Shrimp Risotto with Goat Cheese, Asparagus and Lemon

July 10, 2009 · 18 comments

in goat cheese,rice and grains,seafood

We’re pretty much at the end of asparagus season now and I wanted to make at least one more thing with the gorgeous spears I found. I made this risotto a week or two ago (why yes, I am behind on my blogging…), and it was the perfect way to use up the last bit of my goat cheese and a lemon that had been sitting on my counter with no clear use in mind.

Plus, every time I make anything with shrimp, Tom always says, “mmmm, I love shrimp.” It could be stir-fried in Windex and  I’m pretty sure he’d still proclaim, “mmmm, I love shrimp.”

I suppose I am suffering a bit of writer’s block here, but really, sometimes there is not much else to say about food. Here are the basics: the risotto was really delicious, easy to make, and used fresh, seasonal ingredients.  I will say this again and again (and again. and again): you don’t need to be complicated; you just need to  use good stuff.  There is some stirring/watching over the pot involved, of course, so you may not want to make this on a really hot day, but otherwise it’s a great spring or summer risotto.

Oh wait, here’s something –  if anyone has any tips for minimizing reflection in white plates, let’s hear ‘em. I try not to keep the plates in a direct light source, and it happens with both artificial and natural light. These low bowls are particular nemeses of the non-reflective photo.

Shrimp Risotto with Goat Cheese, Asparagus and Lemon

Serves 2 (but you will probably want a side or an appetizer)
print Printer Friendly Recipe

4-6 asparagus stalks, tough parts removed and the rest cut into 1-2″ pieces
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup diced onion or 1 large shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup vermouth or dry white wine
2-3 cups chicken, shrimp or vegetable broth, kept warm on the stove
2/3 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 oz. goat cheese

Heat a pot of water to a boil, and then drop in the asparagus pieces. Boil for approximately 3 minutes before draining and adding the asparagus to ice cold water to shock it. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the butter in a heavy saucepan/skillet.  Add the onion or shallot and cook until translucent. Stir in the garlic until just fragrant and then add the rice. Stir the rice around for a couple minutes in order to “toast” it.

Add the vermouth/wine. Cook until it’s almost completely evaporated, and then add 1-2 ladels of the broth. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the broth has been absorbed, and then add another 1-2 ladels.  Keep stirring. Just before your rice is cooked al dente, add the shrimp and the lemon juice. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through and the rice is al dente (tender but with a firm bite in the center). Your risotto should be a bit loose – that is, ALL of the liquid should NOT be absorbed like regular rice.

Off the heat, stir in the lemon zest and goat cheese. Stir to combine and season to taste. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 389 / Fat: 10.4g / Saturated Fat: 6.9g / Carbs: 46g / Protein: 26.5g

Joan Nova July 10, 2009 at 7:50 am

This dish speaks to me of Spring too. Your list of ingredients deepens the flavor with the garlic, broth and vermouth, enriches it with the goat cheese and then lightens it up with the lemon juice and zest. Very nicely done. And I’m sure it tasted better than Windex.

maria July 10, 2009 at 8:25 am

Mmmmm … I love shrimp! Seriously, though, I do love shrimp and risotto and my favorite risotto has always been a shrimp and fennel risotto I had once. This looks great with the asparagus and I love one pot dishes like a risotto–it migh tneed a little more attention and stirring time, but at least it’s one simple pot.

I find the white plates to be reflective too, but they look generally nicer so I guess we gotta put up with it!

nina July 10, 2009 at 8:33 am

Why am I tortured like this. I LOVE goat’s cheese and I could eat risotto everyday!!! Good combo!!!

kanella July 10, 2009 at 9:05 am

Sometimes pictures speak for themselves. Reflection or not the dish looks great!

Lindsey July 10, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Of course I love all of the flavors in this! Looks delicious :)

Kerstin July 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Yay for goat cheese in risotto :) So perfect with asparagus and shrimp – yum!

Singing Horse July 10, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Elly, your food has certainly been looking better and better.

Erin July 10, 2009 at 7:49 pm

This looks delicious! I love risotto, but wished my husband liked it more so I could make it more often!

Ivy July 11, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I love shrimp risotto but with asparagus it’s even better. We can’t find asparagus in Greece as often as we would like as 99% of production is exported.

Cate July 12, 2009 at 1:30 am

If only asparagus grew here and didn’t cost an arm and a leg. This whole trying to eat locally thing is cramping my style (but I’m happy to do it)
I totally know what you mean about getting writers block… I feel like I should say something, but sometimes, there really isn’t anything to say!

Susan from Food Blogga July 13, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Isn’t the end of asparagus season sad? Like you, I made as many dishes as possible and thought I had my fill. That is, until I saw this risotto. Thanks a lot, Elly! ;)

elra July 13, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Wow Elly, what a delicious risotto you have here. Drool worthy!

maris July 15, 2009 at 6:42 am

Risotto with goat cheese sounds like such a treat. I love goat cheese because it adds such a creamy flavor with so much less fat than real cream!

Peter July 15, 2009 at 8:36 am

Part of my love of risotto and sipping on the wine in the dish while stirring the stock. A creamy, comforting dish.

Erin July 27, 2009 at 10:31 am

Simple, seasonal, delish! I agree with Tom, I love shrimp pretty much any way. Although windex might be stretching it ;)

David Milton Greer August 13, 2009 at 11:17 pm

elly,

i’m a real foodie and also a digital photography hobbyist (admittedly, i photograph more water lilies than anything else, but i have a similar problem because of the reflection of light on the water).

PLAY WITH BOTH SHUTTER SPEED AND FILM SPEED. the problem you’re having is the camera is trying to compensate for light and shade and it doesn’t know what to do.

LOVE this recipe, btw! can’t wait to make it!

elly August 14, 2009 at 6:56 am

Thanks for the tip, David! I really do need to sit down with my camera one of these days and actually read about it. I admit I’ve just been pointing and shooting without much else. :)

David Milton Greer August 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm

my pleasure, elly! food and cameras seem to be a common thread with a lot of us. can’t wait to start making some of your recipes.