Raspberry Buttermilk Cake

June 23, 2009 · 31 comments

in desserts/sweets

Q: How is a carton of buttermilk similar to Mary Poppins’ carpet bag?

A: The stuff inside never seems to run out.

Ba-ZING. I know, I’m hilarious. So, this is yet another recipe that came from the lefover buttermilk used in Tom’s German chocolate cake. I swear, I didn’t buy a gallon, but it’s like an endless supply or something.

Anyway, I’ve now seen this recipe on quite a few blogs, but it first caught my eye when Deb over at Smitten Kitchen made it. I’m a sucker for berries—raspberries, especially—and the simplicity of the cake really won me over.

I really enjoyed this. It was an unfussy, simple, tasty dessert (that could no doubt have its place at a breakfast or brunch table, too). The sugar on top gave a subtle contrast in texture, and the buttermilk made this super fluffy and moist. And honestly, this cake isn’t really that bad for  you! It’s under 200 calories a slice which means you can eat at least three slices before you start to feel guilty.

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake

Slightly adapted from Gourmet

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 stick of unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup plus 1.5 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup well-shaken lowfat buttermilk
1 cup fresh raspberries (about 5 oz.)

Preheat the oven to 400, with a rack in the middle. Butter and flour a 9″ cake pan (I used a springform pan – I no longer mess around with trying to get cakes out of pans).

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Beat together the butter and 2/3 cup sugar at medium-high until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, and then egg.

At low speed, mix in flour in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, until just combined.

Spoon batter into a cake pan, and smooth the top.  Scatter raspberries on top, and sprinkle remaining 1.5Tbsp. sugar.

Bake until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Cool in the pan 10 minutes and then turn onto a rack and cool to warm, 10-15 minutes.

Nutritional Information for 1/8 of the cake: Calories: 196 / Fat: 6.7g / Saturated Fat: 3.9g / Carbs: 31.5 / Fiber: 1.5g / Protein: 3.1g

Molly Jean June 23, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Oh my. That looks beautiful AND delicious.

And I agree with buttermilk never running out! Thank you for posting a recipe that I can make when I need to use up the rest of a carton.

Maria June 23, 2009 at 9:28 pm

That looks and sounds like a delightful cake. Love the (never-ending) buttermilk in it and the tart raspberries. Delicious!

Kerstin - Cake, Batter, and Bowl June 23, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Haha – I liked your joke :) It’s SO true!

The fresh raspberries on top are so pretty.

Cate June 23, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I ALWAYS had buttermilk that went bad, so now I just fake it with 2% milk and a little vinegar…let stand for 5 minutes… and you’ll never have any left over!
This cake is beautiful!

Meghan June 24, 2009 at 6:59 am

I never finish a carton of buttermilk, and it drives me nuts! I keep trying to find recipes that call for buttermilk to have on hand when I have extra. This cake looks delicious. I think we’re going berry picking soon, and this will be a great recipe for fresh raspberries!

kanella June 24, 2009 at 7:12 am

Elly, this looks so light and perfect for a hot day. Just top it with a scoop of ice cream.

Niki June 24, 2009 at 7:13 am

This has definitely been one cake that has made it’s way around the blog circuit recently…. And it wasn’t even a TWD or DB recipe!!! I thought this cake was fantastic myself. I loved the taste and you’re right, perfectly fluffy and moist. I didn’t want to share it with my parents!!! :)
And I agree w/ Cate, I always end up buying buttermilk that would never get completely used up, so I used milk and lemon juice now. So much easier since I always have both around!!!

Bellini Valli June 24, 2009 at 8:42 am

I am smitten with this. I did see some raspberries tat the market Elly:D

Bellini Valli June 24, 2009 at 8:42 am

I am smitten with this. I did see some raspberries tat the market Elly:D

Joelen June 24, 2009 at 9:20 am

What a great looking cake and a tasty way to use up buttermilk!

Esi June 24, 2009 at 9:46 am

I made it with strawberries and loved it. Looks great!

Melissa June 24, 2009 at 11:47 am

When we were travelling recently we stopped in a little cafe and shared a fabulous piece of raspberry buttermilk cake. I had completely forgotten about it until now! I am going to book mark this recipe for next time I have buttermilk to use up, looks delicious!

Lindsey June 24, 2009 at 12:14 pm

This looks delicious Elly! So light and perfect for summer with all the berries coming into season.

Lindsey June 24, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Kellybee June 24, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I can’t wait to try this! It’s so pretty! I think I’m going to try it as a cupcake and bring them to the office tomorrow. I’ll let you know what people think!

elly June 24, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I was just thinking this morning that these would make a cute muffin/cupake. Hope your coworkers enjoy them!

Ivy June 24, 2009 at 2:18 pm

It looks beautiful. Pity there are no raspberries or buttermilk in Greece although I think Greek Yoghurt would be a great substitute.

Molly Jean June 24, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Oh, and come swing by my blog to pick up your award :)

Katie June 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I LOVE raspberries. This looks so delicious and that picture is great!

oneshotbeyond June 24, 2009 at 6:12 pm

wow…so pretty and easy sounding!

oneshotbeyond June 24, 2009 at 6:12 pm

wow…so pretty and easy sounding!

peachkins June 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm

This looks perfect! We really don’t have any raspberries here but I bet this taste great!

Jaime June 24, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I adore fruit anything. This looks fabulous

yasmeen June 25, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I usually make buttermilk with the yogurt I buy,the low cal cake looks gorgeous with berries.And that german cake looks fabulous!

tobias cooks! June 25, 2009 at 3:48 pm

bravo elly. ploly omorpho.

Juliana June 25, 2009 at 5:24 pm

WOW, this raspberry cake not only look so pretty but very yummie as well. I will definitely try this recipe…now that raspberries are in season…yummie. Great picture!

Cynthia Nelson June 25, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Hi Elly, I’ve just been reading through your past few posts and you’ve made me insanely hungry. Always! :)

Cynthia Nelson June 25, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Colleen June 29, 2009 at 2:23 pm

This looks fabulous! And I agree about the buttermilk – it goes on forever! I actually keep using it several weeks past the due date since it’s sour anyway!

Jenn July 5, 2010 at 1:02 am

I love your blog!!! I made your balsamic chicken w/ kale the other night and it was SUPER yummy! So I got to looking at all your other amazing recipes -and not long after I was drooling over this one, a friend called to say they had a lot of extra blackberries and I should come get some…it was fate. It looked too good to make just one, so I doubled the recipe and made 2 cakes. Then I decided it might be good with a whip cream/cream cheese frosting (I never made one before, but it was delicious) in the middle and make it a layer cake. I decorated the tall white frosted cake with more blackberries – it looked as good as it tasted. I can’t wait to make more of your recipes! Thanks!! OH – and it’s so great to know I’m not the only one who often wastes buttermilk (not anymore!).

elly July 5, 2010 at 6:55 am

Yum, Jen, the layered cake sounds delicious! Glad you’ve been finding stuff to make in my blog!