Chestnut Soup and My Recipe Addiction

January 14, 2009 · 30 comments

in healthy,soups and stews,vegetarian

I have a recipe problem.  You see, I rarely cook from a recipe and yet I have approximately 23 million recipes saved to try.  I don’t really believe in new year’s resolutions but I must say that this year, I am really going to make an active effort to try some of the things I have had bookmarked for months. Years, maybe.

My internet favorites? Whoa. I would venture to say 95% of my saved sites are recipes (and are completely unorganized, of course). Add in there the fact that I have 2 home computers and one work computer and you are looking at a borderline-crazy addiction. Did I mention Google Reader? Because I have about 300 recipes saved there, too.

And I don’t limit my addiction to the space-saving Internet. Oh, no. I have cookbooks that take up space, and magazines, too.  I even started a project a couple weeks ago. I  have all these old cooking magazines sitting around taking up space. Here’s a sample.

I decided to go through these magazines one by one and rip out every recipe that sounds good, and then recycle the magazines. Eventually I plan on bookmarking the recipes online rather than keeping the clippings, but for now this removes some of the clutter and will refresh my mind about things I want to make. Even if I don’t try these recipes, they often act as inspiration.

This recipe has been saved since the beginning of soup-making season – LAST year.  In fact, it sounded so good when I saw it that I told myself I would be making it pretty much immediately. OK, so my promise finally came to fruition well over a year later.

And it kinda sucks I waited, too, because this is a good soup. Have I told you how much I love chesnuts? Oh, man. I am such a happy camper sitting around peeling and eating roasted chestnuts. I love mushrooms, too. This soup is such a nice combo of those earthy, delicious flavors.  But *of course* I had to add some bacon.  This would be a delicious vegetarian soup if you omit the bacon and use vegetable stock. It’s so creamy and rich and yet, it has no cream in it.

I am submitting this post (hopefully the first of many to come this year!) to Ruth, who hosts Bookmarked Recipes weekly.

Chestnut Soup with Porcini Mushrooms and Sauteed Root Vegetables

Adapted from Sara Moulton
Serves 4

1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
2 cups hot water
3-4 slices bacon, diced
1/2 Tbsp. butter
1 parsnip, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 celery rib, sliced
2 large shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic,  minced
1 bouquet garni (1 sprig thyme, 1 sprig parsley,  1 Turkish bay leaf)
3 Tbsp. sherry
3.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 lb. roasted and peeled chestnuts, coarsley chopped
Creme fraiche or sour cream for garnish

Combine dried mushrooms and water and let stand about 15 minutes, until mushrooms are soft.

Add bacon to medium heat and cook. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.  If there’s  more than 1/2 Tbsp or so of bacon grease, pour the excess off, and then add in the butter. To the pot, add the parsnip, carrot, celery, shallots and garlic. Saute until tender, then deglaze with the sherry and reduce slightly. Add the bouquet garni and the broth.

Transfer the porcinis to the pot, and also pour in the soaking liquid being sure  not to pour in any of the sediment that has settled at the bottom. Add chestnuts and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the herbs and puree the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. Garnish with bacon and, if desired, parsley and sour cream.

Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 166 / Fat: 5.8g / Carbs: 24.5g / Fiber: 1.7g / Protein: 5g

Mary Ellen January 14, 2009 at 7:51 pm

This looks so comforting and I also love starting soups with bacon! Bacon does make everything better.

Mary Ellen January 14, 2009 at 7:51 pm

bensbaby116 January 14, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I feel ya on the bookmarked / saved recipe thing. I think I could eat for a year just cooking new things that I saved recipes for, haha. My husband loves chestnuts but not mushrooms. I wonder if I could get him to eat mushrooms this way. Hmm…

bensbaby116 January 14, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Joelen January 14, 2009 at 11:49 pm

What a great dish for the winter! I’ve been eyeing chestnuts at Trader Joes but haven’t had a reason to buy them… but now I do! :)

Joelen January 14, 2009 at 11:49 pm

giz January 15, 2009 at 5:32 am

I never know what to do with chestnuts – I need to try this soup – it does look mighty fine. Even cutting out the recipes, I still have trouble recycling the mags.

giz January 15, 2009 at 5:32 am

joan nova January 15, 2009 at 6:29 am

I can see why you saved this one!

joan nova January 15, 2009 at 6:29 am

I can see why you saved this one!

Peter G January 15, 2009 at 6:42 am

Welcome to recipeaholics anonymous! Love this soup Elly…chestnuts are absolutely amazing and delicious. I love them in this soup!

Peter G January 15, 2009 at 6:42 am

maria January 15, 2009 at 9:20 am

Sounds delicious. Nice variety of vegetables and the earthiness of the porcinis (my utmost favorite mushrooms) must pair amazingly well with the chestnuts and bacon.

maria January 15, 2009 at 9:20 am

Kate January 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Interesting fact:
The hubs likes roasted chestnuts on their own, but not in any dishes.
I like roasted chestnuts in dishes, but not on their own.

Kate January 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Interesting fact:
The hubs likes roasted chestnuts on their own, but not in any dishes.
I like roasted chestnuts in dishes, but not on their own.

Peter January 15, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I made a mushroom and chestnut soup over the holidays and I can relate to this…earthy, delicious an filling.

Mia January 15, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Warning: be careful with the clippings. I had this exact thought, and followed through with the exact *genius* and earth-saving idea. However, I have ended up with stacks of pages instead. So now I had to break down and come up with a solution to manage them. So here is my solution (for now): I bought a strap hinge scrapbook (has paper pages) and some removable adhesive (reposition-able scrapbook glue). So I pretty much made post its out of the recipes I’ve clipped. So now they are temporarily housed in a book until I ditch them or put them in my recipe collection. It’s my in between so I don’t have stacks (and stacks) of magazine pages that have delicious recipes I’ve never made. Hope it helps.

Mia January 15, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Ivy January 17, 2009 at 12:21 am

I suppose this is something that happens to all foodies. I’ve cut out all the recipes I thought were good and now I have them in a box but never find time to look through them any more, in fact I don’t even look through the many cookbooks I have.
The recipe sounds delicious and in fact I have all the ingredients, except the Turkish bay leaf. I have Greek bay leaves though :)

Erin January 17, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I’ve been super busy and not blogging much lately, so it was just today I realized you’ve switched to a new url! Looks great!

I cut up a bunch of my cooking magazines a year or two ago, when I got sick of the huge pile that I didn’t want to get rid of. I taped the recipes onto white paper and put them into sheet protectors in a binder, so now a bunch of the recipes are saved there. I love organizing like that :)

Erin January 17, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Arika January 20, 2009 at 9:06 am

So glad to be in the roundup with you! I also share your recipe addiction though my OCDness forces me to occasionally go through and edit a bit =) I also have a large stack of Saveur I cannot bear to part with as the pictures are just so darn beautiful. This recipe sounds elicious and I love your blog.
Arika
My Yummy Life

Arika January 20, 2009 at 9:06 am

Arika
My Yummy Life

Maggie January 20, 2009 at 1:32 pm

This sounds like a great combination! I really love chestnuts.

Ruth E January 21, 2009 at 6:02 am

Hi Elly,

Great soup – looks so comforting and inviting! Thanks for sending this into the bookmarked recipes round up

Ruth

peabody January 22, 2009 at 11:55 am

I have only had chestnut soup once, but it was wonderful. I will have to give it a try at home.

peabody January 22, 2009 at 11:55 am

Kevin January 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm

A chestnut soup sounds good!

Kevin January 22, 2009 at 9:57 pm

A chestnut soup sounds good!