sugar in medium bowl. Add  shrimp to pan in single layer and cook until spotty brown and edges turn pink, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; using tongs, flip each shrimp and let stand until all but very center is opaque, about 30 seconds.

Add the hoisin mixture and toss to combine. Cover skillet and let stand until shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 205 / Fat: 4.1g / Saturated Fat: 0.3g / Carbs; 11.6g / Fiber: 0.9g / Protein: 14.4g

Colleen September 9, 2009 at 11:04 am

Beautiful flavors going on here – looks delicious!

Molly Jean September 9, 2009 at 11:18 am

Sounds really tasty. And it will help me use up the rest of this hoisin sauce I have at home.

Juliana September 9, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Nice shrimp dish, I love hoisin sauce…always give the dish an extra flavor…yummie!

patsyk September 9, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Looks gorgeous – and I know it wouldn’t last long on my dinner table!

themilkmanswife September 9, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Mmmm. I was just trying to think of what I could make with shrimp for tomorrow! This looks delicious. :)

Joelen September 10, 2009 at 5:51 pm

How could I have missed this recipe?! This looks fantastic and I love the contrast of colors from the brown rice, the greens and the perfectly pink shrimp. I really like that the glaze isn’t heavy either, unlike the usual Chinese fast food versions. Delicious pic and I’m sure the same goes for the recipe too!

Erin September 10, 2009 at 6:02 pm

This looks so good! I haven’t had shrimp in way too long!

justcooknyc September 10, 2009 at 7:05 pm

this sounds great, and it can’t get much easier…

Kerstin September 13, 2009 at 12:44 am

What a flavorful and easy dish – it looks very tasty! I go through phases with shrimp and definitely need to get some more from Costco!

hank wisoff August 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Took this recipe out of Cooks mag. It was a little different and out of this world. I am having 30 people for lunch.!!! and I have 4 lbs of shrimp ready to go. this recipe looks and sounds great. Will have to make in several batches. My only Q is how many shrimp does this recipe call for??? I am guessing 20 to 25. Let me know. Thank. I will let you know how it turns out.

elly August 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Hank, it really depends on what size shrimp you get. I tend to get the ones that are about 25 to a lb.

{ 1 trackback }