Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Marsala-Goat Cheese Sauce

June 1, 2009 · 22 comments

in goat cheese,healthy,pork,quick and easy

Pretty much every week my husband and I have the following conversation:

Me: I’m trying to plan some meals for the week.  Is there anything you’d like to eat, or do you have any suggestions?

Tom: Nothing special.

Me: You have no suggestions?

Tom: How about chicken marsala?

Me: <groaning>

Every time with the marsala!

As you’d imagine, I try to always have a bottle of marsala around. The nice thing about marsala (besides that it tastes great in so many dishes) is that it’s a fortified wine, so it lasts longer than a regular bottle of red or white. You don’t have to worry about using it all in a couple days, so it can just sit around and you’ll always have something to make pan sauces with. I use this same line of reasoning for vermouth. Of course, when we moved I realized I had somehow accumulated 3 bottles of vermouth. I guess I never remember when we run out, so I’m always buying more?

This meal should not be at all surprising to anyone who reads my blog. You know I love herbes de Provence. You clearly know that I love goat cheese, and you know that pretty much the only meal my husband ever suggests is chicken marsala (with an occasional lasagna or manestra thrown in for good measure).  I always have pork tenderloin in the freezer because it’s a nice, lean meat that’s a change of pace from ye old chicken breast.

Pork medallions are so easy to make and since they are so thin, they cook up incredibly quickly. This meal looks like it takes way more time and effort than it actually does, and plates nicely.  Oh, and it’s got marsala, goat cheese, mushrooms and herbes de Provence in it. Sooooo that means it’s quite tasty!

And the bonus? It’s healthy, to boot.

Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Marsala-Goat Cheese Sauce

Serves 4
print Printer Friendly Recipe

1 pork tenderloin (about 1-1.25 lbs.)
herbes de Provence
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup marsala wine
2 oz.  goat cheese, softened and cut/crumbled in a few pieces

Cut the pork tenderloin into 12-16 slices. Cover each slice with plastic wrap and smack gently (is that an oxymoron?) with a meat mallet until about 1/3″ thin.  Season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and herbes de Provence.

Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium to medium-high heat and then add the oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the pork tenderloin, in batches if necessary. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until done (they will cook quickly, since they are so thin) and then move to a plate and keep warm.

Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt to the pan and saute for a couple minutes before adding the garlic. Pour in the marsala to deglaze, being sure to scrape up all the browned bits from the meat. Reduce the marsala by about half. Reduce the heat to low and then stir in the goat cheese, until incorporated with the wine. Season to taste and serve over the tenderloin. (If necessary, add the pork tenderloin into the sauce for a minute or two at the end to re-heat).

Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 273 / Fat: 11.6g / Saturated Fat: 4.4g / Carbs: 6g / Fiber: 0.5g / Protein: 27.6g

Molly Jean June 1, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Mmmmm, what a tasty change of pace!

Susan from Food Blogga June 1, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Hah! My husband should come over your house then. He has been asking me to make chicken marsala and I haven’t yet!

Shauna June 1, 2009 at 3:00 pm

This sounds delicious! My husband isn’t a huge fan of goat cheese, but he may not mind it in this recipe. I think I may have to give it a shot.

Ivy June 1, 2009 at 3:17 pm

The recipe sounds delicious and I love all the ingredients in this recipe. Do you have any idea with what Greek wine I can substitute Marsala? Is is a sweet red wine like mavrodaphne or is it a dry red wine?

elly June 1, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Hi Ivy. Marsala comes in both dry and sweet (I didn’t specify, but I did use sweet in this recipe) but since it’s fortified, it’s definitely more on sweet side, like a port. I think mavrodaphne would definitely be a good substitution.

arimou0 June 1, 2009 at 3:41 pm

At least your husband is predictable and you don’t have to think too much when making dinner? LOL That looks delicious :)

Bellini Valli June 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm

This is a step up from the Chicken Marsala but truthfully both sound delicious Elly!!

Kerstin June 1, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Yum, looks so good and I love how healthy it is! I didn’t know Marsala kept longer than other wines, very interesting!

My hubby is also predictable. He always wants chicken :)

burpexcuzme June 1, 2009 at 11:00 pm

haha, your hubby is like my dad…he just like to eat the same fav all the time! but way to make both of you happy with a little change…
and high five! I LOVE goat’s cheese!

burpexcuzme June 1, 2009 at 11:00 pm

and high five! I LOVE goat’s cheese!

nina June 2, 2009 at 6:07 am

Marsala AND goat’s cheese…..hubby must have been so impressed! I am so trying this with my half-bottle in the cupboard!!

maria June 2, 2009 at 7:46 am

Wow, Ellie it looks amazing and being that I have pork out and a basket of mushrooms waiting to be used I think this may be dinner tonight. Great combination of both your favorites with a surprising twist. The pork looks so tender. Mmmmmm … mind you it’s only 8:46 a.m.

maria June 2, 2009 at 7:46 am

Peter June 2, 2009 at 9:53 am

Oh yeah…sweet Marsala and tart goat cheese…love the taste contrasts.

Colleen June 2, 2009 at 10:27 am

Mmm you had me at goat cheese!

Brianna June 2, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Elly – you’ve done it again. Used goat cheese in such a way that makes me want to make this immediately!

Brianna June 2, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Juliana June 2, 2009 at 11:50 pm

This dish looks delicious…marsala, goat cheese and mushrooms…yummie! Such a great combination of flavors.

Suzanne Lawler June 21, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Your recipes look sensational! I plan on trying quite a few of them! I’m not familiar with a few of the ingrediants, but the next town over, Roslindale, MA, has a greek bakeries, etc. and I think I will probably be able to find them there.

Suzanne Lawler June 21, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Michaela January 27, 2010 at 7:30 pm

My husband made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS!!! Thank you!!!

kathleen March 1, 2010 at 10:00 pm

My family and I love this recipe. We substitute Gorgonzola for goat cheese because the first time we tried it we were out of goat cheese. It is delicious! thank you so much!!