Back in the Kitchen (with Elle's Chicken)

April 7, 2009 · 40 comments

in chicken/poultry,dairy-free,healthy

:::halts the tumbleweed that’s been rolling across elly says opa::::

Phew.  It’s been a while, huh?  Between the packing, moving, and unpacking (well, that part’s not really done yet…) the blog has been a little neglected.

And guess what?  Yesterday morning, as I was trying to make my eggs for breakfast, I discovered that my bright new shiny professional-line range just stopped working.  We could light the burners with a match, but the oven and knobs weren’t working because , even though it’s gas, it has this fancypants electric ignition system, which apparently is not so fancypants on my particular range.  Thankfully, our developers/contractors are on the case so we don’t have to be.  But in the meantime, I’ll have to stick to stovetop meals and risk burning off fingers/eyebrows while lighting the stove.

This recipe from Elle was the perfect solution to my range dilemma and my lack-of-many-groceries-dilemma, too. I was actually just telling Tom the other day that herbes de Provence may be my new favorite herb blend.  I’ve been using it a lot lately, and here it is again.

I made this with two chicken breast halves (about 10 oz. total) so I had more sauce than Elle’s recipe, per person. But, it was nice to spoon over our whole wheat couscous. If you plan on serving this with couscous/pasta, I’d leave the amounts as-is, but if you plan on serving a different side like roasted potatoes, I would use 4 chicken breast halves or reduce the sauce recipe by about half.

Remember my love for the broiler? I also  have a lot of love for my toaster oven. I think my particular toaster oven is at  least 20 years old, but it works perfectly fine.  It’s great for roasting vegetables for two, keeping meats warm, and reheating bread and pizzas. I debated getting rid of it before the move, but Tom persuaded me to keep it. Good thing, too, because it definitely came in handy for roasting some zucchini that could otherwise not be roasted.

This is an easy, healthy recipe that  you can make pretty much exclusively with pantry ingredients.

Chicken St. Remy

Adapted from Elle’s New England Kitchen

2 chicken breast halves (about 5 oz. each)
dried herbes de Provence, to taste
2 tsp. olive oil
2 shallots, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup red wine
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juice
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence
1/2 tsp. dried basil

Sprinkle the chicken with herbes de Provence, salt & pepper to taste. Heat a pan that has a tight fitting lid over medium heat and add the oil. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes per side, just to brown, not to cook through. Remove to a plate.

Saute the shallot and garlic in the pan for a minute or two before adding the wine to deglaze. Cook until the shallots are tender and the wine is reduced to just a few tablespoons. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, herbes de Provence, dried basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken back in and then cover, and reduce the heat. Simmer about 8-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Cate April 7, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I also have an undying love for toaster ovens. My parents had one that finally died after something like 30 years, and it was just perfect for making small batches of bruschetta, broiled cheese sandwiches, and reheating leftovers (because we didn’t have a microwave until I was 12).
I hope the stove issue is resolved quickly!

Cate April 7, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I hope the stove issue is resolved quickly!

Peter G April 7, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Be careful with that stove! Welcome back Elly…a wonderful dish as usual. I too love herbes de Provence and I think they add great flavour to dishes.

Peter G April 7, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Maria April 7, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Glad to see you back! I too love my toaster oven and use it often. This sounds like a great dish–remember seeing it posted on Elle’s web site and thinking how good it looked. Really like the shallots here.

Maria April 7, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Erin April 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm

This looks great! I love how simple but delicious it looks. I will definitely have to give it a try!

Erin April 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Ivy April 8, 2009 at 7:12 am

Welcome back Elly. This looks like a very healthy and delicious dish.

Ivy April 8, 2009 at 7:12 am

Welcome back Elly. This looks like a very healthy and delicious dish.

Lindsey April 8, 2009 at 7:38 am

Welcome back and congrats on the move! This chicken looks wonderful, we use Herbes de Provence a lot in our house too!

Lindsey April 8, 2009 at 7:38 am

Joelen April 8, 2009 at 7:43 am

Looks delicious! Hope you’re enjoying your new place!

Joelen April 8, 2009 at 7:43 am

Looks delicious! Hope you’re enjoying your new place!

Melissa April 8, 2009 at 9:15 am

You’ve gotta love toaster ovens!
I am starring this one for sure, looks delicious!

Melissa April 8, 2009 at 9:15 am

You’ve gotta love toaster ovens!
I am starring this one for sure, looks delicious!

Elle April 8, 2009 at 11:19 am

It looks delicious, and is giving me a lunchtime craving! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I hope your oven gets its act together sooner than later!

Elle April 8, 2009 at 11:19 am

joan nova April 8, 2009 at 11:39 am

You were missed…good luck in your new home. We’ll be expecting some special offering from that fancypants oven!

joan nova April 8, 2009 at 11:39 am

Kiki April 8, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Welcome back! we missed you around here! You’ll be pleased to see our progress (http://bettyscuisine.blogspot.com/)

Enjoy the new place!

Kiki April 8, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Enjoy the new place!

Cynthia Nelson April 8, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Hey sweetie, it is good to see you again.

Cynthia Nelson April 8, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Hey sweetie, it is good to see you again.

JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen April 9, 2009 at 10:46 am

Wow, Elly, looks like I missed a lot while I was away! Congrats on your new diggs! It is nice to hear that you found a great place – have fun settling in! That chicken looks YUMMY.

JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen April 9, 2009 at 10:46 am

Kerstin April 9, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Look yummy – I love having chicken recipes on hand that only require ingredients I already have in my pantry! I’m going to bookmark this one :) I hope your oven starts behaving soon!

Kevin April 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm

That chicken dinner looks really good!

Kevin April 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm

That chicken dinner looks really good!

Psychgrad April 11, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Welcome back! Congrats on getting through (most of) the move! I’m jealous of the sounds of your range.

The dish looks like something we would like!

Psychgrad April 11, 2009 at 2:45 pm

The dish looks like something we would like!

Peter April 13, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Kaloriziko on the new home! As for the chicken dish, Elle rocks but now you may call this one Chicken St. Elly!

Peter April 13, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Erin April 13, 2009 at 9:39 pm

You guys bought a place? That’s AWESOME!! Congrats. You and Tom are going to have a blast setting it up. I can’t believe Joe and I have been in our condo now for almost a year… and we still love it, so that’s a good sign! You should post a few pics once you’re settled in. Good luck with the range… it sounds pretty cool, if you can get it to work!

Oh, and I’m totally with you on the Herbes de Provence addiction. I use it ALL THE TIME! I feel like its the magic seasoning for any boring dish. This chicken sounds really great.

Erin April 13, 2009 at 9:39 pm

elra April 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Looks mighty delicious serve with couscous.
Cheers,
elra

Renea April 14, 2009 at 6:06 am

You think you’ve been on a hiatus! This looks terrific. Hope you’re getting settled in your new home!

Renea April 14, 2009 at 6:06 am

Bellini Valli April 14, 2009 at 8:03 am

I hope your stove dilemna is no longer a problem soon. In the meantime I will enjoy your stove tip creations…don’t forget it’s BBQ season…Yay!!

Bellini Valli April 14, 2009 at 8:03 am